2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zeph
zeph

Re: 2022 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, March 18 - 20

I wouldn't start complaining about the cars just yet. It was the first race, and I expect teams will figure out the new formula soon enough. I bet they will be as fast as ever by the end of the year.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

There’s no denying their speed, but their length, weight and seeming lack of agility is less than pleasing on the eye. Thought today was pretty dull tbh

holeindalip
holeindalip

zeph wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 00:40
I wouldn't start complaining about the cars just yet. It was the first race, and I expect teams will figure out the new formula soon enough. I bet they will be as fast as ever by the end of the year.
Exactly, these cars are all going to find chunks of time once they figure out what’s needed…

dialtone
dialtone

I for one thought it was pretty good. Cars are still very fast, only 1.5s slower than last year per lap, in 2014 they were a lot slower than this. They aren't light but I don't see why one would complain when half the weight is to not have drivers die in mortal accidents like they still happen these years. Did we all forget Anthoine Hubert or Grosjean? Or how many complained about the halo except it probably saved the life of Alonso and Hamilton in the last few years?

I liked the racing, certainly biased due to me being a Ferrari fan for 30 years, but still. I heard similar comments about the cars after many rule changes except maybe 2017. Everyone will get used to it and it will be different on tracks that aren't so traction limited.

moro.leonaers
moro.leonaers

bonjon1979 wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 00:38
I thought the cars looked really ponderous today. Very slow in the slow stuff, reminded me of an old 90s game that I can’t remember the name off. You drove spaceship style vehicles but on the road?
Wipeout?

AMG.Tzan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:58
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:51
AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:48
Epic race!

At last Red Bull and Max get what they deserve...! Leclerc is the only guy that can play Max's games and still beat him fair and square! Hamilton wasn't quite that aggressive last year...

The new cars seem to do exactly what they were designed for...everyone was so close together and cars following never looked unsettled by the car in front!! Bravo F1!!
Ahh the pettiness stll continues from the Merc boys. ](*,)

Wouldnt say the new cars did much different from last year either. 1/3 of the grid got lapped by lap 40 and huge gaps between everyone.

Only bonus was cars seemed to sit right behind better.
Jokes on you!! AMG Tarzan is NOT a Mercedes boy. He is a Schumacher fan and he is very critical of Merc actually.
AMG Tarzan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to play a bit with the Red Bull boys. No bad feelings towards RB and Max tho!

Didn't expect Ferrari to be able to go head to head with Red Bull! Epic battle between Max and Charles...what a clever driver Charles is! I read on Reddit that during Verstapen's attacks Charles was 15km/h down compared to his previous laps! Probably letting Verstapen by so that he can get him back up to turn 4! And I think it's true because Verstapen was catching Leclerc to fast down the straight...it looked as if Leclerc had a problem!

Can't believe a team that has done thousands of kilometers during testing ends up with 2 DNFs 1 week later! How can that happen?? There were no reliability issues during testing...

Mercedes is quite far back from RB and Ferrari! They're fast nowhere and even with DRS Lewis couldn't pass Perez or Sainz down the straight...they must carrying a lot of drag and their engines don't seem to be the most powerful anymore if we take into account the other 3 Mercedes-engined cars! They basically need a new car...

McLaren! What the...?? Back to their 2015 self?? :oops:

P.S. Magnussen destroying Schumacher after 1 year off and with such a late notice just makes me think that Mick has just the name and nothing more than that...
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Actual cars ar as fast as 2016 car.
in conclusion, they are veeeeeery slow.

Watto
Watto

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 01:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:58
chrisc90 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 19:51

Ahh the pettiness stll continues from the Merc boys. ](*,)

Wouldnt say the new cars did much different from last year either. 1/3 of the grid got lapped by lap 40 and huge gaps between everyone.

Only bonus was cars seemed to sit right behind better.
Jokes on you!! AMG Tarzan is NOT a Mercedes boy. He is a Schumacher fan and he is very critical of Merc actually.
AMG Tarzan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to play a bit with the Red Bull boys. No bad feelings towards RB and Max tho!

