2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Mchamilton wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:43
fritticaldi wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:40
Is it possible James Allison produced a lemon? In the past, revolutionary cars often resulted in white elephants. Remember the Mercedes CLR ? The car that flipped three times at Le Mans in 1999.
Look at their sector 2 times... The car is no way a lemon. Folk need to takena chill pill, its race 1 of the season. Merc did testing differently to everyone elae with their 2 different aero configs. So its no suprised theyre taking longer to get on top of the issue.
Absolutely. That S2 time is ominous. Considering that the Merc engines traditionally run really detuned during FP (to reduce engine wear and performance loss I guess?) it’s clear in the low speed that Merc will be v v v good. They just want to solve the problem without accepting a performance loss, which of course is what any team would do

Sofa King
Sofa King

Are they focusing on making up the weaknesses of last year's car on the slow corners while not yet showing their cards with the engine power on the straights? It's also important to remember that pole isn't as important as it was in the past with less overheating behind and more ability to overtake, so I'm curious how the long-run went during FP2
Last edited by Sofa King on 18 Mar 2022, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

dialtone wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 18:22
Folks... Merc won 8 WCC in a row, they had the lowest wind tunnel time of all teams.
Over the course of 2021 they had the same tunnel time as Red Bull, and from July 21 to January 22 had more time than Red Bull. Since then they have had less than Red Bull

fritticaldi

The customer teams that share the Mercedes PU namely Aston Martin , McLaren and Williams are also woeful. McLaren has taken a giant leap backwards and AMR as well. Do we see the common denominator?

SiLo

I wonder if Mercedes have a larger delta between their practice engine maps and quali maps now.
Felipe Baby!

Artur Craft

Guenther Steiner on Mercedes' sidepod concept:

"Exactly this concept was our first draft. We had it in the wind tunnel last July and already realized that it brings advantages in slow corners. As an overall package, however, we saw greater potential in wide sidepods."
AMuS

Don´t know if was already posted here

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

SiLo

Artur Craft wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 19:44

"Exactly this concept was our first draft. We had it in the wind tunnel last July and already realized that it brings advantages in slow corners. As an overall package, however, we saw greater potential in wide sidepods."
AMuS

Slow corners are where the most time can be made up... but how many tracks have enough slow corners for this to make you fast?

The difficulty is, Haas had more wind tunnel time by a long way, yet I have no doubt that Mercedes has far more talent to make such a concept work.
Felipe Baby!

chrisc90

SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:58
Artur Craft wrote:

AMuS

Slow corners are where the most time can be made up... but how many tracks have enough slow corners for this to make you fast?

The difficulty is, Haas had more wind tunnel time by a long way, yet I have no doubt that Mercedes has far more talent to make such a concept work.
What staff did merc lose to other teams? I believe it was quite a few heads?

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

chrisc90 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 21:13
SiLo wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 20:58
Artur Craft wrote:

AMuS

What staff did merc lose to other teams? I believe it was quite a few heads?
They were all engine people

RZS10

Everyone is taking those quotes out of context. This is the part of the article:

Mercedes, McLaren und Williams sind konstruktiv betrachtet eine Familie. Kurze Seitenkästen und eine schlanke Taille im Heck helfen in langsamen Kurven, weil mit dieser Anordnung die Oberseite des Diffusors, der untere Heckflügel und die vielen kleinen Finnen an den hinteren Bremsbelüftungen besser angeströmt werden. "Genau dieses Konzept war unser erster Entwurf. Wir hatten das letzten Juli im Windkanal, und haben da schon festgestellt, dass es Vorteile in langsamen Kurven bringt. Als Gesamtpaket haben wir aber in breiten Seitenkästen ein größeres Potenzial gesehen", berichtet Haas-Teamchef Guenther Steiner.
this translates to:
Construction wise Mercedes, McLaren and Williams are one family. Short sidepods and a slim waist in the rear help in slow corners, because with this arrangement the top of the diffuser, the beam wing and the many small fins on the rear brake ducts get a better airflow. "Exactly this concept [meaning:slim/short sidepods and a narrow coke bottle] was our first draft. We had it in the wind tunnel last July and already realized that it brings advantages in slow corners. As an overall package, however, we saw greater potential in wide sidepods," reports Haas team boss Guenther Steiner.

I honestly doubt that all the other teams thought about/trialled literally the exact same concept with the separate SIS wing and side pod shape.

PlatinumZealot

Haas wilm not have developed that idea to any extent so what Guenther says holds no water.

It's easy to see where Mercedes is focusing their efforts to fix this problem; all we have to do is look where they use rakes and Flow-vis.

They had rakes still on the coke bottle today. At least this are what we were able to see. Mercedes could have some issues upstream of that area. Flows either unstable or or something.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

The porpoising is the cause of all their pace issues. It’s killing their straight line speed and nuking the tires on long runs.

Those with the bouncing under control are the frontrunners at this stage, moreso than the concept differences.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dialtone
dialtone

RZS10 wrote:
18 Mar 2022, 21:18
Everyone is taking those quotes out of context. This is the part of the article:

Mercedes, McLaren und Williams sind konstruktiv betrachtet eine Familie. Kurze Seitenkästen und eine schlanke Taille im Heck helfen in langsamen Kurven, weil mit dieser Anordnung die Oberseite des Diffusors, der untere Heckflügel und die vielen kleinen Finnen an den hinteren Bremsbelüftungen besser angeströmt werden. "Genau dieses Konzept war unser erster Entwurf. Wir hatten das letzten Juli im Windkanal, und haben da schon festgestellt, dass es Vorteile in langsamen Kurven bringt. Als Gesamtpaket haben wir aber in breiten Seitenkästen ein größeres Potenzial gesehen", berichtet Haas-Teamchef Guenther Steiner.
this translates to:
Construction wise Mercedes, McLaren and Williams are one family. Short sidepods and a slim waist in the rear help in slow corners, because with this arrangement the top of the diffuser, the beam wing and the many small fins on the rear brake ducts get a better airflow. "Exactly this concept [meaning:slim/short sidepods and a narrow coke bottle] was our first draft. We had it in the wind tunnel last July and already realized that it brings advantages in slow corners. As an overall package, however, we saw greater potential in wide sidepods," reports Haas team boss Guenther Steiner.

I honestly doubt that all the other teams thought about/trialled literally the exact same concept with the separate SIS wing and side pod shape.
Why would that be hard to believe? I'm an engineer, in another field but still, and if I were tasked to build something like that, I would first build the absolute best possible thing that I could, even without following some of the rules challenges (like where to place the SIS) and validate in CFD. Once I choose a path then I can start to worry about "how do I make this legal?". So yeah, probably Haas didn't get to the point of modeling the SIS, but figuring out where to put the upper SIS when you slim down sidepods is a problem that everyone would have had to think about if they wanted to go down that path, they probably put a fairing on top of it in the model and called it a day, even if illegal.

This is at least the typical Wishful Thinking approach that is very practiced in computer programming: https://wiki.c2.com/?WishfulThinking