2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 15:49
mwillems wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 11:59
It might not even be the Mclaren, I have baby brain from not sleeping 😂
Congratulations? 😉
Yep it's an actual girl lol Not just simulated baby brain!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 12:03
mwillems wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 11:53
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 03:51

That would be my guess (mic placement)… I hope they change it, pretty annoying actually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Am I misremembering? Did we have skid plates on the floor that other cars didn't that might cause this? I have some dim recollection of unusual skid plates on the floor from somewhere!
It must be intentional, because I doubt they would leave it bottoming out like that if it wasn't.
There was some chatter about its ability to act as an addition physical sealant of the floor.

Feels like those skids are probably set to a height that prevents the venturi effect from failing and hence why the porpoising is better.

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

organic wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 01:54
Balalu wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 01:48
Did McLaren run the car lower than others? I'm surprised no one seems to mention the scrubbing sound it was doing on the straights (onboard footage). Did not notice it on the other cars.
Isn't the different sound more likely due to different mic placement? Believe the exhaust mics were placed by the teams for testing (?)
"Right from the start, unlike most other cars, McLaren’s MCL36 wasn’t sealing its floor by running it almost on the ground. They have set its skid blocks at a height above the porpoising threshold.

In footage from Lando Norris’ cockpit from testing, the skid blocks’ light skittering over the Bahrain track surface at high speed could be heard quite distinctly, but there was virtually no porpoising." - Mark Hughes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Mmhkt.html
Last edited by Balalu on 15 Mar 2022, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 21:31
SmallSoldier wrote:
mwillems wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 11:59
It might not even be the Mclaren, I have baby brain from not sleeping 😂
Congratulations? 😉
Double congratulations then!!! I would like to tell you that it will be short lived… But mine is going to turn 10 in a couple of days and I still have baby brain! 😁

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Balalu wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:26
organic wrote:
Balalu wrote:
Did McLaren run the car lower than others? I'm surprised no one seems to mention the scrubbing sound it was doing on the straights (onboard footage). Did not notice it on the other cars.
Isn't the different sound more likely due to different mic placement? Believe the exhaust mics were placed by the teams for testing (?)
"Right from the start, unlike most other cars, McLaren’s MCL36 wasn’t sealing its floor by running it almost on the ground. They have set its skid blocks at a height above the porpoising threshold.

In footage from Lando Norris’ cockpit from testing, the skid blocks’ light skittering over the Bahrain track surface at high speed could be heard quite distinctly, but there was virtually no porpoising." - Mark Hughes

Where are those skid blocks located? In the plank close to the T-Tray? Or is the assumption that they are placing skid blocks on the floor itself? I thought those weren’t allowed in the regulations.

mwillems

Balalu wrote:
organic wrote:
Balalu wrote:

Definately a sore ass though.

Well that's as I suspected, if it turns out to be our solution of porpoising I'm not sure if that article says anything but the radical suggestions were that the skid blocks helped seal the floor too, which would eliminate the loss of downforce from not being as close to the ground.

Consistency will be as important as speed in these early stages. I feel like there will be many spins, offs and floor damage under race conditions. You don't need the fastest car to do well. To finish first you first have to finish....

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:27
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Congratulations? 😉
Double congratulations then!!! I would like to tell you that it will be short lived… But mine is going to turn 10 in a couple of days and I still have baby brain! 😁
This is number 2, number one is 6 years old who would not sleep in a cot. Number 2 thank the gods sleeps quite well.

Number one already supports Mclaren ;)

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:37
Balalu wrote:
organic wrote:

Where are those skid blocks located? In the plank close to the T-Tray? Or is the assumption that they are placing skid blocks on the floor itself? I thought those weren’t allowed in the regulations.
AFAIK they are still there, placed along the centre line.

Isn't safety the whole point of skid blocks? Why would they disallow them?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Balalu wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 23:09
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:37
Balalu wrote:

AFAIK they are still there, placed along the centre line.

Isn't safety the whole point of skid blocks? Why would they disallow them?
The skid blocks on the plank are there to ensure that the minimum thickness of the plank is met after a race (since it’s made out of wood)… The reason why they are banned on the floor “edge” is to avoid teams using actual skirts (like in the Lotus)

mwillems

Titanium I think, hence the sparks

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:44
Yep!

mclaren111

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:27
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Congratulations? 😉

Congratulations... =D>

My little girl is 26 and still baby brain... :D

Seerix
Seerix

Ric to attend the Grand Prix

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 03:54
mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:44
Yep!
Just reading about it, it is "Jabroc" that sits underneath the titanium plates and is used to measure and ensure the cars are not getting too close to the ground. A type of veneered high density wood.
Last edited by mwillems on 16 Mar 2022, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

djos

Seerix wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 12:02
Ric to attend the Grand Prix
Great news!
"In downforce we trust"