2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Ryar wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 17:29
I remember having seen a tweet from scarbs where he said, they used it for a new nose, but for some reasons it didn't meet their expectations and they never brought it out. So they sort of lost their tokens.
They would only lose them if they declared to the FIA they would be using them on a new nose, and that would only happen after they had finalized the design!
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

Mike Elliott quotes about the tokens!
https://racingnews365.com/mercedes-reve ... ent-tokens
"In the end, we didn't spend our tokens,"
"We had a plan that, potentially, we'd spend them on the nose, and elected not to in the end.

"I think the reality was, obviously, we're in a period of COVID. We were looking at the regulations for next year which are huge. There are massive changes aerodynamically and so, going into this year, it was all about how do we balance the development we do for this year versus the development we do for next year.

"At the time we were making those decisions, we also had quite an advantage. If you go back to 2020, we had a very good car. It was more a case of saying, 'Where are the weaknesses? What are the things that we could go in and develop and move on a bit?'

"They're not big things, they are small things that we're seeing in the aerodynamic concept. There'll be things we've seen in the flow field, we wanted to attack and change. And so, if you look at the two cars, the differences are all in the details."
201 105 104 9 9 7

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 16:31
Hi. I want to ask a question. I have read something that says that before the last season, mercedes tech director had said they used token but don't say where they used it. According to same article replacing TD had said that they didn't used tokens but just made change under the car needed to match with new rules.
So if mercedes didn't used token and just made changes needed by rules, how they kept being so fast but aston marting couldn't while both cars fundamentally same?
2021 cars are not fundamentally the same.
They were birthed with the same concept. But the fundamentals changes are why Mercedes could fix their problem and not aston Martin.

You can see Mercedes did important changes to the front wing, barge boards, turning vanes, and floor fences plus brake ducts to ge their csr to work while Aston was lost at sea.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Ryar

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sula ... s/6886489/
Sulayem: "No forgiveness" if Hamilton breached FIA gala rules

New FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem says Lewis Hamilton can be given "no forgiveness" if he is found to have breached Formula 1's rules in missing the annual prize-giving gala
Hakuna Matata!

Ryar

Someone in Mercedes must have known if it is OK to skip the ceremony and approved it, if the rules allow it. If that is not the case and Lewis acted on his own and if that is a breach, it then would potentially attract some form of reprimand. Hard to think it can be anything more than that.
Hakuna Matata!

Big Tea

Ryar wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 20:26
Someone in Mercedes must have known if it is OK to skip the ceremony and approved it, if the rules allow it. If that is not the case and Lewis acted on his own and if that is a breach, it then would potentially attract some form of reprimand. Hard to think it can be anything more than that.
It could possibly be different for team and driver. The team can nominate a representative, but can the driver?
I doubt Hamilton is concerned anyway with the circles his merch sell in it could even be a boost
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ryar

Big Tea wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 20:33
Ryar wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 20:26
It could possibly be different for team and driver. The team can nominate a representative, but can the driver?
I doubt Hamilton is concerned anyway with the circles his merch sell in it could even be a boost
Fair enough. Think about the fact that, regardless of the Mercedes sentiments, if they (team and Lewis) continue to rub the FIA in wrong ways, they are going to force FIA to develop grudge. It can lead to situations where if Mercedes tries any clever exploitation of rules next year, they will be immediately hit with a sledge hammer forcing them to lose any advantage they may try gaining. It's a risky business to not think about long term impact of strained relationships. Mercedes may think they have been wronged, but FIA doesn't like the disrepute if Mercedes drags this any further in any which way. On their part, they probably are thinking, it's an honest mistake from their official and doesn't want the organization and the sport to be affected by Mercedes or Lewis' actions. There is a case to be managed, not throw emotions and strain it.
Hakuna Matata!

mstar
mstar

You need to notify the FIA of your attendance. So of course they knew lewis wasn't attending. there is organisation of tables, hotels etc
So of course FIA knew well before he wasn't attending. The new FIA president maybe didnt get the memo lol

Mogster

Not a good start. I really can’t see why he’d want to take Mercedes on over this.

Merc announced early that Wolff and Hamilton weren’t attending, I assumed it was by arrangement. With them attending the whole event would have turned into a media scrum, better to let RBR celebrate without Wolff and Hamilton attending.

Jambier

The formula 1 rules are clear that the top 3 finishing drivers must attend.

Not really clever to insult FIA with no cars (Mercedes) and not even coming (Hamilton)

But I don't see what they can do, maybe "force" him to participate to one of the FIA days with road safety or something for the young?

dans79

I can't find any video evidence , but I'm seeing various articles saying Todt saying or hinting Lewis won't face any penalty.
https://en.brinkwire.com/sports/the-fia ... -the-gala/

I saw one article mentioning that Todt rolled his eyes and snapped at someone when asked about penalizing Lewis.
https://www.grandprix.com/news/fia-to-r ... -todt.html
Jean Todt rolled his eyes at those calling for Lewis Hamilton to be fined for snubbing Thursday's official FIA prize-giving gala event in Paris.

"I think we should celebrate rather than getting into any controversy," said the departing FIA president, who admitted he definitely will not miss episodes like the current one surrounding the end to the intense 2021 title battle.
"I think we should let it go. We have to rise above it," Todt insisted.

"Honestly, I'm glad I'm leaving because things like this are a reason not to stay. That's 70 percent of it, the other 30 percent is for the safety which is why drivers like Romain Grosjean are still alive today."
201 105 104 9 9 7

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 18 Dec 2021, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

siskue2005

Jambier wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 22:31

Not really clever to insult FIA with no cars (Mercedes) and not even coming (Hamilton)

But I don't see what they can do, maybe "force" him to participate to one of the FIA days with road safety or something for the young?
I think after how they manipulated the championship and then they insult Lewis with some punishment for not playing ball with their farce show, then Lewis will walk out of f1 and he can do it easily.... he doesn't need to prove anything in f1 and is already there with legends like Schumy and Senna. At this point F1/FIA need Lewis and Merc more than the other way round

Mogster

Todt is at least viewing the issue with some pragmatism, Sulayem’s attitude isn’t realistic. The last thing we need is another Jean Marie Balestre.

ringo

Jambier wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 22:31

Is it anything like the safety car rules?
For Sure!!