2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sofa King
Sofa King

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Maybe it’s the heat. Their tires need it
Mansell89 wrote:
06 May 2022, 22:37
Let’s get on to it- Merc look faster and are not porpoising. Could be massive, could be track specific.

Is it upgrades related, or is the low downforce set up that stops inducing it?

Intriguing that Ferrari also seemed to reduce the porpoising too.

It’s perked my interest for the weekend for sure!

SSScoffee
SSScoffee

Why does Russel's porpoising looks worse compared to Hamilton? Lower RH?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

SSScoffee wrote:
07 May 2022, 00:29
Literally anybodies guess.

PlatinumZealot

SSScoffee wrote:
07 May 2022, 00:29
Could be. He has been able to tolerate thebporposing more than Lewis maybe.

In other news FIA is giving Lewis two more races to get rid of the welded-in nose-knob.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

mstar
mstar

Its clear Russell seems to be bouncing more than lewis I wonder if he is going all out performance?

JordanMugen

Mansell89 wrote:
Let’s get on to it- Merc look faster and are not porpoising. Could be massive, could be track specific.
It seems promising, but it's only Free Practice so the Mercedes team might still find themselves on the third row of the grid when everybody turns it up. But very promising. :)

InsaneX_Badger

JordanMugen wrote:
07 May 2022, 02:33
Mansell89 wrote:
It seems promising, but it's only Free Practice so the Mercedes team might still find themselves on the third row of the grid when everybody turns it up. But very promising. :)
What I've been thinking too. They definitely look closer but probably won't be enough to challenge if no one in the top two teams has a bad qualifying.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

mstar wrote:
07 May 2022, 02:07
Its clear Russell seems to be bouncing more than lewis I wonder if he is going all out performance?
I was at the track today, Russell was clearly running lower in the rear ride height than Hamilton, possibly the front as well but I couldn't tell.

Jolle
Jolle

Good chance they ran different programs. Russell on the ideal ride hight to see how much the bouncing decreased and Hamilton on the ride hight where it stayed stable. But how they developed their engine. They had two designs. One who had the performance and one that was light. It’s bringing those two together to get the best package

mstar
mstar

I hope they running different programs as they need the data. I only had TV pictures but it does seem russell was consistent fast in s1 compared to lewis, do we think he was running more performance set up and lower RH? or simply Russell was too fast for lewis? Anyone see on same time on circuit the bouncing comparison between them both?

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton admitting that he is still sturggling with the car but George is able to drive it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

pursue_one's

mstar wrote:
07 May 2022, 10:13
I hope they running different programs as they need the data. I only had TV pictures but it does seem russell was consistent fast in s1 compared to lewis, do we think he was running more performance set up and lower RH? or simply Russell was too fast for lewis? Anyone see on same time on circuit the bouncing comparison between them both?

Different set-ups and overly conservative tyre management explains the time gap between George and Lewis.
Lewis was too cautious for one lap. Then he gave away three tenths in the first sector.
In the long run, Lewis was only as quick as his teammate(George) after six laps because he had approached the tires too carefully.

“We're going to compare George's and I's attempts now and throw together the good of it overnight,” Lewis said.

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... un-zeiten/

Hamilton felt that he had over-conserved his tyres in the first two laps of the long-runs. By the third lap his times were pretty much the same as Russell’s and were actually quicker at the end.
On his single lap he did a bad sector one which he comfortably eclipsed on a later in-lap on a lower power mode.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... -in-miami/

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

mstar wrote:
07 May 2022, 10:13
Sky f1 showed a telemetry graphic during fp2 of George and Lewis through turn 1, and basically all of his lap time advantage was through turn 1, 0.231 i believe it showed on that corner alone

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 May 2022, 14:08
Hamilton admitting that he is still sturggling with the car but George is able to drive it.
Errr..no that's not what he said. His quotes exactly:

“I’m still struggling with car. George looked great out there, but we’re trying different things, so I guess we’ll converge.”

So yeah. they are trying different setups and right now George has the better performing setup, but it visibly has more porpoising. They're still looking for a good compromise that both drivers can use. That's the way I read that.