2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:30
Jambier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:26
Really surprised how quickly they came back to third force!

It really is incredible ! Congrats to the team
Still early to call them third force… The Alpines and Alfas are very quick! It seems that the overall team operation is indeed a step ahead, running for the most part reliably and without many issues when it counts has helped them against them.
I would not rate Alpine as high at the moment. They seem to suffer on long run pace. That was the case in Saudi, Australia and it seems to be the case here as well.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:10
mwillems wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 20:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:32

In the Telemetry, it showed that while Charles and Max went into 8th gear on the main straight… Lando stayed in 7th gear all through (never went into 8th)… No idea the impact of this
None the less that is a very specific point to lose pace against other cars given that corner exit speeds are different.

Could you send me the telemetry that shows the gear changes? I'd not seen this before.
Lando - Orange, Max - White, Charles - Red:

https://i.imgur.com/HXX3Igm.jpg
This is for the same lap as the other telemetry?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:55
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:30
Jambier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:26
Really surprised how quickly they came back to third force!

It really is incredible ! Congrats to the team
Still early to call them third force… The Alpines and Alfas are very quick! It seems that the overall team operation is indeed a step ahead, running for the most part reliably and without many issues when it counts has helped them against them.
I would not rate Alpine as high at the moment. They seem to suffer on long run pace. That was the case in Saudi, Australia and it seems to be the case here as well.
You’ve got a very good point, but in Australia their one lap pace was impressive… If it’s a tire degradation issue, that’s something they can get on top off (let’s remember last year Ferrari’s improvement once they figure out their tire deg… After France they were clearly faster in the race)… They do have a quick car though, I wouldn’t underestimate them.

In Saudi, they were arguably faster than McLaren, in Australia Alonso could have showed a very different pace if he wouldn’t have had the issue in Qualifying and run compromised from an strategy perspective most of the race.

What I’m trying to say is that McLaren is clearly fighting at the top end of the midfield at the moment and that is great… Calling them third fastest is a little early (Mercedes was clear faster in both Saudi and Australia in race pace).

Let’s enjoy the fact that they are in the fight without any real upgrades just yet… It bodes well for when and if the upgrades come

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 00:49
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:10
mwillems wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 20:24

None the less that is a very specific point to lose pace against other cars given that corner exit speeds are different.

Could you send me the telemetry that shows the gear changes? I'd not seen this before.
Lando - Orange, Max - White, Charles - Red:

https://i.imgur.com/HXX3Igm.jpg
This is for the same lap as the other telemetry?
Yes, fastest lap in Qualifying (Soft Tire Q2 run)

Darth-Piekus

The most important thing is that McLaren has only done a few tweeks and they are now fighting at the top of the midfield and in this race so far they've demolished Mercedes. All I can say is keep pushing

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 15:25
I don't think I'm gonna watch the Sprint Race. I was never a fan of that type. Instead I'm gonna take a noon nap. Good luck to both drivers. I hope both cars are okay and I wish both both drivers to at least keep their positions at worst of gain a place at the start.
It was actually a pretty decent sprint race.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 17:14
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:33
adrianjordan wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 16:31

What rule is that?

Anyway, the race director caused the red flag by being trigger happy, so does that mean the race director has to sit out the rest of quali? 😝
All Red Flags were warranted given the conditions and the places in which drivers were stopped
But KMag wasn't stopped, he was manoeuvring the car to get back on the track without any outside assistance.

They discussed in the Sky commentary that if you keep the engine running and do not require outside assistance, then you are not classed as having "stopped".
Agreed, it should have been a double waved yellow flag.
"In downforce we trust"

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Emag wrote:
23 Apr 2022, 23:55
On the Hard tyres they are seem pretty good in the race, but on others they seem terrible. Strangely, same as last year's car.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 02:18
The most important thing is that McLaren has only done a few tweeks and they are now fighting at the top of the midfield and in this race so far they've demolished Mercedes.
Yeah, the tweaks and understanding the car have worked pretty well for them, and operationally they seem to have things together (apart from FP2, such a shame to miss so much running). Seidl was even upbeat in the Sky interview before the Sprint.

Bit of extenuating circumstances for Merc though (they were uncharacteristically woeful this weekend). Those Alfas look fast too, even if a bit unreliable for Bottas.
Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 02:18
All I can say is keep pushing
Same :) No doubt their success so far is spurring the team on (it's certainly given me a lift).

BMMR61

With FP3 essentially a write off for McLaren the Sprint was the session to evaluate slick tyre degradation. Pretty incredible performance all considered so every chance of defending behind the Ferraris and RedBulls don’t you think. (I’m a glass half full guy….) Clearly we’re in the race for 5th with the terrible performance of the Mercs who had the benefit of running time in FP3 and will have about 5 cars in the train to reach the McLarens. They have every chance to detach from the midfield and have a lonely race dictated only by strategy and track position. Making another unexpected track work for them like Monaco in 2021.

haza
haza

Just watching the F2 race there about half way in and starting to get spots of rain in rivatsa hopefully it’s a wet race today and the wet running brings us closer to redbull and Ferrari Norris seems to like the wet (except Russia)

Darth-Piekus

djos wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 03:18
I was gonna take an afternoon nap but I couldn't sleep after all and decided to see it.

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 11:58
djos wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 03:18
I was gonna take an afternoon nap but I couldn't sleep after all and decided to see it.
Did you enjoy it?

Now that there points down to position 8 I think the sprint race is much more meaningful.
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

Not a sprint race fan at all. If we must have it I would like to see something different, like for instance unlimited DRS, or super soft tyres that will only reach the end if nursed early on.
Maybe even a Knock out if a car falls XX behind the leader, with the super soft tyres that will not last if hammered early.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Xero

Another shout out to the McLaren's ability to launch off the line, both cars were lightning yesterday. McLaren always seem to be towards the sharp end of traction.