Didn't expect Ferrari to be able to go head to head with Red Bull! Epic battle between Max and Charles...what a clever driver Charles is! I read on Reddit that during Verstapen's attacks Charles was 15km/h down compared to his previous laps! Probably letting Verstapen by so that he can get him back up to turn 4! And I think it's true because Verstapen was catching Leclerc to fast down the straight...it looked as if Leclerc had a problem!

Can't believe a team that has done thousands of kilometers during testing ends up with 2 DNFs 1 week later! How can that happen?? There were no reliability issues during testing...

Mercedes is quite far back from RB and Ferrari! They're fast nowhere and even with DRS Lewis couldn't pass Perez or Sainz down the straight...they must carrying a lot of drag and their engines don't seem to be the most powerful anymore if we take into account the other 3 Mercedes-engined cars! They basically need a new car...

McLaren! What the...?? Back to their 2015 self?? :oops:

P.S. Magnussen destroying Schumacher after 1 year off and with such a late notice just makes me think that Mick has just the name and nothing more than that...
Amus have reported issues with all teams during testing with the new E10 fuel causing issues with the resin in the fuel systems during testing, perhaps hitting RB harder than the others based off today.

The Mac Vs Charles battle was fantastic today, Good to see a close race

Sulman
Sulman

Did the RBR cars run out of fuel?

Sulman
Sulman

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:33
LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:32
#AMuS The Red Bull engineers calculated that they were on average three tenths slower than Ferrari in Bahrain. Ferrari drove with more downforce because they can afford it with their engine power. Red Bull paid for smaller wings with more tyre deg.

#tami.
Cue Horner complaining about Ferrari power. Makes a change from him moaning about Mercedes... :lol:
h
The speed of the Red Bull on the main straight was so breathtaking I struggled to comprehend it. I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed. Did LEC lift off or something? Max was in another country coming out of the last corner, then he was right there. The onboard looked like the millenium falcon.

Dee
Dee

Sulman wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 02:59
No, if you are reading something that says RB made a miscalculation on fuel, that is wrong

It was a fuel pump that stopped feeding fuel to the engine

ringo

I think they were low on fuel and running high power, which they may not have run in winter testing.
I wont blame the pump, I would blame the installation of the pump. Its probably in a very warm place once the fuel level goes down and its no longer cooled or lubricated by the fuel.

Alonso got whooped by Ocon today. I think he should retire again next year. He has a few moments of brilliance, but he isn't head and shoulders above Ocon in terms of qualifying or race pace. Ocon seem to be a much improved driver and Alonso needs to leave before Ocon destroys him.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

Sulman wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:33
LM10 wrote:
20 Mar 2022, 23:32
#AMuS The Red Bull engineers calculated that they were on average three tenths slower than Ferrari in Bahrain. Ferrari drove with more downforce because they can afford it with their engine power. Red Bull paid for smaller wings with more tyre deg.

#tami.
Cue Horner complaining about Ferrari power. Makes a change from him moaning about Mercedes... :lol:
h
The speed of the Red Bull on the main straight was so breathtaking I struggled to comprehend it. I'm sure that didn't go unnoticed. Did LEC lift off or something? Max was in another country coming out of the last corner, then he was right there. The onboard looked like the millenium falcon.
LEC said he lifted to make sure VER didn't get DRS in the straight to T4 and limited his car to 280kmh and 7th gear without switching up to 8th gear. Basically he baited VER to avoid being passed right before S2.

dialtone
dialtone

Dee wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:05
Sulman wrote:
No, if you are reading something that says RB made a miscalculation on fuel, that is wrong

How would you explain that both cars had the same issue within 2 laps? And they were the only car that had this issue in the race?

Dee
Dee

dialtone wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:34
Dee wrote:
21 Mar 2022, 03:05
Sulman wrote:

How would you explain that both cars had the same issue within 2 laps? And they were the only car that had this issue in the race?
Because, as I said. They have identical cars. If both cars have faulty parts, under the same conditions, they will break down in a similar timeline.

Max's fuel pump was malfunctioning for a few laps, Perez went straight away

It was the reason why RB had no data for Max when he said he was having issues with power

The engine was good, RB did not understand what was going on