2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Tizz wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 00:39
Gillian wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 00:18
I don't know how close it will be between Russell and Hamilton. I'm not convinced it even will be that exciting. Russel has shown he can drive sure, but for me it's hard to determine how good he actually is. But maybe I'm just a bit slow in getting it or something. I just never had those doubts about Hamilton and Verstappen. So to me it's a bit premature to think Russell is on that level.
Ofcourse he has a lot to prove but this stand-in drive for Hammi was deeply impressive. At least he brings a little bit more personality to the front of the grid... Looking forward to this whole new situation with a lot of excellent young drivers and totally new cars next year.
But he was driving instead of Hamilton, not against Hamilton. ( :mrgreen: )

It is one of these A is as good at beating C as B is. But how would A do against B.
As we spoke of above, a Going fast around a track is not the same as racing around a track, especially if they are in the same car and with the same support team.

It is quite possible that Russell is a fast as Hamilton, but I doubt he would beat him head to head for a couple of years.

(edit from here)
Which is partly why I am impressed with Max, he is beating Hamilton as well as Merc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tizz

Big Tea wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 00:55

It is one of these A is as good at beating C as B is. But how would A do against B.
As we spoke of above, a Going fast around a track is not the same as racing around a track, especially if they are in the same car and with the same support team.

It is quite possible that Russell is a fast as Hamilton, but I doubt he would beat him head to head for a couple of years.

(edit from here)
Which is partly why I am impressed with Max, he is beating Hamilton as well as Merc.
For me it is not about who is quickest. My point is that Vettel had 4 good years but then the blown diffuser got scrapped, the character of the car changed and all of a sudden he couldn't make it work. The rulechanges are (I think) so profound that it may well be so that it is the equivalent of a ctrl-alt-del and everybody starts at square 1. Russell seemed to feel at ease immediately in a for him totally new car. He has already done that excercise succesfully. We'll see about the others.

Big Tea

Tizz wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 01:18
Big Tea wrote:

(edit from here)
For me it is not about who is quickest. My point is that Vettel had 4 good years but then the blown diffuser got scrapped, the character of the car changed and all of a sudden he couldn't make it work. The rulechanges are (I think) so profound that it may well be so that it is the equivalent of a ctrl-alt-del and everybody starts at square 1. Russell seemed to feel at ease immediately in a for him totally new car. He has already done that excercise succesfully. We'll see about the others.
I agree with that, but there is also the head to head on the track, as they will be driving the same car.
Yes, driving style and preference comes into it, but so does (looking for the right word here) 'nouse' and 'gamesmanship' (mind games???).
Neither of which are quantifiable, but Hamilton has lots of and Russell is a new boy. He may learn quickly, or just side step the problem. The old master v the young stallion.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ringo

JordanMugen wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:32
Morteza wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 22:46
Bottas was a joke today
ringo wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:11
Bottas is a sneaky little snake.
Wolff had the chance to buy out Russell's Williams contract for '21 as Bottas was out-of-contract, but choose not to and rather to renew Bottas. A most curious decision!

Given that decision to put Bottas in the car again, it would be illogical for Wolff to now be cross with Bottas. :)

It's a shame really, as while it is nice that the Williams is much more competitive this season, it would have been nice to see Russell battling with Verstappen, Perez and Hamilton week-in and week-out. Some think Russell is a bit of an ace and potentially could've outperformed Bottas over the season - although others think otherwise and that the proven Bottas is a superior performer and choice to Russell.
Bottas has the speed. I think he is faster than Russel in raw pace. What i think he lacks is everything else that ace drivers have. His speed is not in question.. just his head and his craft. They say champions are born not made and Bottas proves this.
For Sure!!

WaikeCU

ringo wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 02:30
JordanMugen wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:32
Morteza wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 22:46
Bottas was a joke today
ringo wrote:
07 Nov 2021, 23:11
Bottas is a sneaky little snake.
Wolff had the chance to buy out Russell's Williams contract for '21 as Bottas was out-of-contract, but choose not to and rather to renew Bottas. A most curious decision!

