Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
tpe
tpe

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

I can't believe that the "black" in the side pod is just paint. Maybe I see things that don't exist, but I have the feeling that this is hidden entrance. Maybe not, but we will find out in a few weeks :D

AeroDynamic

Diffuser brightened

Henri
Henri

pantherxxx wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:55
This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.
I have a feeling this car will be top 4.. i think they.ll win avrace this year

Henri
Henri

The car will be sttonger once dan fallows designs some updates.. we know he knows what the redbull looks like anyways 😄

Jambier

This car really is the best looking for now =D>

But I don't think it will be very fast. Ahead of Haas / Williams /Alfa , fighting with the AT ?

Mitch2.0

pantherxxx wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:55
This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.
If it was so obvious and simple every team would have done it.

I don’t think it’s fair to look at a concept before testing, and on the basis that it appears to be so radical compared to the other cars we’ve seen, immediately declare it superior.

If this was the case then the F92A and F310 to name a couple would also look like championship winning cars pre-season, and as we know, they were anything but.

Pandamasque

It's not radically different to Alfa Romeo Sauber and we're yet to see 4 cars. There's still a chance 60% of the grid will look like this.

ringo

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:11
siskue2005 wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 11:06
ringo wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 01:52
This car could dow with some flow straighteners on top of the sloping sidepods. But i doubt its permitted.

Looks good so far. The concept should result in more airflow to the diffuser, But it also results in more surface drag and possibly more lift from the body.
And also higher centre of gravity
If a higher centre of gravity gives better aero, it seems that the teams go with it. The aero component is more important than a marginal CoG height change in these cars it seems.
Low speed performance is a differentiator this year so lets see about that. The cars are weaker in low speed. So if a team manages to be the standout performer there, a lot of time can be gained.
For Sure!!

edgelo
edgelo

I love this car, and seems fast to me.

IMO the concept in the rear it’s similar to Ferrari, but taken further.

Coefficient
Coefficient

They've gone all in with the high front wing, so they expect the midship downforce to be paramount. I suspect this is a mistake because if that idea proves incorrect they have nothing to tune at the front of the car. Understeer in the loaded phase of the corner will be an issue for this car. A good balance of everything is usually best, this car would appear to avoid that convention
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

NAPI10
NAPI10

Coefficient wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 01:00
They've gone all in with the high front wing, so they expect the midship downforce to be paramount. I suspect this is a mistake because if that idea proves incorrect they have nothing to tune at the front of the car. Understeer in the loaded phase of the corner will be an issue for this car. A good balance of everything is usually best, this car would appear to avoid that convention
This car might not be effective on every circuit on the calendar but will be very strong on certain types of circuits(high-speed ones)....just a hunch.

Ashwinv16

Coefficient wrote:
That's the thing, Midship downforce is going to be paramount. The biggest change in driving style and car character for this year will be the steering. In Medium and High speed corners, cars will turn about a centre axis due to the downforce genarated by the tunnel rather than from the front, you know like in go karts but less extreme. They pretty much have to throw the car into the corner with a slight rear powerslide with full confidence and well it will stick and that's how you gonna get the laptime. Aston's Concepts is the way to go in terms of the track for the whole season, at the risk of power drivability and They probably will struggle at Monaco. Ferrari has gone the exact oppopsite and so has the Merc. So far only the Aston is running concept like this, with the Alpa Tauri Close behind but a it of a halfway house.
Halo not as bad as we thought

AeroDynamic

more uncut and candid footage of AMR22 on track at Silverstone. No music.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Coefficient wrote:
Surely if the centre of pressure of their downforce is inline with their centre of mass then there shouldnt be a whole load balancing required. And if their floor is powerful enough, they wont need to run a huge RW and therefore wont need a hugely powerful front wing to balance.

godlameroso

Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:53
Coefficient wrote:
Surely if the centre of pressure of their downforce is inline with their centre of mass then there shouldnt be a whole load balancing required. And if their floor is powerful enough, they wont need to run a huge RW and therefore wont need a hugely powerful front wing to balance.
The COP of the car means the rear wing is necessary to balance the car. In fact, the sooner you can get the rear wing working the better. It's not very draggy compared to previous seasons, and aids extraction from the diffuser. Since the cars run flat, there's no rake helping the rear wing angle under acceleration. Since the diffuser loses some downforce as the car pitches forward under braking, you need the rear wing to help as the rear wing angle increases as the car pitches forward.
Saishū kōnā