Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

siskue2005 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:06
ringo wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 01:52
This car could dow with some flow straighteners on top of the sloping sidepods. But i doubt its permitted.

Looks good so far. The concept should result in more airflow to the diffuser, But it also results in more surface drag and possibly more lift from the body.
And also higher centre of gravity
If a higher centre of gravity gives better aero, it seems that the teams go with it. The aero component is more important than a marginal CoG height change in these cars it seems.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Tzk
Tzk

Hoffman900 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 18:09
Are those demo tires? I thought they had to run treaded tires for filming days?
They run special 'filming day' tires, but those don't have to be threaded.

ajprice
ajprice

I understand how ground effect works between the car and the ground. Can someone explain like I'm 5 how an air channel between the bodywork and the floor works? Wouldn't any effect that has on downforce or airflow or whatever be like trying to lift yourself up by your bootlaces?

the EDGE
the EDGE

ajprice wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 12:58
I understand how ground effect works between the car and the ground. Can someone explain like I'm 5 how an air channel between the bodywork and the floor works? Wouldn't any effect that has on downforce or airflow or whatever be like trying to lift yourself up by your bootlaces?
It’s like when you suck air out of a plastics bottle, both sides want to suck together

The air from the inlet is compressed then expanded in the tunnel which create a low pressure sucking the air in

As their is no bottom on the tunnel, the track acts like the other side of the bottle and the 2 are sucked together

Henri
Henri

Lets hope is faster than the way it looks

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.

Zynerji

pantherxxx wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:55
This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.
I think the one that balances the high speed/low speed downforce generation best will win.

Emag
Emag

pantherxxx wrote:
I seriously doubt the other teams missed such a straightforward implementation of these rules. I am almost certain it has been considered by all of the teams actually, but I guess so far, AM has been the only one brave enough to go for it.

Pandamasque

ajprice wrote:
In simple terms, the way I understand it, the flow above the underfloor tunnel entrance and, especially, exit helps speeding up the flow in the tunnel itself.
Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:59
pantherxxx wrote:
I seriously doubt the other teams missed such a straightforward implementation of these rules. I am almost certain it has been considered by all of the teams actually, but I guess so far, AM has been the only one brave enough to go for it.
I bet all of the concepts work well to an extent. The question is which team got the CFD/tunnel vs real world correlation better. Reaction of the different concepts to bumps and curbs, changing ride height, yaw, crosswinds may render some of these concepts a total failure compared to others. Even if they all have similar peak performance, some may have a far broader "window" as far as setups and conditions are concerned.

Emag
Emag

Pandamasque wrote:
ajprice wrote:
In simple terms, the way I understand it, the flow above the underfloor tunnel entrance and, especially, exit helps speeding up the flow in the tunnel itself.
Emag wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
I bet all of the concepts work well to an extent. The question is which team got the CFD/tunnel vs real world correlation better. Reaction of the different concepts to bumps and curbs, changing ride height, yaw, crosswinds may render some of these concepts a total failure compared to others. Even if they all have similar peak performance, some may have a far broader "window" as far as setups and conditions are concerned.
Thats the thing. You need consistency. If I remember correctly, the 2018 McLaren was not a bad car ... on a straight line. They miscalculated their design, and when the wheels were turning they suffered from flow separation and lost downforce through the corners when it was needed the most.

So you are right. There are many variables to consider. It could go wrong for 1000 different reasons even if the concept itself makes sense.

PlatinumZealot

I see two holes behind the bib looking from the front view. Does anyone else see it?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mclaren111

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 15:33
I see two holes behind the bib looking from the front view. Does anyone else see it?

Picture please... Thx

basti313
basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:11
siskue2005 wrote:
ringo wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 01:52
This car could dow with some flow straighteners on top of the sloping sidepods. But i doubt its permitted.

Looks good so far. The concept should result in more airflow to the diffuser, But it also results in more surface drag and possibly more lift from the body.
If a higher centre of gravity gives better aero, it seems that the teams go with it. The aero component is more important than a marginal CoG height change in these cars it seems.
I guess this is the same discussion as with the harder suspension to help the aero.
In the end a real driver needs to drive the car. I fear that it will be much harder to drive if you trade a higher CoG vs. some aero performance. So this is unfortunately something where they can not even do an analysis on theoretical lap times, but this is a comparison that really will only show on track what is right or not.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 16:23
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:11
siskue2005 wrote:

I guess this is the same discussion as with the harder suspension to help the aero.
In the end a real driver needs to drive the car. I fear that it will be much harder to drive if you trade a higher CoG vs. some aero performance. So this is unfortunately something where they can not even do an analysis on theoretical lap times, but this is a comparison that really will only show on track what is right or not.
Racing drivers are relatively simple creatures to please - you just give them a faster car. They'll live with the compromise if it means they have more chance on track.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Emag wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
We don't know. Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari haven't even released their real cars yet, it's possible that they will have a similar solution.