Given that decision to put Bottas in the car again, it would be illogical for Wolff to now be cross with Bottas. :)

It's a shame really, as while it is nice that the Williams is much more competitive this season, it would have been nice to see Russell battling with Verstappen, Perez and Hamilton week-in and week-out. Some think Russell is a bit of an ace and potentially could've outperformed Bottas over the season - although others think otherwise and that the proven Bottas is a superior performer and choice to Russell.
Bottas has the speed. I think he is faster than Russel in raw pace. What i think he lacks is everything else that ace drivers have. His speed is not in question.. just his head and his craft. They say champions are born not made and Bottas proves this.
Could also be a multitask thing. The true greats can find that extra speed when needed all the while they are attacking and defending for positions.

Other good drivers, just have the speed, but aren't equally as great at attacking or defending for position.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

AS I said in Race thread, now it is up to Hamilton to up his game and get Pole on every race and drove away to claim 8th WDC. don't dependent team mate... If you want a win you have to put effort not others.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

The big question now is going to be what happens at Brazil. Max now has a 19 point lead. If he manages to win Brazil, that's going to be a 26 point lead, 27 if Max also gets the sprint race win and lewis finishes P2 there, and neither will get fastest lap. if Max gets fastest lap too, that's 28 points lead - so Lewis will have to make up atleast 29 points in two races, 15 points in one and 14 points in the other.

that will prove nearly impossible to overcome as there will just be two races left and Lewis would need to WIN both the last GP's AND get both fastest laps, and max CAN NOT finish higher than P4, which is essentially impossible, and then Lewis will ONLY win by 1 point - which certainly will be denied to him by either tsunoda or gasly getting fresh tires at the last lap to make sure fastest lap is stolen from Lewis to then finish on equal points but thanks to his more race wins, Max will be WDC.

And to be fair, at this point, it's clear as day Bottas is NOT helping Lewis but helping Max, so not only is it impossible for Max to finish P4, Max will ALWAYS finish P2 in EVERY race to follow, since Perez will move away anyway.

The only way Lewis now is going to win the championship if is he wins EVERY GP. That will give him 7 points over Max each race, 1 point advantage over the sprint race, and as such will have him finish the last lap of the last race with a 3 point advantage.

Which, let's be fair, is likely NOT going to be enough to win the championship since Max can wheel in the fastest lap during those 3 races and then still be champion.

So atleast in 1 race Hamilton or Bottas MUST get fastest lap, or Stroll (Vettel won't play game i think) will have to be planned to get in a fastest lap in the last lap. It doesn't matter if he gets p10 or not, as he will simply have prevented a top-10 finisher gets fastest lap.

ONLY in that case Hamilton gets to win.

Problem imo is, Brazil is far more likely to be RB territory right now. And even then, even IF Hamilton manages Pole every race, the RB still has a pace advantage sufficient to beat the Mercs.

ONLY if Hamilton WINS Brazil's sprint AND main race, AND Max doesn't get fastest lap, he will have a chance.

BUT since friday will be WET, and QUALIFICATION for the sprint race will be on friday, that's going to be an easy pole for Max, so it'll be an easy P1 for Max at the sprint race, and thanks to that an easy win on sunday.

Even IF Max then gets a DNF @ the Qatar GP - unlikely to happen - he will still have atleast a 2 point lead to Lewis.

Which means if Hamilton finishes AHEAD of Max, Hamilton will win the championship but atleast has to finish 8th to do so.
If Max is in front of Hamilton, it's simply OVER and Max is WDC.

What i find unfair yet impressive in a certain way is that EVERYTHING is being done to steal Hamilton that 8th title away from him by EVERYBODY.
The fact Hamilton still is in contention is all the more remarkable.

because let's be fair here:

the FIA delibarately MESSED things up for the 2021 season for the sole purpose of spicing things up ARTIFICIALLY by (too) late announcing an unexpected and unfair change in the floor regulations for 2021, knowing fully well that this would hamper Mercedes (and Aston btw) the most, and the rest of the field practically not at all.
They essentially forced teams to go into high-rake design, and Mercedes is the opposite of that and can NOT alter this by any means.
so the FIA already played an unfair game to Hamilton (and Mercedes), knowing this would hugely benefit RB.

A rule change that makes no sense at all concidering 2022 will see completely different philosophy anyway.

Not just that, but not only is Hamilton then being handicapped by the FIA, he is also handicapped by his own teammate.
Bottas not only is NEVER THERE, to be a wedge between him and Max and as such 'steal points' from Max, whenever he IS there,
he doesnt even defend, he literally moves ASIDE time and time again to just let his rival breeze past. AND that same teammate was also being an extra #%$@ by trying to set the fastest lap for NO reason at all and steal an extremely valuable point from Lewis - his own teammate.

On top of that, when Max delibarately ran into him and parked his car on top of his head, he only got a minor grid penalty which was completely undone by changing engine and then being able to tool the car how they want to, and got rewarded with a p2 thanks to the rain at the end of the GP.

Finally, let's not forget, Lewis has been definately more fatigued than he ever was - probably still an aftermath from Covid last year - to the point he almost fainted at the podium and was heavily breathing at the end of the GP's at the first half of the season.

I do hope for a dominant win of Lewis in all Brazil sessions. Qually, Sprint race and main race AND a fastest lap. I don't see how that is going to happen, but i hope for it.
Again, that would reduce Max' lead by 9 points, and cut it down to a 10 point lead. That would keep the championship exciting. Likely that fastest lap point won't happen, so it would turn out into 11 point lead for Max.

If Lewis then wins the Qatar GP, Max will STILL have a 4 point lead. Would Lewis also grab fastest lap, that would be a 2 point lead.

In any case, it's unlikely at this point Hamilton will get his 8th title.
I would have been fully okay with that if the battle would have been fair, but the floor-cutting FIA trick simply doesn't make it fair and Max title will always be tainted.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 05:17
The big question now is going to be what happens at Brazil. Max now has a 19 point lead. If he manages to win Brazil, that's going to be a 26 point lead, 27 if Max also gets the sprint race win and lewis finishes P2 there, and neither will get fastest lap. if Max gets fastest lap too, that's 28 points lead - so Lewis will have to make up atleast 29 points in two races, 15 points in one and 14 points in the other.

that will prove nearly impossible to overcome as there will just be two races left and Lewis would need to WIN both the last GP's AND get both fastest laps, and max CAN NOT finish higher than P4, which is essentially impossible, and then Lewis will ONLY win by 1 point - which certainly will be denied to him by either tsunoda or gasly getting fresh tires at the last lap to make sure fastest lap is stolen from Lewis to then finish on equal points but thanks to his more race wins, Max will be WDC.

And to be fair, at this point, it's clear as day Bottas is NOT helping Lewis but helping Max, so not only is it impossible for Max to finish P4, Max will ALWAYS finish P2 in EVERY race to follow, since Perez will move away anyway.

The only way Lewis now is going to win the championship if is he wins EVERY GP. That will give him 7 points over Max each race, 1 point advantage over the sprint race, and as such will have him finish the last lap of the last race with a 3 point advantage.

Which, let's be fair, is likely NOT going to be enough to win the championship since Max can wheel in the fastest lap during those 3 races and then still be champion.

So atleast in 1 race Hamilton or Bottas MUST get fastest lap, or Stroll (Vettel won't play game i think) will have to be planned to get in a fastest lap in the last lap. It doesn't matter if he gets p10 or not, as he will simply have prevented a top-10 finisher gets fastest lap.

Problem imo is, Brazil is far more likely to be RB territory right now. And even then, even IF Hamilton manages Pole every race, the RB still has a pace advantage sufficient to beat the Mercs.

ONLY if Hamilton WINS Brazil's sprint AND main race, AND Max doesn't get fastest lap, he will have a chance.

BUT since friday will be WET, and QUALIFICATION for the sprint race will be on friday, that's going to be an easy pole for Max, so it'll be an easy P1 for Max at the sprint race, and thanks to that an easy win on sunday.

Even IF Max then gets a DNF @ the Qatar GP - unlikely to happen - he will still have atleast a 2 point lead to Lewis.

Which means if Hamilton finishes AHEAD of Max, Hamilton will win the championship but atleast has to finish 8th to do so.

What i find unfair yet impressive in a certain way is that EVERYTHING is being done to steal Hamilton that 8th title away from him by EVERYBODY.

the FIA delibarately MESSED things up for the 2021 season for the sole purpose of spicing things up ARTIFICIALLY by (too) late announcing an unexpected and unfair change in the floor regulations for 2021, knowing fully well that this would hamper Mercedes (and Aston btw) the most, and the rest of the field practically not at all.
They essentially forced teams to go into high-rake design, and Mercedes is the opposite of that and can NOT alter this by any means.
so the FIA already played an unfair game to Hamilton (and Mercedes), knowing this would hugely benefit RB.

