2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yener

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

wowgr8 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:00
TNTHead wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:54
Perez on pole =D> =D>!

This is good for RB (and Max also). I think it is good for his development that he is challenged. Nice to see Perez finally delivering. Hopefully he materialises on race day as well.
I think the complete opposite tbh. Max doesn't take kindly to being challenged by a teammate, he was very moody when Ricciardo took pole in Mexico 2018 and we also know how he and Ricciardo clashed in Azerbaijan. Luckily for him I don't think Perez is Ricciardo level but yeah, Max has a really short fuse and gets in his own head really easily when things don't go to plan, this isn't hate, just my observation
That was because Verstappen was hungry for his first pole, and seeing your teammate got the pole by a such a small difference and then seeing him celebrating so outloud, while he knew Max really wanted a pole position in his career makes his reaction quite normal tbh
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Sieper

yener wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 23:19
wowgr8 wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 23:00
TNTHead wrote:
26 Mar 2022, 21:54
Perez on pole =D> =D>!

This is good for RB (and Max also). I think it is good for his development that he is challenged. Nice to see Perez finally delivering. Hopefully he materialises on race day as well.
I think the complete opposite tbh. Max doesn't take kindly to being challenged by a teammate, he was very moody when Ricciardo took pole in Mexico 2018 and we also know how he and Ricciardo clashed in Azerbaijan. Luckily for him I don't think Perez is Ricciardo level but yeah, Max has a really short fuse and gets in his own head really easily when things don't go to plan, this isn't hate, just my observation
That was because Verstappen was hungry for his first pole, and seeing your teammate got the pole by a such a small difference and then seeing him celebrating so outloud, while he knew Max really wanted a pole position in his career makes his reaction quite normal tbh
Yes, Ricciardo was really taunting him there. Plus, max had gear sync issues and lost pole by 1 hundredst of a second there. Max treated checo with a bit more dignity yesterday. And then people attack max for being triggered. By the way, he put a great race in back then in Mexico.

Sieper

ringo wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 22:19
Sieper wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 21:48
Yes, the Ferrari is at the moment the better car. Redbull Made the right DF choice here. Max already behind by a big margin and the reliability seems, well, it scares me.
Given Checo's pole and the pace during the race do you still think the ferrari is the better car?
Sainz seemed not to have any car advantage at all today.
Yes. Checo said it was a lap out of thousands. Plus, all the Ferrari engined cars are suddenly up there.
I think leclerc is great, but I think Max is faster. Also the reason why Max made it to F1 3 years sooner.

But, differences are small. Both between cars and between drivers. No one is the be all and end all. Leclerc has a nice big headstart and the season seems te be close again.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Great result for RB, although it was a bummer for Checo.

Prior to the weekend, I thought Jeddah would suit RB and because the cars are really close in terms of speed, I was not surprised that MV won.

BTW, would Melbourne be considered front or rear limited?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

We don't know what "suits" the RB because they are deliberately running a low downforce package. There's no reason they should bring this package to Melbourne.

lh13
lh13

I think they might be struggling to put on more front downforce, and to balance that out, they're running lower downforce overall. Once they fix that through updates, they'll be good everywhere.

silver
silver

lh13 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 19:05
I think they might be struggling to put on more front downforce, and to balance that out, they're running lower downforce overall. Once they fix that through updates, they'll be good everywhere.
When they bolted the upgrade in Bahrain, it was said that the package cures their understeer problems, which enabled performance worth half a second.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-red ... -tv-pundit
According to the team’s special advisor Helmut Marko, the upgrade to the RB18’s floor reportedly helped the team significantly cut down on understeer while extracting more downforce. Speaking to Auto Motor und Sport following the conclusion of testing, the Austrian said:

“The upgrade gave us more than half a second. We were able to reduce the understeer disproportionately. The correlation between wind tunnel and racetrack is better than expected.”

lh13
lh13

silver wrote:
lh13 wrote:
When they bolted the upgrade in Bahrain, it was said that the package cures their understeer problems, which enabled performance worth half a second.

According to the team’s special advisor Helmut Marko, the upgrade to the RB18’s floor reportedly helped the team significantly cut down on understeer while extracting more downforce. Speaking to Auto Motor und Sport following the conclusion of testing, the Austrian said:

“The upgrade gave us more than half a second. We were able to reduce the understeer disproportionately. The correlation between wind tunnel and racetrack is better than expected.”
This is correct but I think their PU is capable of running more downforce and still remaining competitive in a straight line, and the only reason I can think of, of not doing this is that they need to find even more downforce at the front, to add more at the rear without interfering with the balance of the car.

I maybe completely wrong though. If they run lower-ish downforce in Melbourne as well, then what I'm saying might be correct.

lh13
lh13

Any update planned for Melbourne?

Gillian
Gillian

Possibly a bit more cautious with the PU too until the issues are analyzed?

Watto
Watto

lh13 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 19:33
Any update planned for Melbourne?
Apparently Imola is their target for a weight reduction

Maybe something for Melb who knows but main focus sees on Imola

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Red Bull are atleast 10kg overweight (because Marko said they believe they are 10kg heavier than Ferrari), therefore Red Bull is atleast 10kg overweight if we presume the Ferrari is at 798 (it's not).

10kg in Bahrain was worth 4 tenths according to experts.

I think car performance is being masked heavily by the weight issue. Lower weight would give less tire wear too.

chrisc90

I think it definitely looks a lot heavier than some of the laps we were seeing last year from Max in the RB. Granted its a different regulation set and they probably need a bit different driving style.

Cassius
Cassius

lh13 wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 19:28
silver wrote:
lh13 wrote:

This is correct but I think their PU is capable of running more downforce and still remaining competitive in a straight line, and the only reason I can think of, of not doing this is that they need to find even more downforce at the front, to add more at the rear without interfering with the balance of the car.

I maybe completely wrong though. If they run lower-ish downforce in Melbourne as well, then what I'm saying might be correct.
Fully agree with your analysis. It is also supported by the fact on medium tyres Max could not really push as he did not have the front grip. This led to understeer which degraded his tyres sooner than the Ferraris.

Max really likes a strong front. The next update will hopefully fix that. Combined with some weight loss, the RB will be right up there with the Ferrari on every track.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

How could they be struggling for front downforce? Why can't you crank up the front wing?

Normally the issue is not having enough floor performance, and having to back off the front wing to get it balanced.