Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Red Bull RB18

PhillipM wrote:
23 Mar 2022, 13:27
Does anyone have a decent photo of the 'bent' steering arm?

Because I haven't seen one yet, and I don't believe it can be that simple. If the arm is metal under carbon and bent *somehow* in the really low forces at a pitstop, it would just toe the tyre in a bit, that wouldn't explain the almost locking steering Max was describing even with power steering at all. If it's carbon it wouldn't bend it'd just flex and spring back.

The only way I can see that being plausible is if the outer joint went past it's designed misalignment angle, bound up and deformed. But I don't really see that either, one the misalignment angles in F1 are tiny anyway, especially with no steering lock on to give a compound angle - and two that would be a really, really rookie mistake on suspension design for a team of F1/RB calibre.

So far we only have a throwaway comment made at that time of "maybe we've bent a steering arm", I can't find any pictures?
As chrisc90 pointed out there can be forces encountered static that won't be seen while the wheels are turning (steering input force increases f.e.), regardless of downforce and curb impacts. The stiction of the heated tire (blankets) combined with 1g vertical acceleration while the wheels are toed in from droop. The lower profile tires may not have as much deflection as last season in such a scenario, transferring more force to the steering arms.
𓄀

PhillipM
PhillipM

Most of that force would go into the wishbones, not the steering arms, I'm well aware of static jacking forces.

vorticism

Yes but any twisting force about the kingpin axis during the drop will be carried by the steering link. The tires land with some toe angle and want to stay in that orientation as more weight is applied via gravity, the only members acting against that would be steering members as they deflect the tire around the contact patch. Granted this could all be RB press chaffe.

Further speculation: RB are combining upper arm multi link with a flexure mount on at least one of those upper links. This means the power steering operates against some amount of flexure deflection. That might be close to nil but if not maybe there's an issue of fatigue over the course of testing and one race.
𓄀

Godius

The cooling gills were partially closed last race. Image

ferkan
ferkan

Re: Ferrari F1-75

gluon wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 13:38
Looks like Ferrari and Alpine are using less wing than McLaren and crucially RBR.
RB is running low downforce with Perez

Wouter

Although no further details have been forthcoming about what exactly went wrong inside the Red Bull fuel system,
it is understood that the team is satisfied it has got to the bottom of the problem and has put in place fixes to prevent a repeat
from this weekend's Saudi Arabian GP.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/red-bull-has-fix-in-place- for-bahrain-f1-fuel-system-problem/9277130/
The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

Wonder how the cost of the rear wing has increased with this design. They can't just change a flat main plane now, almost the entire wing has to change.
Felipe Baby!

mzso
mzso

What's with the abnormal flashing: https://youtu.be/9RME6YkiVPw?t=126 ?
Really strange.

gluon
gluon

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 17:56
What's with the abnormal flashing: https://youtu.be/9RME6YkiVPw?t=126 ?
Really strange.
I've seen it before. I don't think it has any special meaning, probably just the way it works. Sometimes it can blink the lights out of phase. This is from the first tests of the wing lights:

Only the right light:

Both lights:

Wouter

Red Bull bring first upgrades for RB18 to Saudi Arabia

Today, 21:10
Red Bull will run some new parts on their car in Saudi Arabia this weekend, as RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti highlights.

As spotted by RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti in the Jeddah pit lane, the RB18's nose has been given a facelift and features a revised front air intake.

The 'naked' nose did not have the team's livery applied at the time the photos were taken, making it clear to see how the profile is flatter and less rounded than before.

Alongside the nose tweak comes a modified front wing, featuring a lower angle to the horizontal elements, which are also narrower than before.
https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-brin ... arabian-gp

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 23:02
Red Bull bring first upgrades for RB18 to Saudi Arabia

Today, 21:10
Red Bull will run some new parts on their car in Saudi Arabia this weekend, as RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti highlights.

As spotted by RacingNews365.com technical analyst Paolo Filisetti in the Jeddah pit lane, the RB18's nose has been given a facelift and features a revised front air intake.

The 'naked' nose did not have the team's livery applied at the time the photos were taken, making it clear to see how the profile is flatter and less rounded than before.

Alongside the nose tweak comes a modified front wing, featuring a lower angle to the horizontal elements, which are also narrower than before.
https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-brin ... arabian-gp

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FOpH1t4WYA8 ... name=small
So the drivers need more cooling?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

To me it looks the same. Probably just the standard shape of the CS with the cover removed. Previous photos:

𓄀

Cuky

Isn't that just a nose crash structure with painted cover removed?

zibby43
zibby43

Cuky wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 23:19
Isn't that just a nose crash structure with painted cover removed?
Yep.

gandharva

Source: Motorsport.com

Last edited by gandharva on 25 Mar 2022, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.