2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:37
f1316 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:10
ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 21:25
Dont know if it was mentioned.. But the Ferrari pitstops are much better this year!
The stops gave them the win.
Both stops Max could have got rhe undercut but the quick ferrari stops countered that.
No, for the first stop, Charles’ stop was longer than Max’s (I believe 3.1 vs 2.9 for Max) - it was Carlos who had 2.5 on the first stop. On the second, Ferrari gained 0.5 but the gap was around 1s coming out of the pit, so it would have been close - maybe more like first stop with back and forth overtake - but not a clear cut lead for Max.

What won the race for Ferrari was Charles having the better pace, plain and simple. He pulled out a 3-5s gap before each of the stops and that gave them room to react. Max was saying he could have pushed harder on outlaps to undercut, and that may be true, but I suspect the reason the team told him not to was because his tyres wouldn’t last if he did. Ultimately Leclerc had a small but crucial pace advantage.
Max did not manage his tyres well. This is a weakness from last year. And people kept saying the W12 got faster, when in truth it seems Max tends to wear his tyres too fast. The 3 to 4 seconds was at the end of the stints. Ferrari did not have consistent advantage. If they did leclerc would have rode off into the sunset. The Ferarri advantage is probably a few hundreths per lap. What gave the gap was the tyre management of Max.
But let's wait till the lap charts come out.
Max does not wear down his tyres, he was 16 seconds ahead of Perez and was on a low downforce setup which degraded his tyres whereas Charles had a high downforce setup which extended his tyre wear

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Dee wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:44
ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:37
f1316 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:10

No, for the first stop, Charles’ stop was longer than Max’s (I believe 3.1 vs 2.9 for Max) - it was Carlos who had 2.5 on the first stop. On the second, Ferrari gained 0.5 but the gap was around 1s coming out of the pit, so it would have been close - maybe more like first stop with back and forth overtake - but not a clear cut lead for Max.

What won the race for Ferrari was Charles having the better pace, plain and simple. He pulled out a 3-5s gap before each of the stops and that gave them room to react. Max was saying he could have pushed harder on outlaps to undercut, and that may be true, but I suspect the reason the team told him not to was because his tyres wouldn’t last if he did. Ultimately Leclerc had a small but crucial pace advantage.
Max did not manage his tyres well. This is a weakness from last year. And people kept saying the W12 got faster, when in truth it seems Max tends to wear his tyres too fast. The 3 to 4 seconds was at the end of the stints. Ferrari did not have consistent advantage. If they did leclerc would have rode off into the sunset. The Ferarri advantage is probably a few hundreths per lap. What gave the gap was the tyre management of Max.
But let's wait till the lap charts come out.
Max does not wear down his tyres, he was 16 seconds ahead of Perez and was on a low downforce setup which degraded his tyres whereas Charles had a high downforce setup which extended his tyre wear
The car either allows you to be kind to tyres or it doesn’t. Look how Fred just munched through them like no man’s business. Equally Lewis was on the blower straightaway wrt how quickly he went through the hards

shamyakovic
shamyakovic

vorticism wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:46
shamyakovic wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:33
No its the reference for getting title on behalf of the race director :lol:
Is that better or worse than being the face of the greenwashing era of F1?
What is that?

tpe
tpe

Big Tea wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 20:39
The cars seemed so slow to me. Unweildy on corners and like watching passing traffic.
It may have been a combination of the track and the lights, but on screen it was less 'speedy' than F2
Exactly.

LM10
LM10

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 22:27
My hypothesis were clearly hinged on Mercedes solving their issues. I'm very consistent with that.

I still have RedBull ahead of Ferrari. And RB development is always very good. I see RB better developing than Ferrari over the season. Of course I rather Charles win over Max but it will take a supreme effort.

Yes Ferrari did a good job, everyone is a Ferrari fan. I will always watch what Ferrari is doing.
You see RB developing better because of historical experience. The same mistake most people have done by saying that Ferrari had shown their hand in testing because “traditionally” they run higher power modes and lighter on fuel.
But the key thing is that Ferrari has changed under Binotto. Their tools changed too. They no longer have correlation issues which was the major reason behind their development hiccups in the past.

Basically you pretend things only based on past events. That’s easy.

As for the last part of your post, it’s a good thing that not everyone is a Ferrari fan… :)

proteus

Got to say this new F1 is somewhat not enjoyable for my eyes. Cars look stiff, bulky and slow.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zeph
zeph

I love the return of K-Mag resulting in P5 for Haas. That is a story you can't make up. And Bottas' P6 feels pretty nice, too.

LM10
LM10

#AMuS The Red Bull engineers calculated that they were on average three tenths slower than Ferrari in Bahrain. Ferrari drove with more downforce because they can afford it with their engine power. Red Bull paid for smaller wings with more tyre deg.

#tami.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Loved Mark Webber's dig about the safety car just before the safety car came out. I guess he still holds a grudge against RBR. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:32
#AMuS The Red Bull engineers calculated that they were on average three tenths slower than Ferrari in Bahrain. Ferrari drove with more downforce because they can afford it with their engine power. Red Bull paid for smaller wings with more tyre deg.

#tami.
Cue Horner complaining about Ferrari power. Makes a change from him moaning about Mercedes... :lol:

zeph
zeph

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:33
LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:32

#tami.
Cue Horner complaining about Ferrari power.
Incoming in 3...2...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wow the mods are going to be busy with you lot.

I got a board warning for making a joke. You lot are insulting each other and taking the Mickey out of Red Bull. Going to be a lonely old forum soon, once we've all been banned for upsetting the Massive. :lol:

Simone Ferrari

That was a joke! :D
Schippke wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:55
Bomber_Pilot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 18:50
Leclerc was also saying on the radio that he had engine problems on the last lap.
Could you possibly find a link for that? Didn't get any of that on the broadcast...

dialtone
dialtone

2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

LM10 wrote:#AMuS The Red Bull engineers calculated that they were on average three tenths slower than Ferrari in Bahrain. Ferrari drove with more downforce because they can afford it with their engine power. Red Bull paid for smaller wings with more tyre deg.

#tami.
Yeah thankfully RedBull doesn’t inform themselves with the same sources of some commentators here :). They have their head screwed on right and it will help them get better. Ferrari this weekend was almost dominant, a great Verstappen kept them in check but even his pass attempts were long shots. Might be other tracks with less traction predominance will benefit them.

Jambier

Alpine and McLaren… those teams.
What the hell?

Let’s hope to have again a close battle for title