Design: Yesterday's Cars of the Future

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Ciro Pabón

Design: Yesterday's Cars of the Future

There were (there are!) so many of them...

After reading about a project to reconstruct it, here you have what I hope is the first one:

1930's: Dymaxion Car

Designers:

Buckminster Fuller, "maverick thinker, a gentle revolutionist, a loveable genius, an anti-academician, doctor of science, doctor of arts, doctor of design" (according to himself), expelled from Harvard twice and broken entrepreneur at the time (according to me).

W. Starling Burgess, "a Harvard dropout who had become a brilliant aviation engineer, yacht designer and poet, but also a womanizer, alcoholic and morphine addict"

Nannie Dale Biddle, "a wealthy socialite and aviatrix who financed the project until she clashed with Fuller (an occupational hazard for his business partners) and fell for the dashing Burgess, becoming the fourth of his five wives."

Image of car reconstructed from original plans by Crosthwaite & Gardiner for Norman Foster (check Spaceport America, a couple of you might like the very idea of it).

Specs:

30 mpg (8 lt/100 km)
11 passengers
140 kph max. speed
6.1 m length
Ford V8 engine, 85 Hp
Three wheeler with front drive

It (probably) inspired the VW van and it is a precursor of the Aptera. Ill fated, during a demo, the first prototype crashed, killing the driver because the roof, made of light materials, was crushed. Some people argue (sigh) that Chrysler killed the project because investors believed the Dymaxion would hinder sales of other models (yeah, sure).

Now, for those of you interested in mechanical puzzles, can you solve this one?

http://www.crosthwaiteandgardiner.com/c ... ompReq.htm

I transcribe the questions that the people at Crosthwaite & Gardiner has about this car:

1. What's the component next to the ashtray in this picture?

2. What's the pushrod assembly in the same picture?

3. Is that a cigar lighter next to the pushrod assembly?

4. The door handles shown in the next two pictures, what are they from?

I hope somebody will come with another "car of the future" of the past... or some guesses about those questions, that you can deliver to the builders.
Ciro

xpensive
xpensive

Re: Design: Yesterday's Cars of the Future

This classic was well ahead of its time, designed by aerospace engineers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_92
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes, yes, yes, I'm a Benz fan. But you still have to say that everything about this car in 1969 was very forward thinking. From engines to design, this car sums alot up of what people were looking at back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C111

More could have been done.
David Purley

Pandamasque

Now that's a great idea for a thread!
xpensive wrote:This classic was well ahead of its time, designed by aerospace engineers.

It also sounded like armageddon :twisted: .
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8[/youtube]

Pup
Pup

xpensive wrote:This classic was well ahead of its time, designed by aerospace engineers.

I'd have thought you'd have picked the 92001, which was far more beautiful. Not a 'car of the future' or showcar, but a prototype for the 92...

Fuller's EgoVan, btw, was undrivable and unsafe. He ignored others' warnings about it, only ending the project after the car went out of control and killed someone.

I've posted this one many times over the years, but the Sigma F1 prototype was way ahead of its time. It featured crash structures, a safety cell, and fuel cells years before they were adopted. And I think some of its other ignored advancements are also needed today - wheel to wheel sidepods and full width nosecones and rear bumpers that prevent wheels from becoming entangled and make the cars less fragile, and a centrally mounted wing that not only provides rollover protection, but moves the downforce to the center of the car, allowing it to closely follow another without worrying about washout. I'm actually hoping the TWG will get us a bit closer to this in 2012. They're already talking about lengthening the sidepods.

Last edited by Pup on 20 Sep 2010, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteBlue

Incredibly designed in 1967. Probably 30 years ahead of it's time.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

autogyro
autogyro

I had one in the early 70s WB, a car well before its time.
Fast to.

Richard
Richard

Could someon enlighten the rest of us about make, model and why it was so much of the future please?

autogyro
autogyro

NSU RO80
Wankel Rotary engine mid sixties.

747heavy

At the tender age of 25, well before his work with the Auto Union Type C, Ferdinand Porsche entered the 1900 Paris World Exhibition with his all-electric car after developing the key systems for Jacob Lohner & Company. It was heralded as the "most innovative invention" of the show and consequently orders were filled for 300 of the cars. With 1800 lbs of lead-acid batteries, it's quite amazing the cars would routinely achieve a staggering for the time top speed of 31 mph. Since the motors were an in-wheel system, there was really no problem to include a second set in the back for the purposes of racing.
Last edited by 747heavy on 20 Sep 2010, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

Richard
Richard

Thanks autogyro

I see the NSU Ro80 also had inboard front brakes and a vacuum operated clutch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Ro_80

747 - that porsche even has painted spokes on the wheel covers, just like today's ricers' plastic faux-alloy covers on steel wheels.

747heavy

The Lohner-Porsche petrol-electric 'Mixte' used a petrol engine rotating at a constant speed to drive a dynamo, which charged a bank of accumulators.
These, in turn, fed current to electric motors contained within the hubs of the front wheels.Therefore there was no need of drive shafts, transmission, gears, straps, chains,or clutch. Due to its extreme simplicity the transmission operated, therefore, without losses produced by mechanical friction with an incredible yield of 83%.
So if we apply autogyos logic, demonstrated in many posts here on the board, which demonizing all "old" technology , as shown with it´s comments in regards to current clutch and gearbox technology in F1.
It´s fair to say that EV´s and Hybrids are not that state of the art either, as they still use the basic principles shown some 107 years ago.

Not much different to the ICE car then.
:wink:
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

autogyro
autogyro

Indeed, just think we could have had a clean planet for at least 107 years.
Motor heads are the ones to blame.
Obvious realy.

747heavy

only partly right - as we would have need to generate the electricity somehow.

If we would have had safe and clean nuclear power for the last 107 year, yes maybe
the planet would be a better place by now.

And as you contributed too, by driving your Mercedes SLK, maybe don´t throw the first stone now.
- Colin Chapman

JohnsonsEvilTwin

My Production car nominee would be the Porsce 928
More could have been done.
David Purley