A rule change that makes no sense at all concidering 2022 will see completely different philosophy anyway.

Not just that, but not only is Hamilton then being handicapped by the FIA, he is also handicapped by his own teammate.
Bottas not only is NEVER THERE, to be a wedge between him and Max and as such 'steal points' from Max, whenever he IS there,
he doesnt even defend, he literally moves ASIDE time and time again to just let his rival breeze past. AND that same teammate was also being an extra #%$@ by trying to set the fastest lap for NO reason at all and steal an extremely valuable point from Lewis - his own teammate.

On top of that, when Max delibarately ran into him and parked his car on top of his head, he only got a minor grid penalty which was completely undone by changing engine and then being able to tool the car how they want to, and got rewarded with a p2 thanks to the rain at the end of the GP.

Finally, let's not forget, Lewis has been definately more fatigued than he ever was - probably still an aftermath from Covid last year - to the point he almost fainted at the podium and was heavily breathing at the end of the GP's at the first half of the season.

I do hope for a dominant win of Lewis in all Brazil sessions. Qually, Sprint race and main race AND a fastest lap. I don't see how that is going to happen, but i hope for it.
Again, that would reduce Max' lead by 9 points, and cut it down to a 10 point lead. That would keep the championship exciting. Likely that fastest lap point won't happen, so it would turn out into 11 point lead for Max.

If Lewis then wins the Qatar GP, Max will STILL have a 4 point lead. Would Lewis also grab fastest lap, that would be a 2 point lead.

I would have been fully okay with that if the battle would have been fair, but the floor-cutting FIA trick simply doesn't make it fair and Max title will always be tainted.
Well said. Next year even difficult for Hamilton to win as we are not sure how Russel will play....

JordanMugen

Manoah2u wrote:
Not one pundit predicted that, did you even predict that yourself when the rules were announced? :)

If anything most thought it would disadvantage cars using high rake.

Manoah2u wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 22:17
There is nobody to challenge the Mercs, they're in a league of their own ... RedBull isn't in the best of shape and Max is really agitated so he's now in a place that things are gonna go to his head instead of keep calm.
Shouldn't one be pleased that Mercedes is no longer in a class of it's own and Max is driving smoothly and consistently instead of being agitated? Finally, the close competition Mercedes so desperately craved? :)

Wolff said: “I think you need to stay humble, of course, we try to enjoy the success we’ve had. The success we hopefully have in the future and try to build an organisation that resilient to regulatory change and stays on top of the game. But what I’ve realised is that we love the competition, and when we see a Red Bull coming up and staying close to us, not quite sure we’ll win the race, I enjoy a positive result much more than on a weekend when we are left unchallenged."
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/10/ ... ing-wolff/

selvam_e2002 wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 05:31
Next year even difficult for Hamilton to win as we are not sure how Russel will play....
Hamilton and Russell are entitled to race and compete: to see who is the faster driver and who scores the most points over the season. :)

Ryar

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 05:40
Manoah2u wrote:
Not one pundit predicted that, did you even predict that yourself when the rules were announced? :)

If anything most thought it would disadvantage cars using high rake.
This is Andrew Green from Racing Point (now AM).
https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/19/rea ... -for-2021/
19th June 2020, 8:20 | Written by Dieter Rencken and Keith Collantine wrote:“We understand we do need to peg back the performance of the car and for sure this is going to peg back the performance of the car in 2021. Same for everybody.

I don’t think anybody’s got any big advantage or disadvantage relatively speaking, compared to other teams, because of this change. I think we’re all in the same boat. It’s just never nice when you do a change to the car and you take a very large hit and you realise that it’s not just a small redevelopment to get out, it’s front-to-back.”
At the time when the changes were announced, Technical Director of AM, believed there would neither be an advantage, nor any disadvantage to any particular team! That should rest this unfounded argument that, the 2021 changes were introduced with "full knowledge" that it would hurt Mercedes and Aston.
Hakuna Matata!

ringo

Big Tea wrote:

(edit from here)
I am not too impressed given the regulations and the chassis and engine freeze regulations.
That really sets the context for this year.
One of the lead cars is handicapped by regulation and its characteristics suffer from it.

