2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mercedes runnigh slightly higher ride height now - at least the front of the car - with 20minutes to go. Still propoising.

Redbull running lower and zero propoising!
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

InsaneX_Badger

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 17:43
Mercedes runnigh slightly higher ride height now - at least the front of the car - with 20minutes to go. Still propoising.

And still got flow viz also. Shows that they are still trying to find solutions.

chrisc90

12 Mar 2022, 17:43

Yup, RB floor catching the floor and no porpoising. Its looking a very good car at the minute. Merc seems to be massively struggling

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

12 Mar 2022, 17:32
AR3-GP wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 15:19
12 Mar 2022, 14:42
Ferrari is visibly at a higher ride height so I'm not too worried about them.
This is counterintuitive.
It's a long season.. I rather have the problem of taming the bronco than riding a slower horse.
I'm still confused. If Ferrari are at higher ride height, then they can lower their car for performance. If they start porpoising at lower rideheight, then they can "tame their bronco" too. I still don't get what you are trying to say.

PlatinumZealot

I'm looking deeper.
I am putting forward that Ferrari's strategy is a compromise. They aren't fighting for the win, they just want to to finish the race and if all is good they pick up a podium.

Possibly if they go lower ride height they will end up in trouble and they aren't taking that risk.

I'm not worried about Ferrari.

Mercedes on the other hand wants to push. They need that extra. They have the pace to contend with RedBull and will take the risk of porpoising.

That is my impression.

Racing Green in 2028

nimoraca
nimoraca

12 Mar 2022, 18:11
I'm looking deeper.
I am putting forward that Ferrari's strategy is a compromise. They aren't fighting for the win, they just want to to finish the race and if all is good they pick up a podium.

Possibly if they go lower ride height they will end up in trouble and they aren't taking that risk.

Mercedes on the other hand wants to push. They need that extra. They have the pace to contend.

That is my impression.
I'm not sure that the car components can sustain that kind of bouncing up and down for the duration of the race. Single qualy lap probably. So I do not expect anybody to show up with a bouncy car. The only question is how much performance each of them leaves on the table.

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

I dont want to be critic to the team but I cant explain how was this posible? I understand if Ferrari is faster they were working for longer on this car... but Red Bull???? I know that there is performance under the skin of the car but without the Silverstone upgrade (which was not bery large but was effective) Red Bull had much more updates for the 2021 car than Mercedes. Mercedes just nailed the set up and optimised what they had we could no se no aerodynamic bits on the car for months while Red Bull at some points seemed almost desperate with updatiding the car. And much longer into the season. I tought that all this time was smartly used by Mercedes on the 2022 car. And after two test session the car is bouncing like mad on the straight and is understering or overstering like hell in the corners (for the standards of a top team). I know that they like to play the underdog but the handling of the car was terrible. It should not happen in comparasion with a rival team that went all in for 2021. And funny... that team has a more stable car. Im so upseat for Lewis chances.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

nimoraca wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 18:15
12 Mar 2022, 18:11
I'm looking deeper.

Mercedes on the other hand wants to push. They need that extra. They have the pace to contend.

That is my impression.
I'm not sure that the car components can sustain that kind of bouncing up and down for the duration of the race. Single qualy lap probably. So I do not expect anybody to show up with a bouncy car. The only question is how much performance each of them leaves on the table.
I don't think a driver could take the punishment for a whole race, Mercedes have some solutions to find because at times the W13 looks almost undrivable.

I think Lewis was being honest, they've got a lot of work to do before they can think about winning anything, imo a podium looks far fetched at this point.

Once the bouncing issue is resolved the car will be highly competitive.
Last edited by Marty_Y on 13 Mar 2022, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.

De Jokke

Re: Mercedes W13

A bit of hope: while merc sorts out the car, we do have the BEST line-up on the grid. Ferrari in second.
Hopefully RBR and FER take points of each other and Perez continuous to struggle in the 'for verstappen developed' car.
Our two drivers are very good at maximizing points and opportunities so let's see.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

holeindalip
holeindalip

So if Mercedes’ have x amount of downforce and fix the porpoising can we assume that once teams that have fixed it reach x amount of downforce that they will experience porpoising again?

dans79

holeindalip wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 18:46
So if Mercedes’ have x amount of downforce and fix the porpoising can we assume that once teams that have fixed it reach x amount of downforce that they will experience porpoising again?
No, because downforce by itself doesn't cause. Generally speaking Its a combination of downforce, and suspension settings.
201 105 104 9 9 7

PlatinumZealot

holeindalip wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 18:46
Yes. We saw that today. Very set up related.

Racing Green in 2028

Henri
Henri

James alison needs to come back and steward the ship.. elliot i.m not confident in.. but i trust Mercedes and lewis to snatch the win like last year 😁

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SouRaS wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 20:02
Henri wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 19:41
Bring back the Barcelona spec for bahrain not this joke we have here.. james Alison must come back to fix things elliot aint it
Wait a minute, where James allison went? He doesn't work for w13?
Allison is still at Mercedes, but it's more of a "Staff emeritus" role...

Henri
Henri

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 20:26
SouRaS wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 20:02
Henri wrote: ↑
12 Mar 2022, 19:41
Bring back the Barcelona spec for bahrain not this joke we have here.. james Alison must come back to fix things elliot aint it
Wait a minute, where James allison went? He doesn't work for w13?
Allison is still at Mercedes, but it's more of a "Staff emeritus" role...
His designing boats