Ferrari F1-75

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Ferrari F1-75

dialtone wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:08
_cerber1 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:05
SSScoffee wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:49
Any pics of Sainz's floor?
https://soymotor.com/sites/default/file ... k=Y6GFeWfy
Those strakes leave a tiny amount of air to come through the diffuser, wow.
The strakes directing the air out instead of down the tunnels is something my flimsy understanding of aerodynamics can't process... yet it seems like something most teams(if not all) agree it's the way to go.

I'd love to have someone explain it to me, and maybe a CFD if it's not asking too much lol.
Last edited by Sevach on 23 Apr 2022, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckjr

Owen.C93 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:28
I don’t think I’ve ever seen plank wear that far rearward before. Not sure how they manage it.

The front end looks near solid from a heave perspective, but if they just rotate around the front axle I’d expect wear marks at rearmost part of the plank which I don’t.
Rear wear must be from the porpoising. The whole rear of the car slams to the ground dozens of times every lap.
Watching F1 since 1986.

vorticism

LM10 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:06
Boldest floor on the fastest car?
Has some unique features. The underside of the cockpit and the floor seem to be a continuous surface and the innermost strake starts underneath the cockpit.
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

_cerber1 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 19:05
SSScoffee wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 18:49
Any pics of Sainz's floor?
Surprisingly unremarkable.

It seems the car is just perfectly tuned in all areas. There isn't any silver bullet.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

JordanMugen

Sevach wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 00:22
dialtone wrote:
The strakes directing the air out rather down the tunnels is something my flimsy understanding of aerodynamics can't process... yet it seems like something most teams(if not all) agree it's the way to go.

I'd love to have someone explain it to me, and maybe a CFD if it's not asking too much lol.
It's not the amount of air going under the floor which is (most) important, it's the speed which it is travelling and how low the pressure is.

From the seminal book by J. Katz, Racecar Aerodynamics, we see how the strakes generate vortices which reduce the pressure under the floor:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... Components

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... und_Effect
Last edited by JordanMugen on 23 Apr 2022, 03:52, edited 3 times in total.

dialtone
dialtone

JordanMugen wrote:
Sevach wrote:
dialtone wrote:
The strakes directing the air out rather down the tunnels is something my flimsy understanding of aerodynamics can't process... yet it seems like something most teams(if not all) agree it's the way to go.

It's not the amount of air going under the floor which is important, it's the speed which it is travelling and how low the pressure is.
They are all correlated, especially w/ inlet v diffuser

VacuousFlamboyant
VacuousFlamboyant

I'm amazed by how much simpler the floor is compared to the Redbull. You would imagine Ferrari overdeveloped the floor by now, but there's room for improvement. The concept of both the floor and sidepods remind me of a wind rotor from the top, energizing the detached flow from porpoising.

Porpoising would be similar to turning it in the opposite direction from time to time. Depending on the frequency and duration, it's possible to make the vortexes generated by porpoising run along the surface without mixing flows from keys areas. There, I think, is where lies Ferrari's success (besides suspension work coordinating that behavior).

ImageImage

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Given the Ferrari and the haas, who share the gearbox, gearbox casing and suspension systems, both seemed incredibly strong in the wet where mechanical grip comes to the fore - my money is on their suspension system being the ‘silver billet’ so to speak. Or at least what is helping them to this early season success.

Porpoising on Leclercs car looked dangerous today, the floor slamming into the ground hard and sparking - almost as bad as russel in FP1. I hope the car, and driver, can last a full sprint and race distance.

PlatinumZealot

Haas learned from early out (I think from 2017) that if they keep the same wheel base as the Ferrari source car, their Ferrari-sourced suspension will perform like it does on the Ferrari.

I suspect their 2022 car has the same wheelbase as the Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Sevach wrote:
dialtone wrote:
The strakes directing the air out instead of down the tunnels is something my flimsy understanding of aerodynamics can't process... yet it seems like something most teams(if not all) agree it's the way to go.

Theres a couple of 2022 car cfd threads that show why the strakes are as they are

jagunx51

............!!!!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Awesome shot.

Carlos providing much assistance in this cost cap limited period of time.

LM10
LM10

GrizzleBoy wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 11:18
Awesome shot.

Carlos providing much assistance in this cost cap limited period of time.
Considering Mercedes and RedBull have provided assistance by not caring about the bottom of the floor being visible in the hands of the mechanics (see comparison post in the W13 thread), I think that Ferrari won’t care much either (for whatever reason).

But still, it was a massively frustrating and unnecessary crash overall.

Vanja #66

Ferrari is allowing so little air to enter under the floor and so much air is going into floor sealing vortices. Those strong vortices are pulling the air from under the floor out (decreasing pressure in the process), which could lead us to a wrong conclusion this starves the diffuser. In fact, diffuser is also drawing air out, inducing left and right ramp vortices (as usual) and reducing the pressure under the floor even more. All this means the air ahead of the floor is also accelerated a bit, increasing the load on the front wing as well.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Chuckjr wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 00:58
Owen.C93 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 20:28
I don’t think I’ve ever seen plank wear that far rearward before. Not sure how they manage it.

The front end looks near solid from a heave perspective, but if they just rotate around the front axle I’d expect wear marks at rearmost part of the plank which I don’t.
Rear wear must be from the porpoising. The whole rear of the car slams to the ground dozens of times every lap.
Yes it's from porposing. But I don't see how it can be localised to a region 2/3rd of the way down the plank when it should be flat. In theory it should only wear at the front or rear edge at one time.

Maybe they have a small amount of curvature in the tolerance allowance.

As for the whole floor design. I think the most interesting part is how they start their strakes from under the tub and not at the inlet like other teams. It's pretty aggressive in terms of expansion ratio. Especally as the air under the tub is pretty clean and far away from the wheel wake.

You can see the under tub strake has been cut as part of the legal zones when looked side on.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)