Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Ferrari F1-75

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 09:25
rafeyahmad wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 23:13
Duchessa (the go-to journalist for anythng Ferrari) confirms the team ordered a 5bhp increase for the weekend:
A small power increase of 5 bhp has been deliberated in order to counter the better efficiency of Red Bull in Australia, which is able to generate more speed in the straights. It is not a foregone conclusion that this small gain will also be used at Imola, as Ferrari is also working hard on reliability with the first unit.
Source: https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-ha-alza ... e-a-imola/
Thanks. If true, that's not much, as they confirmed in the article, not more than 0.1s. It didn't make the difference in Q or in the race, race was about better tire management, i.e. better setup. Also confirmed in the article...

F1NAC wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 23:51
Given how low they lifted his car, it is difficult to take photos

https://streamable.com/2xm32j

Must be Ferrari fans 8)
Guess we now know where the CoG without the driver is. :mrgreen:
Looks pretty balanced, I'd say it's right behind the roll hoop because the track workers didn't have to do much to keep it relatively level, just some slight tugging in the back. The front overhang is greater than the legacy cars so that would definitely push the COG forward relative to the previous generation.
Saishū kōnā

matteosc
matteosc

I keep reading about positioning of the COG, but as far as I know its longitudinal position is fixed by rule (with small margin). I think that the balance of the car is way more based on the aerodynamic balance, which ahs little to do with the COG position.

vorticism

matteosc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 16:44
I keep reading about positioning of the COG, but as far as I know its longitudinal position is fixed by rule (with small margin).
Dry weight distribution is regulated. Fueled weight distribution is not.
𓄀

LM10
LM10

In a YouTube comment a former McLaren mechanic said that the engineers would tell them to exactly look at the hanging cars for them to then precisely measure the weight distribution.

Why would teams want to know the weight distribution of other cars? How would they apply this information to their car? Isn’t this extremely concept dependent?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:15
In a YouTube comment a former McLaren mechanic said that the engineers would tell them to exactly look at the hanging cars for them to then precisely measure the weight distribution.

Why would teams want to know the weight distribution of other cars? How would they apply this information to their car? Isn’t this extremely concept dependent?
How "former" is this "Former" mechanic. Mandatory weight distribution is a newer regulation. If he's from an older generation, then it won't have much context because back then teams would actually have different weight distribution.

matteosc
matteosc

vorticism wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 17:41
matteosc wrote:
I keep reading about positioning of the COG, but as far as I know its longitudinal position is fixed by rule (with small margin).
Isn't the position of the fuel tank regulated as well? Or at least, I thought it was approximately in the same position for all cars, behind the driver.

Also, I suspect you may not want a drastic change of weight distribution during a GP, so fueled vs not fueled should not make a big difference.

deadhead

vorticism wrote:
matteosc wrote:

At the 3 min mark in this interview talking about positioning of the fuel tank with some pride..

Do you think maybe they are playing something similar now?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:15

In the refuelling era, one might be able to use this information to figure the fuel state of the car at the time it failed. That might be useful in determining what their strategies would be regarding fuel use etc. But other than that, I'm at a loss.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GrrG

New article by Federico Albano on the Ferrari victory

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 12956.html

Andi76
Andi76

matteosc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:11
vorticism wrote:
matteosc wrote:
Isn't the position of the fuel tank regulated as well? Or at least, I thought it was approximately in the same position for all cars, behind the driver.

Also, I suspect you may not want a drastic change of weight distribution during a GP, so fueled vs not fueled should not make a big difference.
It is, but there is still some room to play with. Also there are ways to play with the construction/shape of the fuel tank. Like in the video linked here - where Rory Byrne explains they designed a fuel tank that, when the fuel level went down, was able to move the fuel and by that the COG forward during a race, to counter the natural oversteering tendency( became more during a race because of tyre degradation). Rory overviewed the design of the new Ferrari for the first time since the 2007 car and gave a lot of input. So maybe the F1-75 has something similar.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Andi76 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 13:58
matteosc wrote:
vorticism wrote:

It is, but there is still some room to play with. Also there are ways to play with the construction/shape of the fuel tank. Like in the video linked here - where Rory Byrne explains they designed a fuel tank that, when the fuel level went down, was able to move the fuel and by that the COG forward during a race, to counter the natural oversteering tendency( became more during a race because of tyre degradation). Rory overviewed the design of the new Ferrari for the first time since the 2007 car and gave a lot of input. So maybe the F1-75 has something similar.
____
|___/
|__/

Wedge shaped tank (stylized above :mrgreen: ). The center of gravity of the fuel moves forward as the fuel is depleted.

GrrG

Ferrari with no news at Imola: there is a ... fund of truth

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... content=it

Andi76
Andi76

GrrG wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 23:32
New article by Federico Albano on the Ferrari victory

https://www.formulapassion.it/opinioni/ ... 12956.html
Why someone gets rated negatively for posting a link about a Ferrari victory?

Andi76
Andi76

AR3-GP wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 19:12
Andi76 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 13:58
matteosc wrote:

____
|___/
|__/

Wedge shaped tank (stylized above :mrgreen: ). The center of gravity of the fuel moves forward as the fuel is depleted.
Maybe. But i think there was more about it than just the wedge shape. I talked to two engineers who designed the F2002 and it sounded like there was much more about this fuel tank. I have no proof, but as they still do not talk about any detail of it, i assume its more than just the shape.

GrrG wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 19:29
Ferrari with no news at Imola: there is a ... fund of truth

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... content=it
Here is almost the same article in english:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spri ... s/9830468/

PlatinumZealot

matteosc wrote:
I keep reading about positioning of the COG, but as far as I know its longitudinal position is fixed by rule (with small margin). I think that the balance of the car is way more based on the aerodynamic balance, which ahs little to do with the COG position.
CoG came up because sadly, someone didn't understand how porpoising works and though the CoG was the cause (it isn't! ). This dead topic continues to proliferate when it has no real rationale behind it. It is known for years since the longitudinal CoG is fixed that F1 teams don't lose sleep for CoG height either. Supporting this, Roll center designs over the last 20 years and the fact they started putting radiators high above the engine suggest that CoG height is not a big differentiating facor for these cars anymore. Remeber the 2021 Alpine with its three radiators and intercooler up on top of the engine? That car had pretty sweet handling too if Alonso is to be believed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028