2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I think the most important fact is that McLaren did their best time on day 1. It means they sandbagged on Day 2 and 3.

Team is optimistic (looking at their media interviews). Hopefully we made another step forward.

frosty125
frosty125

JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 16:43
billamend wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 14:37
Given everything I've seen so far, I'm starting to believe that McLaren is a dark horse for this championship:
  • No signs of porpoising
  • Very basic car in Barcelona, with plenty of upgrades to come (unlike Ferrari). Reports of it being 4 to 5 months old.
  • Good on timing sheets, but very much outside top speeds
  • Close to the weight limit, but reportedly using modular builds for testing. Once they start building integrated pieces, I assume the weight will decrease
  • Teams (e.g. RB) started to lobby for rules changes (suspension and weight)
  • Teams (e.g. RB and Mercedes) started to question McLaren floor for flexing
I understand being excited after the first test but given everything you know about the two teams, do you honestly believe Mercedes has designed a worse car than McLaren?
Roll back to 2009 and people were saying that about McLaren and Ferrari v Red Bull and Brawn. A big regs change is an opportunity to get it right or wrong.

JPower
JPower

frosty125 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 01:08
JPower wrote:
billamend wrote:
01 Mar 2022, 14:37
Given everything I've seen so far, I'm starting to believe that McLaren is a dark horse for this championship:
  • No signs of porpoising
  • Very basic car in Barcelona, with plenty of upgrades to come (unlike Ferrari). Reports of it being 4 to 5 months old.
  • Good on timing sheets, but very much outside top speeds
  • Close to the weight limit, but reportedly using modular builds for testing. Once they start building integrated pieces, I assume the weight will decrease
  • Teams (e.g. RB) started to lobby for rules changes (suspension and weight)
  • Teams (e.g. RB and Mercedes) started to question McLaren floor for flexing
I understand being excited after the first test but given everything you know about the two teams, do you honestly believe Mercedes has designed a worse car than McLaren?
Roll back to 2009 and people were saying that about McLaren and Ferrari v Red Bull and Brawn. A big regs change is an opportunity to get it right or wrong.
That's true however I don't see the probability of a similar occurrence happening under the current regs the way they are written. To me a customer PU team will always be at a disadvantage to the works team, in this case, Mercedes. But, that doesn't mean McLaren can't be successful regardless. We'll see.

shinekraj
shinekraj

Moreover I also strongly believe that Mclarens control over porpoising is due to their involvement in Indycar. Indycars being using Ground effect in their last iterations would have experienced this well before and hence McLaren designed their car to take care of this issue.

Chuckjr

It’s a massive regs change year and absolutely Macca has an outstanding chance to move to the sharp end. No question about it. They are an outstanding firm and know how to get it done. They are proven winners. Few things would be more welcome than a papaya front row in a few weeks. 👍
Watching F1 since 1986.

Mansell89
Mansell89

JPower wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 05:23
frosty125 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 01:08
JPower wrote:

That's true however I don't see the probability of a similar occurrence happening under the current regs the way they are written. To me a customer PU team will always be at a disadvantage to the works team, in this case, Mercedes. But, that doesn't mean McLaren can't be successful regardless. We'll see.
In 2014 customers were at a disadvantage but I’d say that has narrowed now as teams have a far better idea for PU packaging, engine modes have to be shared and customers must use the same fuel. Didn’t rumour have it that Mobil fuel was eradicating performance from McLaren in 2014 and also the story from a Lotus mechanic about hidden engine modes?

Of course being a works team is preferable but new regulation, convergence in engine performance and rules, and of course budgetary changes does give customers more of a chance I believe in this new formula.

Whilst there is a little bit of optimism from the first test, the fact that practically b spec cars will be what we see in Bahrain means we can’t judge any performance yet, more just a baseline and any fundamentals.

Development race will be fast and furious in season I suspect.

_cerber1

JPower wrote:
McLaren were able to beat Renault in 2019 and 2020 by being their customers. With the same budget and resources, the advantage of the factory team is not as great as it seems.

the EDGE
the EDGE

_cerber1 wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 09:38
JPower wrote:
McLaren were able to beat Renault in 2019 and 2020 by being their customers. With the same budget and resources, the advantage of the factory team is not as great as it seems.
Not forgetting of course the years RB were a customer of Renault either

mclaren111

Key, Stella & Peter Prod are working together very well & great leadership by Seidl...

We have every reason to be optimistic in joining the fight in the front after Barcelona... Not over optimistic...

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

As long as the gap closes to a manageable amount then it’s game on. You don’t necessarily need the outright fastest car to compete for wins. But you cannot be 0.5s/lap slower in race trim.

Let’s be optimistic with a realistic lens over it. Ageing facilities will not help to really compete but we can definitely close the gap and cause upsets depending on circuit, I firmly believe that

Macklaren
Macklaren

Filming day tomorrow? Could see some spicy updates! Probably a check for whether new parts induce porpoising or not...

**Nevermind got the dates wrong. It's next week**

Ryar

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 10:47
As long as the gap closes to a manageable amount then it’s game on. You don’t necessarily need the outright fastest car to compete for wins. But you cannot be 0.5s/lap slower in race trim.

Let’s be optimistic with a realistic lens over it. Ageing facilities will not help to really compete but we can definitely close the gap and cause upsets depending on circuit, I firmly believe that
McLaren could have won 2 GPs last year, purely on Merit, but ended up with just one. That points to vast improvement, within the facilities they have currently. No doubt the new facilities would help.

But I think the fundamental problem was with the complete mismanagement until 2016-17 that they produced absolutely absurd cars. Until the rude awakening came in 2018 with Renault PUs, which also brought Red Bull as the bench mark, they kept misguding themselves to believe, Honda was the reason for their problems. Understanding that the problem was within the team and restructuring of the Working group started yielding performance. They were quite far behind with those mistakes, but have made quick recovery. They need a few good wins to get a morale boost and hopefully next year, if not this, they are title contenders. It would be great to see them join the title challenge this year, but realistically, they probably might need some more time. They are going to fight as a customer team with the factory teams, which is always a handicap.
Hakuna Matata!

JPower
JPower

_cerber1 wrote:
JPower wrote:
We’re not talking about an fairly inept Renault team(at least in hybrid era) though. The manufacturer in this case is the most dominant in F1 history with far greater resources than McLaren(at the moment).

Like I said, we’ll see…

adrianjordan

JPower wrote:
02 Mar 2022, 14:29
_cerber1 wrote:
JPower wrote:
We’re not talking about an fairly inept Renault team(at least in hybrid era) though. The manufacturer in this case is the most dominant in F1 history with far greater resources than McLaren(at the moment).

Like I said, we’ll see…
Except the resource restrictions mean that McLaren actually has more use of their resources than Mercedes does of theirs. More windtunnel time and more CFD and capped budgets. Plus McLaren will benefit from any advances on the PU side that Merc make. I think it's a lot closer than you think in this regard.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

CrazyCarperF1
CrazyCarperF1

I like what the redbull has done with the coloured wheel rim edge, it would be good if mclaren would do the same, perhaps a different colour for each driver. It would make driver identification much easier.