Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Binotto is just managing expectation. It looks better to "not be in a position to win, and then win", than to claim you will win races, and not win them.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:44
Binotto is just managing expectation. It looks better to "not be in a position to win, and then win", than to claim you will win races, and not win them.
He most certainly is, he knows well where Ferrari is but still doesn't know too well where the rest are. I don't see why he would say something that isn't true in this situation. If he had the certainty of a win he would say so, but that's not quite where it's at right now.

wowgr8
wowgr8

ferrarifire wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 18:58
Ferrari is on par with Redbull or a little less and does not have any advantage in hand. The next major update is planned for US Grand Prix ( but Ferrari is trying hard to bring it to their home race) which will provide significant lap time advantage over RB . Till then RB may have a slight edge over Ferrari.
Do you know anything about the engine pecking order?

warpomex
warpomex

shamyakovic wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:18
ferrarifire wrote:
Ferrari is on par with Redbull or a little less and does not have any advantage in hand. The next major update is planned for US Grand Prix ( but Ferrari is trying hard to bring it to their home race) which will provide significant lap time advantage over RB . Till then RB may have a slight edge over Ferrari.
I think ferrari have not showed their hands...according the news they ran their engine with very low power modes. I am guessing ferrari to be the faster out of the top 3
I've read this too... just wondering if the issues with the floor go hand in hand with that. If you get porposing at lower engine modes, in higher engine modes (faster?) should make the problem even worst. Is that a correct assumption?

dialtone
dialtone

warpomex wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 06:46
shamyakovic wrote:
ferrarifire wrote:
I think ferrari have not showed their hands...according the news they ran their engine with very low power modes. I am guessing ferrari to be the faster out of the top 3
I've read this too... just wondering if the issues with the floor go hand in hand with that. If you get porposing at lower engine modes, in higher engine modes (faster?) should make the problem even worst. Is that a correct assumption?
The faster you go the more downforce will be generated and the more the car is pushed down to reduce the section of the venturi tunnels, and that causes porpoising. However the connection that the engine is turned down because of that seems a step too far.

JonoNic

dialtone wrote:
warpomex wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 06:46
shamyakovic wrote:
The faster you go the more downforce will be generated and the more the car is pushed down to reduce the section of the venturi tunnels, and that causes porpoising. However the connection that the engine is turned down because of that seems a step too far.
So in theory, could a team reduce porpoising by designing the venturi tunnels that it can eliminate or reduce choking the lower the car the drops on a straight? E.g. If the rear of the car drops first, the 'neck' (the smallest space in the tunnel) become 'larger' due to the way the profile is designed? In other words must the profile in front of tunnel mirror the rear part of the tunnel?

I'm not an engineer, so I hope I'm making sense.

Sent from my SM-G9910 using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Let's keep this on the car please..not the team, or the porpoising generally, or Binotto etc..

The Car, if you please :mrgreen:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Andi76
Andi76

dialtone wrote:
14 Mar 2022, 21:41
If Binotto says they won’t win races yet I believe him. I think Ferrari is certainly in the top 3 and could be very close to Merc and RBR. Nobody ran their engine full beans and certainly Ferrari could have held more back, or it could be just a bit weaker.

They will win races this year but have to fully solve porpoising first and it seems only RB was able to. That RB18 seemed on a carpet at the end of the main straight in Bahrain in the last 30 minutes, so they found the right aerodynamic and mechanic compromise.

I think it will be a good year.
You are aware of the fact that Ferrari was one of only two teams that solved porpoising extremely fast? And that they solved it much faster than Red Bull? The only team that had almost no problem at all with porpoising was McLaren, and Ferrari was the time to solve it very fast... Binotto knows exactly how good the F1-75 is. Saying they won't win yet is just politics. The F1-75 was the only car with an extremely stiff-suspension set-up. From the very first second in Barcelona. All teams followed, because the new aero needs that. This pretty much proves that Ferrari is ahead of all the others in terms of knowledge.
Last edited by Andi76 on 15 Mar 2022, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.

JPower
JPower

I've heard from a few pundits that have said that the F1-75 won't have the development potential of the W13 or RB18 and I'm still wondering where this is coming from.

Is it because Binotto has decided not to bring any immediate upgrades like Mercedes and Red Bull? Seems like faulty reasoning to me.

Andi76
Andi76

JPower wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:52
I've heard from a few pundits that have said that the F1-75 won't have the development potential of the W13 or RB18 and I'm still wondering where this is coming from.

