2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
djones
djones

Re: 2021 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, Nov 05 - 07

Does Max have a 3 place penalty?

dans79

djones wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:38
What makes you think that?
201 105 104 9 9 7

Shrieker

cooken wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:19
Isn't this corner cutting? I guess it was on the list of corners they don't monitor or whatever, but usually that's more to do with going outside on corner exit rather than cutting the apex. There's no shot of the rear tyers, but the front ones are clearly inside the white line, and given trajectory/steering, the rears definitely will be too.

https://i.ibb.co/f2WYp6d/mvframe223.jpg
Worth taking a look, but I doubt they'll do anything, even if he's fully cut the course. Normally, that lap should be deleted.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

djones
djones

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:52
djones wrote:
I’m sure I heard something in the commentary about him not slowing for a Bottas crash and getting 3 places.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

djones wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 04:08
dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:52
djones wrote:
I’m sure I heard something in the commentary about him not slowing for a Bottas crash and getting 3 places.
You're getting it confused with 2019. No penalties for him this year as far as I'm aware.

cooken
cooken

dans79 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:32
cooken wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 03:19
Isn't this corner cutting? I guess it was on the list of corners they don't monitor or whatever, but usually that's more to do with going outside on corner exit rather than cutting the apex. There's no shot of the rear tyers, but the front ones are clearly inside the white line, and given trajectory/steering, the rears definitely will be too.

https://i.ibb.co/f2WYp6d/mvframe223.jpg
you would have to look at the race directors notes, but hitting the curbs as hard as they did I'm sure was a major contributor to Reb Bulls rear wing issues.
Relevant part taken from the notes (https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... on%203.pdf) which seems to imply you are fine if to the right of the T2 bollard...
FIA Race Director's Event Notes wrote: 21.1 Turns 1, 2, 3
a)Any driver who leaves the track on the left-hand side between Turns 1 and 2, or who passes
to the left of the bollard on the apex of Turn 2, must re-join the track by driving to the left-hand
side of the bollard at Turn 3.
b)A lap time achieved during any practice session or the race by leaving the track and failing to
negotiate Turns 1,2,3 by using the track as detailed above will result in that lap time being
invalidated by the stewards.
...but there's also this:
FIA Race Director's Event Notes wrote: 21.6 Article 27.3
a) Drivers are reminded of the provisions of Article 27.3 of the Sporting Regulations.
FIA Sporting Regulations wrote: 27.3
Drivers must make every reasonable effort to use the track at all times and may not deliberately
leave the track without a justifiable reason.
Drivers will be judged to have left the track if no part of the car remains in contact with it and,
for the avoidance of doubt, any white lines defining the track edges are considered to be part of
the track but the kerbs are not.
Anyway, rules shmules amirite? It also just dawned on my that usually 4 wheels have to be off at the same time which wouldn't be the case here. I guess there's nothing in the rules about cutting a corner in this way. Cool.

This one was pretty darn close though:

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Mansell89 wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 02:11
Gasly in P5 could cause all sorts of headaches for Hamilton, though equally for Perez and the RBR strategy too!

Turn one is going to be so tense 😬
Gasly? How? He probably won't be in Ham's pit window by the time they stop for new tires. This is going to be a one stop race. Perez can play spoiler though, but this time it will be 2 against 2, unlike in Austin when it was Ham against the Redbulls.

El Scorchio

Didn’t get to see qualifying but the result was a huge surprise. I gather Verstappen’s final attempt was ruined, though?

Shrieker

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 05:21
Didn’t get to see qualifying but the result was a huge surprise. I gather Verstappen’s final attempt was ruined, though?
Yep, Tsu mucked up Checo's run, and the 2 going off and kicking dust in the air in turn, ruined Max's.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Shrieker wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 05:23
El Scorchio wrote:
Yep, Tsu mucked up Checo's run, and the 2 going off and kicking dust in the air in turn, ruined Max's.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rIYQ0.html
On the second runs, home favourite Perez ran wide when he got distracted by AlphaTauri’s Yuki Tsunoda running off in front of him, which put him out of pole contention to the dismay of tens of thousands of fans who only have eyes for him.

His team mate Verstappen wasn’t far behind and had to back off slightly as a result of the Mexican’s off, but the reality is he was unlikely to have had the pace to challenge for pole anyway.
Despite looking dominant in practice, Max never looked like he was getting pole in qualification today, Mercedes were getting the soft and mediums working better than red bull.

casper
casper

There are consequences for cutting corners and riding over the sausage kerbs.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... g/6753566/

search

Hammerfist wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 04:48
This is going to be a one stop race. Perez can play spoiler though, but this time it will be 2 against 2, unlike in Austin when it was Ham against the Redbulls.
Mercedes saved an additional set of new Mediums for the race, so I wouldn't be too sure it's really one stop only.

But of course, maybe they only did it to be able to attack Red Bull from the 2nd row - could be a different story now from 1-2

Tizz

Shrieker wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 05:23
El Scorchio wrote:
To me that sounds like a poor excuse. Max was complaining he had no rear grip, was sliding and oversteering, was not improving from the run on mediums in Q2 to the run on softs in Q3 and personally I think that had more to do with it.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Juzh wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 00:43
bonjon1979 wrote:
06 Nov 2021, 23:39
Red bull went backwards with increase of track temp. They only beat the alpha turi by a tenth so clearly this is the case. Merc stayed pretty much where they were relative to the rest of the grid. Just got to use a brain and look at the lap times to see what happened.
I thought so too, but Verstappen was complaining about cold rear tyres after his first Q3 run, so that doesn't seem to be the case.
I'm sure there were issues with tyre temps on the red bull, which is why they went backwards relative to the rest of the field. Or are we suggesting that in the normal run of things red bull are only a tenth quick than AT?

Stu

ringo wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 01:42
Bottas already said he is willing to play team orders. He isnt fussy about it.
Just like how Perez let Max through at COTA, Bottas is wright to let Lewis through and then play bowling ball with all honda engined cars. lol

Wouldn’t look at all pre-emotive….
Boot on the other foot and Perez gets the jump on Verstappen, then “plays bowling ball” with both Mercedes; all of you anti-Maxxers will simply say “oh well, --- happens”, I guess?

Why not want a good race? Demolition Derbies are good fun when that is on the race-card on a Sunday afternoon at the Adrian Flux Arena, but not for F1.

A deliberate act (and as Bottas did just this ‘accidentally’ a few races ago; a repeat would not look accidental!), should result in a team penalty, such as that delivered on Schumacher in 1997 (after the cynical Villeneuve chop).

Mods, posts such as the quoted here really should be removed.

Edit for correction: Schumacher/Villeneuve incident was 1997
Also no idea why all in bold!!
Last edited by Stu on 07 Nov 2021, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.