2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pany
Pany

Re: 2021 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Sep 24 - 26

That was redbull mistake. And whas possible to put white tires?
DChemTech wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:34
Shrieker wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:29
RZS10 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:13
Just saw some onboards from Max ... Sainz went off track when both were on slicks and then they all stayed out one more lap and he just drove past them. Really good call, got the inters on the perfect lap.
Was that also one lap before Hamilton stopped for inters ? I vaguely recall a Merc coming in together to pit with a Red Bull, might've been the first stops tho https://i.imgur.com/rQuDZql.gif
Hamilon and Verstappen pitted together on the first stops, yeah. But they were then split on track by Russell and Ricci

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 16:54
Perez will probably feel as though he missed out a shot at the win. If he didn't have that slow stop he could've jumped the Sainz train and been closer to Hamilton and Norris then could have capitalised on the rain.
It's infuriating to see all those slow stops since the new (Mercedes) rules :evil: for "safety" reasons.

DChemTech
DChemTech

ArcticWolfie wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:09
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Perez will probably feel as though he missed out a shot at the win. If he didn't have that slow stop he could've jumped the Sainz train and been closer to Hamilton and Norris then could have capitalised on the rain.
It's infuriating to see all those slow stops since the new (Mercedes) rules :evil: for "safety" reasons.
It is, but Perez didn't seem to be hampered by that this time.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Ugh I feel so bad for Lando. I really wanted him to grab the win here. Unfortunately, it was his call to stay out. I do wish McLaren had been more firm in their decision to bring the driver in. They have the weather report, they would have known what was coming. Merc did that to Lewis and Lewis trusted his team enough to comply.

Lewis despite his poor start did really well I think. He looked really cautious and that cost him places at the start. However it paid back well towards the end of the race. I guess it helps that he had a good pace advantage over the other cars around him. It's weird he couldn't pass Daniel though. Maybe at that stage of the race, he didn't have the straightline speed to take Ric off the straight or enough downforce to keep closer on the twisty parts. That said, he experienced the same issue when he crept up behind Lando.

Max from last to 2nd was an amazing drive. He kept out of trouble and changed to inters at the right time. For a moment there I thought he'd be stuck behind that DRS train but I'm glad the championship is this close.

Sainz drove well too. A well deserved podium IMO.

Bottas... where was he... if it weren't for the rain, he'd be stuck well down the order. I wonder if he's just given up on Mercedes and just shows up to the races to finish his contract.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

ArcticWolfie wrote:
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
Just goes to prove teams were using illegal automated systems though

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

e30ernest wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:20
Ugh I feel so bad for Lando. I really wanted him to grab the win here. Unfortunately, it was his call to stay out. I do wish McLaren had been more firm in their decision to bring the driver in. They have the weather report, they would have known what was coming. Merc did that to Lewis and Lewis trusted his team enough to comply.

Lewis despite his poor start did really well I think. He looked really cautious and that cost him places at the start. However it paid back well towards the end of the race. I guess it helps that he had a good pace advantage over the other cars around him. It's weird he couldn't pass Daniel though. Maybe at that stage of the race, he didn't have the straightline speed to take Ric off the straight or enough downforce to keep closer on the twisty parts. That said, he experienced the same issue when he crept up behind Lando.
It just goes to show how much these cars struggle when following each other. Hamilton was miles quicker than the McLarens today but got stuck behind them once he got in the 1-1.5 second window. It’ll be interesting to see if the same thing happens with next years regulations

ArcticWolfie
ArcticWolfie

Starkblood80 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:23
ArcticWolfie wrote:
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
They weren't illegal... else they would've been banned before. But now everything went back to manual and causes a lot of more trouble for the teams and drivers. Yes there have been unsafe releases, but no mayor accidents so why stop/ban the automated sequences?

Mogster

Starkblood80 wrote:
ArcticWolfie wrote:
BlueCheetah66 wrote:
It also seems these automated systems were making pit stops a formality almost. I like that the change has made human factors more important in pit stops again. It’s an element of unpredictability also.

Seerix
Seerix

Starkblood80 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:26
e30ernest wrote:

It just goes to show how much these cars struggle when following each other. Hamilton was miles quicker than the McLarens today but got stuck behind them once he got in the 1-1.5 second window. It’ll be interesting to see if the same thing happens with next years regulations
He wasn't miles quicker though. That's why Norris has fastest lap.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

ArcticWolfie wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:27
Starkblood80 wrote:
ArcticWolfie wrote:

They weren't illegal... else they would've been banned before. But now everything went back to manual and causes a lot of more trouble for the teams and drivers. Yes there have been unsafe releases, but no mayor accidents so why stop/ban the automated sequences?
Because the FIA have a great record of banning illegal practices promptly don’t they 🤦🏼‍♂️.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Starkblood80 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:33
ArcticWolfie wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:27
Starkblood80 wrote:

Because the FIA have a great record of banning illegal practices promptly don’t they 🤦🏼‍♂️.
They have a great track record of making things illegal halfway a season that weren't illegal before :lol:

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Starkblood80 wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Fundamentally disagree. Lando was quite able to put in the fast laps when it mattered. Yes maybe on average he was a couple of tenths slower per lap, but absolutely no way that was 1-1.5s. He had the ability to push when needed.

Gutted but they’ll bounce back (I hope). Someone needs to get a bit better in the garage to check the weather radar. Seems most teams spotted the increased rain. On top of that, the radio message to lando was wishy washy. Pretty much leaving it to him. Shame he didn’t come in (even a lap too late). Would have secured second place that way

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

Seerix wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:31
Starkblood80 wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

He wasn't miles quicker though. That's why Norris has fastest lap.
Once ricciardo pitted Hamilton set the fastest lap and was then lapping at a similar pace on much older tyres, after the stops Hamilton was gaining on lando at nearly a second per lap at one point. So yes I’d say he was miles quicker than the McLarens right up until he was about a second behind them.

Starkblood80
Starkblood80

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:36
Starkblood80 wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Fundamentally disagree. Lando was quite able to put in the fast laps when it mattered. Yes maybe on average he was a couple of tenths slower per lap, but absolutely no way that was 1-1.5s. He had the ability to push when needed.

Gutted but they’ll bounce back (I hope). Someone needs to get a bit better in the garage to check the weather radar. Seems most teams spotted the increased rain. On top of that, the radio message to lando was wishy washy. Pretty much leaving it to him. Shame he didn’t come in (even a lap too late). Would have secured second place that way
I didn’t say Hamilton was 1-1.5 seconds quicker per lap. He was at one point around 8 tenths quicker though.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Starkblood80 wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:38
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
26 Sep 2021, 17:36
Starkblood80 wrote:

I didn’t say Hamilton was 1-1.5 seconds quicker per lap. He was at one point around 8 tenths quicker though.
Fair enough! I indeed misread your post.
But the point stands that NOR was able to post the fastest lap, with a decent amount of laps into that stint (pre inter chaos)