Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: Mercedes W13

ringo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:13
I think an improvement is square the shoulders of the sidepods. At the level of the green and white petronas logo. Its maybe too rounded. Square that midrift shoulder to reduce the randomness of the flow going towards the back of the car.

The ferrari sidepods are like big blunt wings, but it aslo prioritizes flow to the beam wing by sheilding the flow there from the deadzone trailing the front wheels.

Mercedes does not have that sheilding effect, neither does redbull, but redbull creates a nice tight vortex going to the beam wing off their new twisted lump sidepods. The beam wing load on ferrari and redbull should be giving them better rear end and floor suction.
Merceds feeds its beameing flow from the top of the floor. It's higher energy and more load than the other designs but its more exposed and maybe more random. Theyre depending heavily on the straighteners under the mirror.

What they can do is some sidepode shaping with more squared off shape and it can help.
And if possible put the redbull twisted lumps in the mini side pods they got.

But yeah i like that the car has a lot of potential and that it seems to be creating the most load. It just needs some tuning out and maybe some more advanced suspension.
It may take them some races but lets hope Ferrari and Redbull take points off each other while Merc get this car sorted out.
Where can i buy a pair of these cfd eyes?

De Jokke

Tvetovnato wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:35
What better? Did you see George's head bouncing like a mad man?
Also, they better take their time to sort it out properly instead of flushing money away on small improvements in this cost cap area. BTW it's a long season.
Last edited by De Jokke on 12 Mar 2022, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

chrisc90

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:37
A bit of hope: while merc sorts out the car, we do have the BEST line-up on the grid. Ferrari in second.
Hopefully RBR and FER take points of each other and Perez continuous to struggle in the 'for verstappen developed' car.
Our two drivers are very good at maximizing points and opportunities so let's see.
Russel is good at maximising points? He's been lucky to get into the points in his whole F1 career.

ringo

:lol:
I can 3d print a pair of cfd eyes for anyone who wants a set. lol

But nah i used to run some home made cfd back in the day so got a little gist of how how the air moves from observation. I'm not really making stuff up. Just trying to predict how the air will behave based on what ive seen before.
For Sure!!

De Jokke

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:39
De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:37
A bit of hope: while merc sorts out the car, we do have the BEST line-up on the grid. Ferrari in second.
Hopefully RBR and FER take points of each other and Perez continuous to struggle in the 'for verstappen developed' car.
Our two drivers are very good at maximizing points and opportunities so let's see.
Russel is good at maximising points? He's been lucky to get into the points in his whole F1 career.
He got unlucky a few times to not get points earlier. You'll see this year.

SiLo

ringo wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:36
I said this in the ferrari thread but this w13 is running heavy fuel most of the time.
The porpoising occurs more with a heavier car as it has more inertai and responds poorer to damping.
It may well tie back into as another poster said the pushiness in the corners.
This car has a lower cog than the others as well as possibly a smaller radius of gyration. Its not top heavy by any means, much of the body work up top is for cooling space and lighter equipment.
They may be running very very heavy fuel load with ballast. lol
I would say that it occurs more with lower fuel, as the car can actually react quickly up and down vs heavy fuel, where it will almost act like a mass damper.
Felipe Baby!

De Jokke

Russel sums it up: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... condition/

If I remember correctly, they lost 2-3 tenths in the last sector alone due to the bouncing. :?

proteus

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:47

If I remember correctly, they lost 2-3 tenths in the last sector alone due to the bouncing. :?
We might get very surprised at race 1.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

De Jokke

proteus wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:49
De Jokke wrote:

You still think they are sandbagging?
Come on, the car's behaviour is obvious. It's a handfull atm.
I hope they could turn it around for race 1 but then it would have to be a wonderfloor!

ps: I'm still worried about a le mans scenario, it's clearly the worst car on purpoising.

dans79

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:52
proteus wrote:
De Jokke wrote:

I hope they could turn it around for race 1 but then it would have to be a wonderfloor!

ps: I'm still worried about a le mans scenario, it's clearly the worst car on purpoising.
why are you being so overly pessimistic about everything?
201 105 104 9 9 7

JesperA
JesperA

Maybe i am blind or stupid (probably both) i've gone through all pages containing the W13(B?) & so far i've seen no top down picture of the car? Usually we get some pictures taken from above pit gantry. Maybe i just missed it

De Jokke

dans79 wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 18:59
De Jokke wrote:
proteus wrote:

why are you being so overly pessimistic about everything?
So George/Lewis are pessimistic too then?
ps: I mentioned somewhere that I'm confident they can fix it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

De Jokke wrote:

Do you mean taking off in to the air?

Not going to happen as that was a peculiarity of the Merc's aero.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

dans79

De Jokke wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 19:12
So George/Lewis are pessimistic too then?
It's the same line every driver up and down the grid reiterates unless they know they are well clear of everyone else.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Henri
Henri

De Jokke wrote:

Interesting russell says red bull and ferrari where not exceptional.. but i trust Mercedes will find the right setup for the car or bring back the Barcelona spec.. if merc are 2tenths behide in qualy they.ll win the race like last year