Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: Ferrari F1-75

ringo wrote:So if the car is very stiff. What does that say on its tyre wear?
Did testing give any indication or are the 18 inch tyres very robust and will last 2 weekends? lol

Im cautioisly optimistic about it's lap time.
The power of the engine is uknown but I cannot help but seeing it as having a low top speed.
It just looks draggy.
On the other hand if they had put in a fast laptime like Alfa or Haas did, you would be saying they are running low on fuel, and engine cranked up like they did in previous years of testing, and it won’t be there come race time.

EDIT:
I think I should also say that I've already posted the telemetry of the Alfa and Ferrari compared with Bottas' lap and it was clear that RPM was higher for Alfa showing that Ferrari had a lower engine mode. It's also a fact that the fast lap from Ferrari had overall lower top speeds that what Ferrari itself achieved on the first day of Bahrain testing by a big margin. So overall your draggy and top speed comment is questioned not only by Vanja's CFD example, but also by actual data. You can still say it's draggy but there's no evidence to support it besides your statement.

Andi76
Andi76

ringo wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 23:19
So if the car is very stiff. What does that say on its tyre wear?
Did testing give any indication or are the 18 inch tyres very robust and will last 2 weekends? lol

The power of the engine is uknown but I cannot help but seeing it as having a low top speed.
It just looks draggy.
The suspension of every car is very stiff. They all followed Ferrari here. But you obviously did not notice... Ferrari had no problems at all with tyre wear. And as we learned in the 90's and 00's a stiff suspension does not mean high tyre wear...especially not if a car is well balanced.

And i thought all of us learned by now that the Ferrari concept is a low drag concept...maybe you should study the CFD Simulations here, or rewatch the technical analysis on F1 TV, youtube etc...it was widely reported by now and explained why it is less "draggy" than "micro-sidepods". This would also help in understanding where drag actually comes from...
Last edited by Andi76 on 16 Mar 2022, 00:45, edited 3 times in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 22:55
Andi76 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 21:06
A new concept should have less developement potential than the the concept of micro-sidepods, a concept developed for many years? Makes sense doesn't it ? :lol:

No sorry, i do not think so. Even if Mercedes went extreme and Red Bull has extreme solutions, errari has a completely new concept. And usually a new concept has much more developement potential. Also the Ferrari concept makes much more sense to me. The small roll hoop, which allows much more air to flow to the rear and beamwing, which then "drive" the floor. Much more effective than Mercedes way of driving more air over the diffusor. And with their update and their broad shoulders, even less air will arrive at the rearwing now... but probably thats it - Mercedes has more developement potential, because their concept is inferior to Ferraris... :lol:
Completely agree. New concepts always have large development potential. This is always one of the factors in development decisions, no team is naive enough to forget examining and establishing a development potential of a new concept before decising on it.

Seeing how similar to RB18 concept it is, it's hard to imagine there is little development potential. And seeing how much room under the sidepod bodywork they have to shrink (or expand) the sidepods, it is really, really hard to conclude there is low development potential...
One of the things that occured to me is that i believe they could redesign it to slope like the RB without much hassle, not internals will need to move or anything, to get the same undercut style might be more difficult however.
And of course there's all manner of middle ground between styles to tinker (certainly more practical than spending a ton of money to make things 5% tighter in my opinion).

The latest model RB pushes the air to the side rather than keep it in the middle which might be an avenue worth investigating.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:26
ringo wrote:

It just looks draggy.
The suspension of every car is very stiff. They all followed Ferrari here. But you obviously did not notice... Ferrari had no problems at all with tyre wear. And as we learned in the 90's and 00's a stiff suspension does not mean high tyre wear...especially not if a car is well balanced.

And i thought all of us learned by now that the Ferrari concept is a low drag concept...maybe you should study the CFD Simulations here, or rewatch the technical analysis on F1 TV, youtube etc...it was widely reported by now and explained why it is less "draggy" than "micro-sidepods". This would also help in understanding where drag actually comes from...
Some cars are stiffer than others. That's why some cars can ride the kerbs while others cannot.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

More team thread appropriate, but while we’re here - fighting words from Binotto today! Love to see it, I just hope it materialises on Saturday/Sunday.

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
Andi76 wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 00:26
ringo wrote:

It just looks draggy.

I hope you all are this confident after three races. :mrgreen:
Last reply to you because you’re trolling: everyone is confident Ferrari has a good car, nobody said they’ll lap everyone before half race, nor even that they will 100% win.

Stay calm and keep believing in whatever parallel reality you live in.

Henri
Henri

https://www.formu1a.uno/binotto-ferrari ... u-potente/
Binotto bragging they have the most powerful again... this will be good fir competition if it 2019 levels of power 😁

Vanja #66

Fairly moderate comments from Binotto. Ferrari as a team always aims for 1-2, for him to say he'd take P2 as a result now would be an insult to fans. As for the other about engine power, he was also moderate and added - this is as far as we know, but you never know until the race. His view about the car and their work is the same as right after the Bahrain test.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Henri
Henri

GrrG

New spec

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vortex generators to prevent separation?

mzso
mzso

Where did this even appear?

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

mzso wrote:
I believe is the new floor introduced in Bahrein
Also the beam wing seems slightly different

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

dialtone
dialtone

miguelalvesreis wrote:
17 Mar 2022, 01:22
mzso wrote:
I believe is the new floor introduced in Bahrein
Also the beam wing seems slightly different

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk
That interview with Binotto seemed to hint at Ferrari having already figured there was porpoising. And given they played around with 5 different versions of the floor, and had a new one already in the first Barcelona test, one has to assume that at minimum they had already played around with the concepts and probably did some quick'n'dirty modifications to the edges. Still, so far Ferrari has been absolutely impressive with these quick developments. It does feel like whatever re-organization they did with Binotto, it was to optimize for speed of iteration at all costs.

Manfer
Manfer

Any idea why they ran with those holes next to the bermbo logo?
https://www.racefans.net/2022/02/24/20 ... spain-749/