2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:46
runningmanz wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:44
Apparently we had the engines turned right up so need to wait for qualli I think.
Not turned right up, still detuned, just less detuned than Ferrari in the example that they showed on screen.
Ok I must have heard it wrong off another forum. Interesting, I just hope we are strong here.

billamend
billamend

Thanks for the answers. I quite like him, hope he is well.

mwillems

Seerix wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:52
mwillems wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:46
Seerix wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 18:37

Will was there last week during quali, but not for race anymore. This week I'm hearing Jose again, so I'm not sure what's up with Will. Last week noone knew why he was not present during the race.
Mclaren had explained that Will was required to leave for personal reasons and has not been able to return yet, so there's something more important for him to be able to deal with at home.
Thanks. Yeah sure, totally understandable. I was not thinking anything else.
No worries, didn't mean for the reply to sound a bit short if it did lol Just reread it and it may look that way!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Lucky wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 19:25
Good race pace on that soft. THAT to me is encouraging

Darth-Piekus

As I expected Hungaroring would be like Imola and Monaco. A GP that suits the car with corners and few straights meaning the car is very good aerodynamically. What causes that drag though.

billamend
billamend

But we’re always a little quicker in FP2 than where we end up being on Saturday. Normally, we know everyone else, especially Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes usually step it up a lot more tomorrow.
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2022/hun ... -practice/

mwillems

Charles' fastest laps had errors much like Lando's. Lando seemed to gain time from the initial pit straight and continued to do well, but lost time on the exits of turns 6,9 and 11. He then gained time up until turn 14 in which he lost a big chunk again. It's possible that this is showing Lando deploying at the start of his lap and Charles at the end, that could explain the engine differences,
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Mansell89
Mansell89

billamend wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 20:39
But we’re always a little quicker in FP2 than where we end up being on Saturday. Normally, we know everyone else, especially Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes usually step it up a lot more tomorrow.
Think that’s a classic Lando show that he knows the car is in a good place.

McLaren are pretty much solidly conservative on Fridays. I think the only big thing this year is just that their car has had some inherent issues that mean it hasn’t had the pace on a Saturday and therefore it appears like they don’t make a leap forward like some of the top guys like they did last year.

What would they have had to gain by turning up an engine mode today?? Zero.

Car just looked really nicely balanced around here on short and long runs and on all tyres, so I’m hopeful that we can go well.

The big caveat tomorrow is the wet weather.

Xero

Could possibly have a Sunday morning qually going by the weather forecast. Wet race on Sunday too. Hopefully the updates work as well in the wet, expecting them to given their nature.

Encouraging nonetheless!

Stig14
Stig14

Mansell89 wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 23:35
billamend wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 20:39
Think that’s a classic Lando show that he knows the car is in a good place.

McLaren are pretty much solidly conservative on Fridays. I think the only big thing this year is just that their car has had some inherent issues that mean it hasn’t had the pace on a Saturday and therefore it appears like they don’t make a leap forward like some of the top guys like they did last year.

What would they have had to gain by turning up an engine mode today?? Zero.

Car just looked really nicely balanced around here on short and long runs and on all tyres, so I’m hopeful that we can go well.

The big caveat tomorrow is the wet weather.
Even if they have turned the engine up a bit more than the front runners (which Lando seemed to suggest might regularly be the case on a Friday), this is a track where there's not so much time to be gained by doing so. Engine mode had less impact at the Hungaroring than somewhere like Spa. Should be a day of good opportunities today, wet or dry...

_cerber1

MrGapes

missed FP3, anything interesting?, the final classification looks messy, evolving track I assume?

Slahinki
Slahinki

MrGapes wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 14:05
missed FP3, anything interesting?, the final classification looks messy, evolving track I assume?
Started very, very wet. Had a period of rain, as the track was improving towards the end Vettel went off bringing out a red flag. Session resumed with enough time for people to get a lap or two in. Looked to be evolving fast, not a very interesting session overall though.

MrGapes

Slahinki wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 14:19
MrGapes wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 14:05
Started very, very wet. Had a period of rain, as the track was improving towards the end Vettel went off bringing out a red flag. Session resumed with enough time for people to get a lap or two in. Looked to be evolving fast, not a very interesting session overall though.
cool, thanks!