2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
holeindalip
holeindalip

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 22:16
holeindalip wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 22:09
Sulman wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:57

I think you're being a bit harsh on Russell. He's been team leader at Williams for three years, and he's seen off all-comers. He also had an explosive debut at Mercedes a year ago, so he knows what a Grand Prix weekend looks like from the sharp end. I don't think he'd have any issues with whoever was in the other car; George is a sportsman.
I agree, Russell has a lot more experience than people realize. He’s ran a lot of testing laps in that Mercedes’ and knows a lot of the team. More than likely would have won in his only race last year for mercedes
(to all above) I am not just considering Russell but a team Hamilton has just left. Thats Hamilton, not just any old driver, which would be bad enough to have 2 'new boys' straight after a long term driver and his established 'wingman'.

That is a big hole to fill if everything is on your side (I imagine) and the last thing Russell would need is a team mate squabble while trying to be the new focus. Vettel would be better from a driving point of view, but he could not help getting the team behind him. If they are having a 'settling in year' they just as well get it over with before next year.
I agree, I was just talking about Russell in general not as in replacing Hamilton….

PlatinumZealot

Do you guys the events in Abu Dhabi will have made Lewis a worse driver or a stronger one after this?

Nothing breaks a sportsman as much as the governing body fighting against them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

So Nicky DeVries & George Russel teammates for 2022? Nah Hamilton will be way to curious about the new cars, only see hem go by 24-25 at minimum. He drove brilliant second halve of 2021.

Big Tea

I doubt DeVries would even be considered. Not because he is not quick enough, but they have had Russell 'developing' at Williams 3 years.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Another unexpected option I was thinking about if Lewis resign : Hulkenberg.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ringo

RonMexico wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 21:00
Has anyone come up with a reasonable hypothesis for the large jump in Mercedes performance from around Turkey onwards?
It's not a large jump. I think it's just setup and getting the tyres to work. Also ignoring Lewis and looking at Valteri, the car has not improved much outside of having a better back end because of setup and tyres.
People dont like to look at it.. but it's very much down to Hamilton's abilities in the car. He has been improving in fitness from covid and i think he just started to gel more with the car and simply got it setup right to extract more from it.

Even looking on Brazil. There was nothing to suggest there was this massive engine advantage. It was just down to driving and experience with the circuit.

The mercedes car runs well on a stiffer tyre contrstuction as the platform is more stable. When its on the softer compounds it doesnt deal well whem theyre overheated or even when there isnt enough temperature.
The redbull on the other hand has the best performance, but i suspect it natural degrades more over the race distance of its driver cannot maintain the pace as well as Hamilton in the mercedes. And we have seen this with hamilton vs Button and Rosberg. It's no coincidence that he manages the tyres well and maintains a high pace.
For Sure!!

ringo

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 23:46
I think there are many options: Antonio Giovianazi, Kyvaat, Vandorne, Grosjean, Ricciardo, Vettel, Shumacher, Gasly, Magnussen

edit: I do not think Hamilton will leave. That is what the FIA wants him to do to protect Shumacher's legacy.
Lewis' dad will encourage him to stay and beat the odds.
The best thing he can do is just drive and get that 8th title. That's the best justice he can get.

Leaving will also damage the spirit in the team.
For Sure!!

holeindalip
holeindalip

ringo wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 01:36
Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 23:46
I think there are many options: Antonio Giovianazi, Kyvaat, Vandorne, Grosjean, Ricciardo, Vettel, Shumacher, Gasly, Magnussen

edit: I do not think Hamilton will leave. That is what the FIA wants him to do to protect Shumacher's legacy.
Lewis' dad will encourage him to stay and beat the odds.
The best thing he can do is just drive and get that 8th title. That's the best justice he can get.

Leaving will also damage the spirit in the team.
That’s what I imagine as well, we don’t know what the next gen will bring but I hope This wasn’t Hamilton’s last hope at his 8th as it will be even more devastating. He did everything he needed to do and yet here we are….

e30ernest
e30ernest

I hope he doesn't leave. I think the best way for him to get over what happened is to compete again, and grab an 8th title. If he ends now, I think he'll have regrets down the line because he is at the top of his game, and leaving now will be an emotional decision rather than a logical one.

That said, I do have a feeling Russell will give Lewis a much harder time than Bottas.

ringo

I am not sure if anyone can give Hamilton a hard time in the same car. I think his 15th year operating on the highest level, fighting for championships is unheard of in F-1 and he knows everything about extracting performance. Russel is young and will naturally have more reflexes and stamina, but it's hard to see him drive with and against that everlasting arsenal of experience that Lewis has. Even with 2021, I think Lewis had the redbull car and its #1 driver figured out after a certain point; hence the winning streak. I don't think redbull can beat him again with a slightly faster car.

He must start to decline at some point though, and by the signs of Alonso and Schumacher it could be around that 40 year mark. He just wont be on it for every race.

Russel is a good addition to the team. Bottas was so annoying in his lack of race performance. Russel vs Max or Sainz or Leclerc should be exciting.
For Sure!!

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It is just a rumor. LH will be driving for Mercedes 2022 and lap RB and Max in every race. Wait and watch....

InsaneX_Badger

selvam_e2002 wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 07:23
It is just a rumor. LH will be driving for Mercedes 2022 and lap RB and Max in every race. Wait and watch....
Just elaborate a little on where this whisper has come from though 😂

toraabe
toraabe

e30ernest wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 02:26
I hope he doesn't leave. I think the best way for him to get over what happened is to compete again, and grab an 8th title. If he ends now, I think he'll have regrets down the line because he is at the top of his game, and leaving now will be an emotional decision rather than a logical one.

That said, I do have a feeling Russell will give Lewis a much harder time than Bottas.
If Mercedes is able to put up a car that is as competitive as this year I am sure Russell will be Hamiltons wingman against Verstappen. Then he will call it the day. If Russel is faster than Hamilton then it will be interesting..... I can see two advantages for Mercedes next year. 1. The Power unit
2. The low rake that everyone has do adopt next year. No one has been able to make it work better than Mercedes

Ryar

George couldn't have been joining at a better time than 2022. Completely new cars with new tyres. Both sides of the garage would have steep learning to, not just the drivers. Question is, how good was Valtteri's side of the garage compared to Lewis'. That side would be as demotivated as Valtteri has had been in last few years. It's hard to stay motivated when your driver isn't doing as well as the other side. Has that demotivation played a role in that side to have lost edge in understanding and setting up car? I hope not, but if they are, then George will be starting with a handicap.

When Valtteri came to the team, he inherited the garage crew/engineers from Nico, but since then, that side has had little to celebrate. It's human nature to degrade when motivation levels have been slowing evaporating. It also reflects in the way his pit stops have gone over the past couple of years. Same equipment, different set of people, different results. When Valtteri came he didn't bring any crew from Williams as it didn't make sense to change anything from the championship winning garage. But for George, situation is very different. It may serve well if he can bring some of his best folks from Williams. He can't afford to work with a bunch of people, demotivated and with regressed skill sets. Unless, he can inspire them to shrug off their disappointments of the past years and produce surprising results. Or, Mercedes decides to mix up the two garages and reform both sets, engineers included. Otherwise, it's going to be difficult for George.
Hakuna Matata!