2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

CjC wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 18:42
Xero wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:57
Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:13
Next year with the reset there is a good chance to create a wonder of a car that will be good everywhere.
Same can be said for every single team though. Every chance the team could go backwards in the pecking order, similarly, it could end up being a championship winner. Prepare for anything and everything!
Defo.
Any fan of any team needs to temper any expectations.
Personally as a Mclaren fan I’m thinking no higher than P4/5.

Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari should be ahead due to their facilities.
Question: what happens to Alpha Tauri next season? Do they have to develop their own chassis or can you use Red Bull ‘22 chassis?
Well considering what Brawn GP a small team and various small teams have done in the past during various resets It wouldn't be farfetched to dream of a championship winning car.

michl420
michl420

Strange qualiying. I think tire temperatur is critical at this track. Explaines a bit the up and down of some drivers. And the bad result on the medium tire.

CjC
CjC

Brawn GPs title winning car was developed by Honda the year before. Whilst Mclaren and Ferrari continued to develop their cars for the ‘08 title fight

Mercedes have switched focus to 22 already.
Just a fan's point of view

thestig84
thestig84

Brawn a small team🤣🤣🤣

I quite sure at that point in time that car was the car that had the most development budget ever spent on it. You're in a dream world if you think that happens without budget in this age of F1.

diffuser

CjC wrote:
Xero wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 17:13
Next year with the reset there is a good chance to create a wonder of a car that will be good everywhere.
Same can be said for every single team though. Every chance the team could go backwards in the pecking order, similarly, it could end up being a championship winner. Prepare for anything and everything!
Defo.

Question: what happens to Alpha Tauri next season? Do they have to develop their own chassis or can you use Red Bull ‘22 chassis?
The easiest way to describe the rules for 2022 is you can buy anything structural (gearbox, suspension, etc) but have to design all your own aero(brake ducts, wings, floor, sidpods, engine cover, etc).

CjC
CjC

diffuser wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:42
CjC wrote:
Xero wrote:

Defo.

The easiest way to describe the rules for 2022 is you can buy anything structural(gearbox,suspension,etc) but have to design all your own aero( brake ducts, wings,floor,sidpods,engine over,etc).
Thanks.
The parts you can buy- will they be 2022 spec?
Not that I’m an expert but I assume you can’t carry over much from this season to next?
Maybe the gearbox but surely the current suspension elements/ systems won’t be compatible with the new 18 inch Pirelli tyres?

Seerix
Seerix

VER, SAI, BOT investigated for yellow flags, NOR might start higher if things line up well

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 19:16
CjC wrote:
Xero wrote:

Defo.

Well considering what Brawn GP a small team and various small teams have done in the past during various resets It wouldn't be farfetched to dream of a championship winning car.
But that’s exactly his point… Haas could come up with a Championship winning car, the same could be said of Williams, Aston Martin, Alpine, etc… The reset is the same for everyone, so all teams have a chance to come up with a contender.

The thing is that teams like Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari have more infrastructure than the rest of the teams, potentially better tools and they have demonstrated that for the most part great engineers and overall team members… So, it is to be expected for those teams to be at the front with a regulation change, but they can also get it wrong.

Next year’s performance is anyone’s guess

CjC
CjC

Seerix wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 21:56
VER, SAI, BOT investigated for yellow flags, NOR might start higher if things line up well
To be fair- Norris is due a bit of good qualifying fortune👍🏻

Darth-Piekus

thestig84 wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:29
Brawn a small team🤣🤣🤣

I quite sure at that point in time that car was the car that had the most development budget ever spent on it. You're in a dream world if you think that happens without budget in this age of F1.
Technically BAR Honda which became Honda and which became Brawn GP was a smaller team than the likes of Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams and Benneton which later became Renault. They were a 4th to 5th team with an exception of 2004. Honda has abandoned F1 and the new team didn't even do testing only to demolish the competition due to a giant loophole and nothing more. Ross Brawn did that and then Andrian Newey took it even further and those two aren't the first time they are producing such a result. I am sure James Key has all the capabilities of doing that considering Mclaren had an impressive innovation this year after so many years.

McG

Darth-Piekus wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 22:48
thestig84 wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:29
Brawn a small team🤣🤣🤣

Technically BAR Honda which became Honda and which became Brawn GP was a smaller team than the likes of Mclaren, Ferrari, Williams and Benneton which later became Renault. They were a 4th to 5th team with an exception of 2004. Honda has abandoned F1 and the new team didn't even do testing only to demolish the competition due to a giant loophole and nothing more. Ross Brawn did that and then Andrian Newey took it even further and those two aren't the first time they are producing such a result. I am sure James Key has all the capabilities of doing that considering Mclaren had an impressive innovation this year after so many years.
It was a lot more than just the double diffuser which I'm assuming you mean by loophole. Honda put in massive effort into other areas of the car. Also Brawn weren't the only ones with the double diffuser and the other teams that had it weren't anywhere near as fast. I'm not a massive fan of Honda but they deserve a lot of credit for the work they put into that car, albeit at the detriment of the 2008 car and possibly the 2007 car depending on when they shifted focus to 2009. Brawn could be classed as a small or smaller team, and also BAR before it, but as Honda... No. And with the Brawn 2009 car having such R&D behind it, it was what it was.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

djos

Don’t forget they also maximised the out wash front wing too.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Disappointing result for Dan just couldn't get it right in the long corners it seems. Well done Lando, extracted the most out of the car. Wonder if they will gave Dan a new PU. Still all to play for. Anything can happen. Hopefully can pass on main straight.

flmkane
flmkane

djos wrote:
21 Nov 2021, 03:31
Don’t forget they also maximised the out wash front wing too.
Let's not forget that Red Bull was also considered a joke before 2009. A small team that was behind in terms of infrastructure until Newey directed some key investments

diffuser

CjC wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:48
diffuser wrote:
20 Nov 2021, 20:42
CjC wrote:

Defo.

The easiest way to describe the rules for 2022 is you can buy anything structural(gearbox,suspension,etc) but have to design all your own aero( brake ducts, wings,floor,sidpods,engine over,etc).
Thanks.
The parts you can buy- will they be 2022 spec?
Not that I’m an expert but I assume you can’t carry over much from this season to next?
Maybe the gearbox but surely the current suspension elements/ systems won’t be compatible with the new 18 inch Pirelli tyres?
For whatever reason I'm drawing a blank. Something is changed in next year's suspension, like no Hydrolics. So 2021 suspension would be illegal in 2022. Agreed, no carry over in the suspension and the 18", wheels are just a small part of it.

The wheel bases will be shorter in 2022, so doudt you could make the old gearbox work. I guess if you could make it work, you could buy the old gearbox.....that being said, the circumference of the new tires are larger that 2021 and will likely require a gear change in the gearbox for 2022.