2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

Sulman wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 04:23
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:34
Dee wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:05

No, if you are reading something that says RB made a miscalculation on fuel, that is wrong

It was a fuel pump that stopped feeding fuel to the engine
How would you explain that both cars had the same issue within 2 laps? And they were the only car that had this issue in the race?
This was my line of thought. The description by Christian Horner was cryptic, something like "the engine was not getting fuel" and my immediate thought was: Was there any left? Something with the E10 formulation catching them out perhaps. Maybe running too high a mode for too long? They've been doing this for eight years now, so they should have the software down.
The Magnetti Marelli fuel pump is a new-for-2022 spec part which is proving problematic when the fuel level is low. :)

All the teams were allowed to inspect their fuel pumps after qualifying.

Mogster

holeindalip wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 00:59
zeph wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 00:40
I wouldn't start complaining about the cars just yet. It was the first race, and I expect teams will figure out the new formula soon enough. I bet they will be as fast as ever by the end of the year.
Exactly, these cars are all going to find chunks of time once they figure out what’s needed…
This was Russell’s point when he mentioned active suspension. There’s just no grip in the slow corners, tons of understeer. I wonder if Merc already have a car with an active an active set up running in the sim?

The corners they look slowest in are corners designed particularly with the old cars in mind, going forward maybe corners need to be designed for these cars? There’s no doubt the aero wake changes are more successful than hoped, it’s just a pity about the weight gain and lack of front grip in slow corners.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 09:40
Sulman wrote:
dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:34

How would you explain that both cars had the same issue within 2 laps? And they were the only car that had this issue in the race?
This was my line of thought. The description by Christian Horner was cryptic, something like "the engine was not getting fuel" and my immediate thought was: Was there any left? Something with the E10 formulation catching them out perhaps. Maybe running too high a mode for too long? They've been doing this for eight years now, so they should have the software down.
The Magnetti Marelli fuel pump is a new-for-2022 spec part which is proving problematic when the fuel level is low. :)

Yet it’s only a RedBull’s issue and caused retirement for both the cars. Somewhat convenient/amazingly unlucky wouldn’t you say. That’s why people are questioning it and wonder if it’s just RedBull spin. Yes teams checked them but it now gives RedBull an easy if somewhat convenient excuse.

DChemTech
DChemTech

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 06:39
Material compatibility issues at the fuel pump is a rubbish rumour. Choosing a material that alcohol will not attack is the most basic design decision there if it was known for years that E10 will be used. So I don't for once believe that the Magnetti marelli made this mistake.
Knowing how some large companies operate, I would not be so sure about that :lol:

DChemTech
DChemTech

Restomaniac wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:12
JordanMugen wrote:
Sulman wrote:

Yet it’s only a RedBull’s issue and caused retirement for both the cars. Somewhat convenient/amazingly unlucky wouldn’t you say. That’s why people are questioning it and wonder if it’s just RedBull spin. Yes teams checked them but it now gives RedBull an easy if somewhat convenient excuse.
It is. But there could be multiple factors at play.
- Perhaps the specific fuel mix that Exxon came up with is just a thad bit more aggressive to the material
- Perhaps RB were running their pump more aggressive in the end and that pushed them over the edge
- there were some theories floating about that the exact placement of the pump in the RB made it more prone to overheating, combined with the effect of the E10.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more thorough report soon. But I guess that depends on whether the issue was mostly RB related (in which case they'll likely remain silent) or due to the spec-part (in which case I am anticipating some noise from RB)

Shakeman

Mogster wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 09:49
This was Russell’s point when he mentioned active suspension. There’s just no grip in the slow corners, tons of understeer. I wonder if Merc already have a car with an active an active set up running in the sim?

The corners they look slowest in are corners designed particularly with the old cars in mind, going forward maybe corners need to be designed for these cars? There’s no doubt the aero wake changes are more successful than hoped, it’s just a pity about the weight gain and lack of front grip in slow corners.
Why on earth would Merc waste time simulating active suspension when it's banned? It does not make sense.

