2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

atanatizante wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 13:41
ringo wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 18:07
El Scorchio wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 12:11

Agree, you'd need a great big slice of luck at the right time, similar to what Verstappen had in Sochi. You can't make up all that time on the front 4-5 cars starting from 20th without a few safety cars, or a red flag or some bizarre weather to do the same thing. Maybe in 2014 when the Mercedes was in a class of it's own, but not in 2021 when it's much more competitive.

Verstappen got through the positions nicely in the first stint but ate his tyres doing so. If anything he was going backwards until the perfect amount of rain (to make it not a slam dunk for everyone to immediately come in at once) came along at the perfect time to bail him out. (a few laps to go, so some in the points chanced their arm on slicks)

Not to say it wouldn't or couldn't happen, but it's very unlikely for those circumstances to occur.
Max was a bit impatient and that lead to his tyres finishing. I do not think Lewis drives the same way. With consistent rain with everyone on the same tyre, I believe it is possible to win from the back once the leaders make mistakes, or they cover each other on a suboptimal strategy then a safety car happens. It is not as impossible as you would imagine. A podium is very easy in the rain from the back with LH driving. I don't recall any wet race that he has not won or podiumed regardless of how far he fell back. Even with the cars being close in performance in the dry; it's usually the case that some cars find the right tyre temps that leaves them 1s a lap faster in the same conditions. A mercedes driven by Lewis will find the podium position in 35 laps of running in the wet. Luck is needed of course, and I did not rule that out.
LH needed luck to win this championship since winter testing. The car is inherently compromised and stuck in development. He needs luck and there is no shame in admitting that.
There is another thing we need to factor in to support here a new PU for HAM had we would have a wet race: RB16B is warming up the tyres quicker than W12 car can hence it has a higher rate of wearing and tearing for any wet weather tyre, as we could see that at Imola. Thus VER will need here at least a 2 stop race strategy if not a 3 one...

On the other side W12 has both warming up issues and it`s kinder with tyres. And bearing in mind the last year race and HAM`s ability to nurse the tyres he`ll need fewer pitstops for wet tyres than VER ... with one caveat, I`d say: he`ll need to start from the pit lane in order to have the best possible wet setup!
I do not think that is "another thing". It is the W12 being a good car and the talk about luck for performance is nonsense. Hamilton so far needed luck to overcome bad strategic decisions and errors.

But I agree with you on the warming issues. The car last year was simply not competitive as long as the track was wet. Only once it really started to have dry lines, the W11 was the fastest car on track. Even Bottas had some good laps in which he did not spin and was close to fastest lap on inters in the end.
I disagree on the tire saving...Merc had good data from struggling Bottas who certainly used the tires a lot. They simply made a smart decisions based on the data and the only one who tried the same was a RP on wet setup...not really benchmark for exceptional tire saving. So Merc was also lucky in the point that some spun and some bottled the strategy with the second stop for inters that did not work in the end.

I therefore think an engine change with rain coming would be the worst thing to do. You end in non visibility, maybe a shortened race, red flags and even more tire warming issues in the traffic. This might even lead to a finish barely in top10. Much too much risk as we have tracks coming where you easily finish on P3 or P4 with an engine change.
Don`t russel the hamster!

AeroDynamic

What if they choose to take a risk on a track that starts without rain, but may rain later? thats the sort of lottery that they can try and bank on but its a high stakes game, its not a given that in a lottery you will come out on top.

I agree though, if you start a race with rain, with an engine penalty, thats probably got some really big downsides and can go all wrong.

basti313
basti313

AeroDynamic wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 14:37
What if they choose to take a risk on a track that starts without rain, but may rain later? thats the sort of lottery that they can try and bank on but its a high stakes game, its not a given that in a lottery you will come out on top.

I agree though, if you start a race with rain, with an engine penalty, thats probably got some really big downsides and can go all wrong.
I fear that coming rain is even worse. If Merc or RB takes a penalty, the goal must be to be in the top 10 after the first round of pit stops. If you look at the lap chart for the last race you can see that on average the top 10 lost places as they could not gamble as the ones out of top 10 like Bot or Rai.
Ver and Ham were both lucky with their decisions. But you should not base anything on luck in this close fight.

NathanOlder

Not sure if this has been mentioned or discussed,

If you take a fresh PU in Brazil, do you sit out of the qualy and sprint race to save even more mileage ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

The other thing people need to remember, is that no driver has to take an entirely new engine. I could easily see Merc deciding to take an ICE only, Then if Lewis puts it on pole he starts no worse than P6.
201 105 104 9 9 7

basti313
basti313

dans79 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 17:27
The other thing people need to remember, is that no driver has to take an entirely new engine. I could easily see Merc deciding to take an ICE only, Then if Lewis puts it on pole he starts no worse than P6.
I would have expected the same for Ver...but they opted for everything. Must have a reason.

I see another chance...all Merc powered teams have the same issue. McLaren, Aston and the Willies all have to take another engine. Why not do it at the same event?

pb6797
pb6797

dans79 wrote:
I think the components (MGU-H, TC) are too closely matched to the engine - and subject to their own wear - for it to really be practical to take just the core ICE.

atanatizante

Maybe they think there is a highly chance of another "Clash of the Titans" ending to DNF for both of them, then HAM could get a free new PU for the remaining races :D ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

NathanOlder

atanatizante wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 20:40
Maybe they think there is a highly chance of another "Clash of the Titans" ending to DNF for both of them, then HAM could get a free new PU for the remaining races :D ...
What do you mean? You don't get a free PU if you DNF. Chances are you lose one in a crash.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ringo

basti313 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 17:53
dans79 wrote:
I would have expected the same for Ver...but they opted for everything. Must have a reason.

I see another chance...all Merc powered teams have the same issue. McLaren, Aston and the Willies all have to take another engine. Why not do it at the same event?
Mercedes can tell all their customers that they need to change their engines now. :mrgreen:
And by doing so LH can be the highest up the grid. So Williams, Mclaren, Aston Martin. That is 6 cars. LH could be mid pack and able to fight from 14th and up, easily getting pass Haas, Alfa Romeo, Alpine, another 6 cars, that would leave Torro Rosso, and Redbull cars to fight with Mercedes.
For Sure!!

basti313
basti313

ringo wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 23:55
basti313 wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 17:53
dans79 wrote:

Mercedes can tell all their customers that they need to change their engines now. :mrgreen:
And by doing so LH can be the highest up the grid. So Williams, Mclaren, Aston Martin. That is 6 cars. LH could be mid pack and able to fight from 14th and up, easily getting pass Haas, Alfa Romeo, Alpine, another 6 cars, that would leave Torro Rosso, and Redbull cars to fight with Mercedes.
Yes, absolutely. The question if the logistics can handle this.
There are some who used a K less than Ham like Rus or Str. But I think this can be handled with another battery or may rectify itself as they might not reach Q3. I would expect that most cars with swaps will not run Q at all, so they can go easy through Q and look for the prime slot to be ahead of all other swapers.

So in sum...
If you take COTA for the full Merc swap, then you have Bottas, the Bulls and Gasly at the front. Alpine is not clear rather low power if we look at Azer or Austria...everything with a Ferrari engine will not be competitive.
So P5 is granted after the first round of stop especially as Merc can easily handle a one stop compared to the full midfield that needs two stops.

_cerber1

atanatizante

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 23:48
atanatizante wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 20:40
What do you mean? You don't get a free PU if you DNF. Chances are you lose one in a crash.
That`s the point! And you`ll not get penalised, as far as I know, had I`m not wrong ...

On the same note, Marko said Turkey, the USA and Mexico are favouring RB16B thus had HAM need to take a new PU it should be at these tracks ...

Then I heard some rumours that HPP is forced by the Daimler bosses to run both ICE and hybrid parts in anger to the maximum possible just to force the Honda part to do the same and eventually crack under pressure. And their argument is that Merc PU is more reliable than the Honda one. And in addition, another reason is that they are already testing some new developments for 2022 and that`s the main reason BOT was changing so many PU already.

Presumably, they are looking at the long game and willing to sacrifice HAM`s championship just to be better prepared for 2022-2025 when the PU will be frozen ...

And a piece of fresh news: at Sky, they speculate that HAM will change only the ICE for this race but Jenson Button just saying it`ll be best to change all the parts...
Last edited by atanatizante on 08 Oct 2021, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

AeroDynamic

Sky just suggested that they understand that Lewis has taken a new engine this morning, just the ICE. so, a 10 place grid penalty.

SiLo

So he could easily start 11th? I could see a podium from there.
Felipe Baby!