Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:01
Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:53
Coefficient wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 01:00
They've gone all in with the high front wing, so they expect the midship downforce to be paramount. I suspect this is a mistake because if that idea proves incorrect they have nothing to tune at the front of the car. Understeer in the loaded phase of the corner will be an issue for this car. A good balance of everything is usually best, this car would appear to avoid that convention
Surely if the centre of pressure of their downforce is inline with their centre of mass then there shouldnt be a whole load balancing required. And if their floor is powerful enough, they wont need to run a huge RW and therefore wont need a hugely powerful front wing to balance.
The COP of the car means the rear wing is necessary to balance the car. In fact, the sooner you can get the rear wing working the better. It's not very draggy compared to previous seasons, and aids extraction from the diffuser. Since the cars run flat, there's no rake helping the rear wing angle under acceleration. Since the diffuser loses some downforce as the car pitches forward under braking, you need the rear wing to help as the rear wing angle increases as the car pitches forward.
You clearly didnt read the post i replied to, nor my post properly.

godlameroso

Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:12
godlameroso wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 19:01
Mchamilton wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 12:53

Surely if the centre of pressure of their downforce is inline with their centre of mass then there shouldnt be a whole load balancing required. And if their floor is powerful enough, they wont need to run a huge RW and therefore wont need a hugely powerful front wing to balance.
The COP of the car means the rear wing is necessary to balance the car. In fact, the sooner you can get the rear wing working the better. It's not very draggy compared to previous seasons, and aids extraction from the diffuser. Since the cars run flat, there's no rake helping the rear wing angle under acceleration. Since the diffuser loses some downforce as the car pitches forward under braking, you need the rear wing to help as the rear wing angle increases as the car pitches forward.
You clearly didnt read the post i replied to, nor my post properly.
I did not :mrgreen: Besides, you can always get the front wing to work better with some front body roll.
Saishū kōnā

Mitch2.0

AeroDynamic wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 09:35
more uncut and candid footage of AMR22 on track at Silverstone. No music.

Nice find.

Seb looked in good spirits at the end, and at least it made it round Abbey without braking. :D

F1Krof

Diffusor guts cannot be brightened (at least not with my skills).

The dimples between the floor and the diffusor look very interesting.

Wroom wroom

RZS10

Pictures posted by the teams are probably vetted to not include details where they shouldn't, that particular image is rather low res as well ...

The dimples (circled, right?) are the cuts in the diffuser featured on a few cars. source image

F1Krof

RZS10 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 19:19
Pictures posted by the teams are probably vetted to not include details where they shouldn't, that particular image is rather low res as well ...

The dimples (circled, right?) are the cuts in the diffuser featured on a few cars. source image
https://i.imgur.com/qsGOlOR.png
Yes. I think AMR has the most most intriguing solutions when it comes to floor. We haven't seen much from Ferrari and all other teams yet. But even comparing to W13, it's more complex and sophisticated from the looks of it.
Wroom wroom

F1doc
F1doc

F1Krof wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:46
Yes. I think AMR has the most most intriguing solutions when it comes to floor. We haven't seen much from Ferrari and all other teams yet. But even comparing to W13, it's more complex and sophisticated from the looks of it.
All the cars are intriguing with the direction of concept taken. What seems to me is that Aston, Alfa Romeo (Sauber) and Ferrari seem to have launched cars which have been developed to a fair degree, possibly close to race spec. McLaren I think had issues with prepping their car as they're late to shakedown and I don't think their car at launch was complete.

Mitch2.0

F1doc wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:54
F1Krof wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 21:46
All the cars are intriguing with the direction of concept taken. What seems to me is that Aston, Alfa Romeo (Sauber) and Ferrari seem to have launched cars which have been developed to a fair degree, possibly close to race spec. McLaren I think had issues with prepping their car as they're late to shakedown and I don't think their car at launch was complete.
Agree with you on the McLaren, it was a very basic spec with little in the way of detail, it also explains the lack of shakedown as you said.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mitch2.0 wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:12
Agree with you on the McLaren, it was a very basic spec with little in the way of detail, it also explains the lack of shakedown as you said.
I'm sure shakedowns in the storm were very useful. McLaren on other hand gets to shakedown in Barcelona sun.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Henri wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 20:00
pantherxxx wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:55
This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.
I have a feeling this car will be top 4.. i think they.ll win avrace this year
Is it possible your positive feelings for the car emanate from its pretty paint job?

Henri
Henri

Ringleheim wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 05:47
Henri wrote:
15 Feb 2022, 20:00
pantherxxx wrote:
14 Feb 2022, 14:55
This can be a championship winning car. The team that uses the venturi effect the most effectively will probably win, and the double floor + gills may be the way to do it.
I have a feeling this car will be top 4.. i think they.ll win avrace this year
Is it possible your positive feelings for the car emanate from its pretty paint job?
Lol yes. But testing will reveal if thats true or not

F1doc
F1doc

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Feb 2022, 23:14
Mitch2.0 wrote:
I'm sure shakedowns in the storm were very useful. McLaren on other hand gets to shakedown in Barcelona sun.
McLaren launched well before the storm. They were the day after Aston. Aston prepped for an early shakedown to sort out any gremlins in time for Barcelona. These shakedown runs aren't for aero and are cheeky ways to check systems when testing is limited.

Hopefully Aston didn't have any gremlins; they didn't report any.

Mitch2.0

FittingMechanics wrote:
Mitch2.0 wrote:
I’m aware you’re being sarcastic, but your logic and therefore your sarcasm are both misplaced.

It IS useful to have a shakedown before packing all the kit and leaving for Barcelona, storm or not.

basti313
basti313

Mitch2.0 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:16
FittingMechanics wrote:
Mitch2.0 wrote:
I’m aware you’re being sarcastic, but your logic and therefore your sarcasm are both misplaced.

It IS useful to have a shakedown before packing all the kit and leaving for Barcelona, storm or not.
Yes and no....
I think the core point of the shakedown is to check electronics and heat management.
For heat management you heat the car in the garage standing as far as it can go, then drive at high fuel burning and see where the rad temps go. I am not sure how you can read anything if you drive in the storm, rain with vents fully open (maybe closed inside?). Merc was running with all vents closed, that made more sense to me....

For electronics you best run the car as you would drive it in the test, so optimal time is 2 days ahead of the test. That was done often in the past. Not sure what they read in this regards now...

So generally I would say, that it is astonishing that they hold the shakedowns in the worst weather. There must be more than the classical reasons.
Don`t russel the hamster!

motobaleno

basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
Mitch2.0 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:16
FittingMechanics wrote:

Yes and no....
I think the core point of the shakedown is to check electronics and heat management.
For heat management you heat the car in the garage standing as far as it can go, then drive at high fuel burning and see where the rad temps go. I am not sure how you can read anything if you drive in the storm, rain with vents fully open (maybe closed inside?). Merc was running with all vents closed, that made more sense to me....

For electronics you best run the car as you would drive it in the test, so optimal time is 2 days ahead of the test. That was done often in the past. Not sure what they read in this regards now...

So generally I would say, that it is astonishing that they hold the shakedowns in the worst weather. There must be more than the classical reasons.
Indeed one of the most common type of problems found (and solved) during shakedown is hydraulic leakages
for what concerns heat management you can only have basic indications.