On the whole I thought the new cars were a disappointment and added little to the show. The main issues again were the tyres, I thought were were told they were supposed to be tyres that could be leaned on? They're even more like chewing gum than before.

I bet the racing would've been similar with 2021 cars with 2022 tyres. Once again an inconveniently timed failure caused a bit of last minute dice rolling. It's obvious DRS isn't going to go away anytime soon which further strengthens my point.

All rather disappointing and not the step change we were fed.

siskue2005

Shakeman wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:12

On the whole I thought the new cars were a disappointment and added little to the show. The main issues again were the tyres, I thought were were told they were supposed to be tyres that could be leaned on? They're even more like chewing gum than before.

I bet the racing would've been similar with 2021 cars with 2022 tyres. Once again an inconveniently timed failure caused a bit of last minute dice rolling. It's obvious DRS isn't going to go away anytime soon which further strengthens my point.

I have to agree, the tyres are a disappointment again and the cars feel like and look like trucks

mzivtins
mzivtins

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:17
Shakeman wrote:

I have to agree, the tyres are a disappointment again and the cars feel like and look like trucks
It was so strange to see the cars moving so slowly compared with last season. I like the way curbs cannot be attacked, but not at the expense of raw speed

siskue2005

mzivtins wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:22
siskue2005 wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

It was so strange to see the cars moving so slowly compared with last season. I like the way curbs cannot be attacked, but not at the expense of raw speed
It's also the basic suspension and ground effects. It looked like formula Ford level agility to me

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

DChemTech wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:03
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 10:12
JordanMugen wrote:

It is. But there could be multiple factors at play.
- Perhaps the specific fuel mix that Exxon came up with is just a thad bit more aggressive to the material
- Perhaps RB were running their pump more aggressive in the end and that pushed them over the edge
- there were some theories floating about that the exact placement of the pump in the RB made it more prone to overheating, combined with the effect of the E10.

Hopefully we'll see a bit more thorough report soon. But I guess that depends on whether the issue was mostly RB related (in which case they'll likely remain silent) or due to the spec-part (in which case I am anticipating some noise from RB)
If it’s RedBull’s placement/fuel/or how they attached it then it would make far more sense how it seems to be a RedBull problem specificity.

Shakeman

siskue2005 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:24
mzivtins wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:22
siskue2005 wrote:

It's also the basic suspension and ground effects. It looked like formula Ford level agility to me
Watching the highlights had me hankering after the small and nimble 2008 era cars, they would be great with a restriction on the aero accoutrements and slick tyres. 2022 cars have all the poise of limousines.

Awful (so far).

wogx

Last edited by wogx on 21 Mar 2022, 15:03, edited 2 times in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

There's one thing I can't get out of my head regarding Red Bull.

If Sergio didn't have a fuel issue.....he'd have 15 points and Max none.

If for whatever reason Segio did better than Max in quali in the next couple races while the Ferrari are still so strong.

Would they still make Sergio move over for Max?

Jolle
Jolle

GrizzleBoy wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 11:36
There's one thing I can't get out of my head regarding Red Bull.

If Sergio didn't have a fuel issue.....he'd have 15 points and Max none.

If for whatever reason Segio did better than Max in quali in the next couple races while the Ferrari are still so strong.

Would they still make Sergio move over for Max?
There is too much of a performance difference between Perez and Verstappen that they have to worry about that. Perez could be lucky in a few races, but they and everybody knows, that over a season Verstappen is the one to bet on.

sosic2121
sosic2121

vorticism wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 20:29
ringo wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 20:19
He put himself in position with key overtakes, as well as pressured Perez into the failure. If he was too far away from Perez it would have been possible for Perez to cruise home maybe.
Maybe. Or maybe the fuel pump just failed.
Yees, but he put crucial pressure on his fuel pump! :lol: