Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AeroDynamic

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

😍

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Jambier wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 10:38
SmallSoldier wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 21:29
The car hasn’t even hit the track yet and the rumor mill is that Aston Martin isn’t very happy with the car and working on a very different one for mid season… It is coming from Franco Nugnes (who doesn’t have a reputation as the most reliable source) by Giorgio Piola (who actually does have a good reputation) agrees.

It is not really a surprise if true: They are still building facilities and onboarding people, we need to give them time, 2024/2025 is more of a realistic target

And let's not forget that Ferrari / Alpine / McLaren have worked quite a lot on 2022
I agree that the expectation should be for them to deliver in 24/25… Although, they started sooner than most and the high expectations came from the team itself… Surprised that there are apparent issues with a car that hasn’t even hit the track yet.

siskue2005

AeroDynamic wrote: Image
The front wing so much higher from the ground.
Will that be more inefficent to follow cars

This is all contradictory to the rules we had in the name of close following

The lower front wing, with a neutral section, the lourves on the side pods #-o

Tomek1623

it is the same shade of green as last year, or lighter? In 2021 sometimes it was too dark.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Marty_Y wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:03
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60325767
Some key features immediately stood out, including a front wing featuring a slight arch in the middle to allow more air under the nose and towards the floor. There are also side-pods with an unusual dual opening for cooling air entering the body.
What does he mean by dual openings?
It's Andrew Benson. He has no idea what he's talking about, don't worry (he wrote about Red Bull showing their new car t'other day and made no mention at all that it obviously wasn't the new car). I think he's confused by the shape of the leading edge of the sidepod and the black area next to the sidepod opening.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

The cars look Okay... but just too retro for me though. I was looking at the space ships from 2008 and it just makes these look like Indycar or GP-2. Just me though. Maybe with development they will look more futuristic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

timbo
timbo

Coefficient wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:07
Well, a looker it ain't. That front wing, especially the endplates are just too indycar.
Such are the rules. Indeed the cars will look more Indycar-like. On AMR22 it is further compounded by the shape of the sidepods.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

It's good to see an F1 car running close the ground again - just like they used to before the "arse in the air" look became the way to go.

Admittedly, it's not like the good old days of the flat floor, but it's better than recent years. =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

siskue2005 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:32
The front wing so much higher from the ground.
Will that be more inefficent to follow cars

This is all contradictory to the rules we had in the name of close following

The lower front wing, with a neutral section, the lourves on the side pods #-o
It was always meant to be that way. When you use ground effect tunnel you will get wings higher to let clean air in.

Herr_Koos

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:44
The cars look Okay... but just too retro for me though. I was looking at the space ships from 2008 and it just makes these look like Indycar or GP-2. Just me though. Maybe with development they will look more futuristic.
The spaceships from 2008 were completely over the top imho. Super advanced but definitely not elegant. F1 cars should look good. I kind of like the return to a simpler shape. In the end though, it's the quality of the racing that counts most.

jacobianminkowski
jacobianminkowski

Mostlyeels wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 09:34
Can someone explain to me why these cars will be slower in slow corners?
I think its because the front wing is not in ground effect any more.

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

F1doc
F1doc

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:42
It's Andrew Benson. He has no idea what he's talking about, don't worry.
I'm glad I am not the only one who finds him incompetent. The number of occasions I've heard him talk condescendingly to the rest of the BBC 5 Live team on radio has made me avoid anything with his name on.

Back to the car, it looks interesting and different enough to the FOM show model. The DRS implementation looks an afterthought in the only example we've seen so far. I'm waiting for the first images of the slot wide open to see how it interacts with the rest of the rear wing assembly.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:42
Marty_Y wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 16:03
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60325767
Some key features immediately stood out, including a front wing featuring a slight arch in the middle to allow more air under the nose and towards the floor. There are also side-pods with an unusual dual opening for cooling air entering the body.
What does he mean by dual openings?
It's Andrew Benson. He has no idea what he's talking about, don't worry (he wrote about Red Bull showing their new car t'other day and made no mention at all that it obviously wasn't the new car). I think he's confused by the shape of the leading edge of the sidepod and the black area next to the sidepod opening.
Thanks, I get you, he confused black area which looks like a bare carbon fibre area for a opening which it isn't.

bosyber
bosyber

AeroDynamic wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 15:20

I like the look of the new cars from this angle more
https://i.imgur.com/76kL2qm.png
As someone else pointed out on twitter, that lower picture shows a different front wing, with the main plane connecting to the nose (and thus being even higher in the middle).