Is it because Binotto has decided not to bring any immediate upgrades like Mercedes and Red Bull? Seems like faulty reasoning to me.
A new concept should have less developement potential than the the concept of micro-sidepods, a concept developed for many years? Makes sense doesn't it ? :lol:

No sorry, i do not think so. Even if Mercedes went extreme and Red Bull has extreme solutions, errari has a completely new concept. And usually a new concept has much more developement potential. Also the Ferrari concept makes much more sense to me. The small roll hoop, which allows much more air to flow to the rear and beamwing, which then "drive" the floor. Much more effective than Mercedes way of driving more air over the diffusor. And with their update and their broad shoulders, even less air will arrive at the rearwing now... but probably thats it - Mercedes has more developement potential, because their concept is inferior to Ferraris... :lol:

hollus

Thunder wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 12:35
https://i.imgur.com/jH6hF66.png

This is the official Ferrari F1-75 car thread. The thread has been created to facilitate discussion specifically about the F1-75 car.

Please, ONLY discuss technical items of this car. Refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery discussion also belongs in the 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

dialtone
dialtone

Andi76 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:42
dialtone wrote:
If Binotto says they won’t win races yet I believe him. I think Ferrari is certainly in the top 3 and could be very close to Merc and RBR. Nobody ran their engine full beans and certainly Ferrari could have held more back, or it could be just a bit weaker.

They will win races this year but have to fully solve porpoising first and it seems only RB was able to. That RB18 seemed on a carpet at the end of the main straight in Bahrain in the last 30 minutes, so they found the right aerodynamic and mechanic compromise.

You are aware of the fact that Ferrari was one of only two teams that solved porpoising extremely fast? And that they solved it much faster than Red Bull? The only team that had almost no problem at all with porpoising was McLaren, and Ferrari was the time to solve it very fast... Binotto knows exactly how good the F1-75 is. Saying they won't win yet is just politics. The F1-75 was the only car with an extremely stiff-suspension set-up. From the very first second in Barcelona. All teams followed, because the new aero needs that. This pretty much proves that Ferrari is ahead of all the others in terms of knowledge.
Yeah I'm aware that's what has been said and highlighted by the press. I'm also aware that the ideal goal is to change how the floor behaves at a certain speeds to avoid having to carve holes in the sides to let air come through. I'm not trying to diss Ferrari, I've been a fan of their for 30 years, I would want nothing more than a Schumacher-style domination. I base my opinion on what Binotto said and on how stable RB18 was during that one bit of video during the last 30 minutes of the test. There's a lot of ifs for me still, if the engine is really good like it seems, if their porpoising control so far doesn't take too much out of the downforce of the car (until new floor arrives later in the season like Binotto said), if their tire management is great. I'm optimistic they are up there and likely to fight for wins, but no guarantee and I wouldn't be surprised if Merc and RB were slightly ahead or close come this weekend.

Vanja #66

Andi76 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 21:06
A new concept should have less developement potential than the the concept of micro-sidepods, a concept developed for many years? Makes sense doesn't it ? :lol:

No sorry, i do not think so. Even if Mercedes went extreme and Red Bull has extreme solutions, errari has a completely new concept. And usually a new concept has much more developement potential. Also the Ferrari concept makes much more sense to me. The small roll hoop, which allows much more air to flow to the rear and beamwing, which then "drive" the floor. Much more effective than Mercedes way of driving more air over the diffusor. And with their update and their broad shoulders, even less air will arrive at the rearwing now... but probably thats it - Mercedes has more developement potential, because their concept is inferior to Ferraris... :lol:
Completely agree. New concepts always have large development potential. This is always one of the factors in development decisions, no team is naive enough to forget examining and establishing a development potential of a new concept before decising on it.

Seeing how similar to RB18 concept it is, it's hard to imagine there is little development potential. And seeing how much room under the sidepod bodywork they have to shrink (or expand) the sidepods, it is really, really hard to conclude there is low development potential...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

S E C T I O

Andi76 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 20:42
dialtone wrote:

If I have not misunderstood the interventions of the most experienced, this would not be a good sign. It would be a stratagem that does not solve the cause but that cures the symptoms, however the problem would not be solved. I hope this is not the case.I would finally wish for a year of rampant and flamboyant neighing, eating as much fodder as possible, leaving crumbs to the others, which I hope is Mc Laren and not Merc. or R.B ..
-§- Each section is wholeness. Oo==§==oO My english suck,sorry-§-

ringo

So if the car is very stiff. What does that say on its tyre wear?
Did testing give any indication or are the 18 inch tyres very robust and will last 2 weekends? lol

Im cautioisly optimistic about it's lap time.
The power of the engine is uknown but I cannot help but seeing it as having a low top speed.
It just looks draggy.
For Sure!!