I think the real showdown between the teams would be next year where mercedes can go all out. This year Lewis was not even able to go a certain direction with the car because they refused to take resources off the next years car.

And even looking on Max and Redbull efforts, I cannot help but notice that Mercedes are managing their handicap to compete. Most of this year Max knows his package is very good and need only setup right to win. Whereas Mercedes have to pray to the racing gods most weekends in hope the car is in some kind of window to be competitive.
Long story short.. this year was not a real showdown because of regulations. And when the drivers do meet on track.. it cannot be said one has been outdriven by the other at all over the season. The small glimmers of Max vs Lewis on the same piece of track where the cars were very close, both did pretty okay jobs.
For Sure!!

Ryar

ringo wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 06:53
Big Tea wrote:

(edit from here)
I am not too impressed given the regulations and the chassis and engine freeze regulations.
One of the lead cars is handicapped by regulation and its characteristics suffer from it.

I think the real showdown between the teams would be next year where mercedes can go all out. This year Lewis was not even able to go a certain direction with the car because they refused to take resources off the next years car.

And even looking on Max and Redbull efforts, I cannot help but notice that Mercedes are managing their handicap to compete. Most of this year Max knows his package is very good and need only setup right to win. Whereas Mercedes have to pray to the racing gods most weekends in hope the car is in some kind of window to be competitive.
Long story short.. this year was not a real showdown because of regulations. And when the drivers do meet on track.. it cannot be said one has been outdriven by the other at all over the season. The small glimmers of Max vs Lewis on the same piece of track where the cars were very close, both did pretty okay jobs.
Is it the regulations or is it the team not getting it right? Just like 2014 and 2017 where Mercedes got it right and Ferrari and Renault didn't (2014). Can't blame regulations for that, especially, when Mercedes has been party to accepting those regulation changes. Just like Ferrari and Renault were to blame themselves for 2014 after having agreed for regulation changes. Renault has struggled till date, whereas Honda came out of a situation like that after a few years. Add to that, the way driver and the strategy teams have erred this year at Mercedes and the situation looks more gross than it is. They have a No.2, who is not happy to be there at all.
Hakuna Matata!

jumpingfish

If Hamilton loses the championship with less than 18 points, it will be because of his own mistake in Baku.

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:

Quatar, Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi is 3 races, not 2!!

Max could still get a DNF and then all is to play for. Assuming Max gets 2nd even if Lewis wins is not a given, Max still may need a new PU (unlikely, but not out of the realms of possibility) and could finish further down if McLaren and/Ferrari are strong on that same circuit.

It's not over yet. Drivers have come back from this far back before, not often, but it can be done!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Ryar wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 07:15
ringo wrote:
08 Nov 2021, 06:53
Big Tea wrote:

(edit from here)

Is it the regulations or is it the team not getting it right? Just like 2014 and 2017 where Mercedes got it right and Ferrari and Renault didn't (2014). Can't blame regulations for that, especially, when Mercedes has been party to accepting those regulation changes. Just like Ferrari and Renault were to blame themselves for 2014 after having agreed for regulation changes. Renault has struggled till date, whereas Honda came out of a situation like that after a few years. Add to that, the way driver and the strategy teams have erred this year at Mercedes and the situation looks more gross than it is. They have a No.2, who is not happy to be there at all.
2014 rule change -- given enough time to prepare the engine and car for all.. 3 years time I believe.
2021 rule change -- not even 6 month time. Seems favored RB
question here is: why all of sudden change rule in 2021 only? cannot they wait for one more year for 2022 new changes?
2022 rule change: 4 years time period given.

that's why all of us raising the question on FIA. It seems Mercedes knows from start that they cannot win and they are giving a try. I don't see Hamilton panicked till date. He knows well in advance that, this year would be 50/50 chance for WCC and WDC.

I believe in 2022 Mercedes again one second lead and others will try to catch up till 2026 next rule change.(see how may penalty for Bottas for engine change -- may be fine tuning engine for next 4 seasons as engine development freeze.)

My worry would be Russel. I want Hamilton to win 8th asap this year itself. next year, Russel may give tough time to Hamilton.