Clutch vs Gears.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Caito
Caito

Clutch vs Gears.

Hello guys. I've got a question to you:

Do you know if it would be better/feasible using the clutch to control speed?

What I mean is this. If the engine has max power at 10.000RPM. Put 1st, leave it 10kRPM and work out the speed with clutch release. Once the clutch is totally released, you put 2nd (engine still at 10krpm) and you gain speed releasing the clutch.

So we would have an ECU keeping 10kRPM and instead of an accelerator we would have a clutch release pedal.

I thought of this just because you can keep the engine at max power at all times. But I don't know much about clutches, so I couldn't answer myself.

Bye bye

Caito
Come back 747, we miss you!!

flynfrog

Re: Clutch vs Gears.

top fuel cars have no gears and slip the clutch for the entire run. then again the clutch only has to live for a few seconds

l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Caito, the effect you are describing - maintaining maximum engine power while varying wheel speed - is also achieved by CVT transmissions like those found on scooters or many forklifts. Essentially, the throttle pedal determines the power level, which determines the rpm level, chosen by the rpm range that produces that power most efficiently, and then the transmission varies it's ratio according to wheel speed.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Your engine would be at a good point in the RPM range, sure.. but if you're just slipping a clutch you wouldn't be applying all that power to the wheels.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

countersteer
countersteer

I was once a guest of the Loc-Tite sponsored Funny Car team run by Whit Bazemore. During tear down after a run, the clutch disc (fully metallic) is removed from the car and thrown in a 5 gallon bucket of water which it promptly brought to a boil. The clutch disc was replaced every few runs. In fact, brought two home with me....

Caito
Caito

Thank you for the answers guys.

l4mbch0ps: I know CVT, but was thinking in rules and regulations so the regular gearbox would be a must.

Jersey Tom: I know you wouldn't be applying that power to the ground but just a fraction. The question would be if that fraction would be bigger than just having the clutch with 0 slip and lower RPM.

countersteer: Single clutch? Do you know why it was fully metallic?

Bye bye!

Caito.-
Come back 747, we miss you!!