2022 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2022 Alpine F1 Team

ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 19:51
Alonso leaving is a sign that Alpine will be a very good car next year.
Alonso's luck is that every time he moves from a team the car gets better.
Alpine have a good car, the engine is new but seems reliable and powerful enough.
The enstone guys make good chassis.
Alonso may be leaving at the wrong time.
I see Apline as a better tem than Aston Martin now and a better team next year
Disagree.
When he left Minardi, they stayed the same place
When he left renault they went from being championship contender to mid field team.
When he left mclaren they stayed where they were
When he left renault they stayed where they were.
When he left ferrari they made an improvement
When he left mclaren they went to the top of the midfield.
When he left alpine they...

Your statement of the previous car being faster when he left is only true for 2 of his moves and not by a great margin either.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Alonso Fan

The Prodigy wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 20:19
ringo wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 19:51
Alonso leaving is a sign that Alpine will be a very good car next year.
Alonso's luck is that every time he moves from a team the car gets better.
Alpine have a good car, the engine is new but seems reliable and powerful enough.
The enstone guys make good chassis.
Alonso may be leaving at the wrong time.
I see Apline as a better tem than Aston Martin now and a better team next year
Engine is good and not the bottleneck but still nobody wants it on the grid. Chassis is definitely a very good foundation and I am impressed with their work. They understand the car and their updates are doing what they should do.

But the team is like a poor version of Ferrari when it comes to strategy and execution.

Ocon has not the potential to be a world champion and he is definitely not Norris/Russel/Leclerc material.

If they really believe in Piastri then they should have signed him and gave Alonso a two year + one contract. In this case Piastri would benefit from Alonso’s massive experience. You can complain about Alonso not being a team player in the past and so on. But we also have to admit that he was a big team player since he joined Alpine.

Fernando was even to nice in my opinion with all the bullshit that the team has fabricated on track. On top of that Ocons stupid behavior. The only reason Ocons driving has not resulted in crash’s (like Perez for example) is because of Alonso’s magical car control.
Have to agree with this. Adding to your points regarding strategy, last year they did some amazing things with teamwork, letting each other past and then back again if it didn't work out. Alonso even slowed down significantly on the last lap in Brazil to let ocon past. Their work in hungary and Qatar etc.

This year its the complete opposite. If one driver is behind and clearly faster they won't do anything, lose that driver so much race time. The team is being run differently and I don't really like it how it is. The vibe is strange. Add to that the questionable strategy calls and car failures then this year is kinda less satisfying than last year in some ways. The only thing that's there this year and wasn't last year consistently is the hope of a podium or freak win if others retire
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 05:02
Name the last rookie that didn't struggle in his first year besides Hamilton.
Easy, George Russell & Charles Leclerc... So the last one is Russell who had a higher average finishing position than Kubica while Leclerc also outscored teammate Ericsson as well as having a higher average finishing position. :)

There are plenty of other examples of rookies which did not struggle after Hamilton too... Vettel outscored fellow rookie teammate Bourdais, Ricciardo had a slightly higher average finishing position than Liuzzi, Verstappen outscored fellow rookie teammate Sainz, Gasly outscored fellow rookie teammate Hartley. It goes on and on really!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 02 Aug 2022, 12:34, edited 2 times in total.

basti313
basti313

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 05:13
JordanMugen wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 02:06
The Prodigy wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 20:19
If they really believe in Piastri then they should have signed him
Who's to say they are not going to do that? :D

The rumours of Piastri to McLaren (and Ricciardo to Alpine) seem unlikely, so the most likely outcomes seem like Piastri to Alpine and Sargeant to Williams.

Alonsismo wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 15:57
i had a lot of hope in december 2020.
but sinve de arrival of Otmar and the leaving of Prost... ive been losing all hope.
The important technical people like Pat Fry are still there however, even if Prost, Alonso & Abiteboul are not, and the developments are trucking along nicely, so it is not a disaster for Alpine by any means. :)
This is a bit of revisionism considering them throwing away 3 years of the previous regs cycle just for this season.
They had a budget of about half the budget of the top teams. Even if they worked 75% on the new car over years (which is a high number, they also had to work on the old cars), it is less than the budget the big ones put into the new regs. Also the engine took a lot of money, not sure how this adds into the budgets here, but if...they had the biggest reconstruction after Ferrari.
It is no miracle that they are not competitive. They get their chance in 2-3 years.
Don`t russel the hamster!

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I think Alpine plan would be that they plan to signing him for a year and in 2024 he may drive for Alpine WEC series however I think Alonso wanted a long term till next rule change in 2026.

This make perfect sense for Alonso to sign AM for multi year deal. They need him to build the car and Alonso want to stay in F1 to look for other opportunities if it comes up with top team.

It make sense for me that Alonso took a right decision to stay F1 for long time.

I also believe that, Vettel may decided to retire this year at the start of the year itself. AM already know about it and they may had a talk with Alonso and all set for summer break announcement.

It is reminding of me of when RB announced that Vettel will drive for Ferrari in 2015. at that time, Alonso still discussion with Ferrari but once he heard the news he left for Mclaren.

It may be that, AM not happy with Vettel not plan to renewal his contract however they already signed Alonso at the start of the year. As Vettel does not have any option so he is retired from F1.

AM has money and they can even buy Newly from RB as Proche and Audi group already purchased 50% stake in RB and Newly can move to AM next year as well along with Alonso.

Anything possible in F1

diffuser

JordanMugen wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 12:24
diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 05:02
Name the last rookie that didn't struggle in his first year besides Hamilton.
Easy, George Russell & Charles Leclerc... So the last one is Russell who had a higher average finishing position than Kubica while Leclerc also outscored teammate Ericsson as well as having a higher average finishing position. :)

There are plenty of other examples of rookies which did not struggle after Hamilton too... Vettel outscored fellow rookie teammate Bourdais, Ricciardo had a slightly higher average finishing position than Liuzzi, Verstappen outscored fellow rookie teammate Sainz, Gasly outscored fellow rookie teammate Hartley. It goes on and on really!
The important part about all the drivers you mentioned was the other driver, the comparison. It took Max 3 tries to beat Ricciardo at RBR after beating sainz (that was a really bad reliability year for Sainz).

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Alonso with Webber might have pulled some sort of double whammy on Alpine with his move

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It seems more likely Ric going to land on Alpine.

max_speed
max_speed

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/122462/a ... -seat.html

Looks like It all went downhill for Alpine. They tried to outsmart will fox alonso and got what they deserved.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

What a --- show from Alpine. Or to be more precise: What a --- show from Laurent Rossi. He thinks he is the big Manager and can play games with Alonso who understands F1 politics more than anyone else and has a net worth of 260 Million.

Enstone
Enstone

So what are the options assuming Piastri already at McLaren !

Ricciardo ?
Gasly ?
Hulkeeeeenberg ?

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

Enstone wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 15:20
So what are the options assuming Piastri already at McLaren !

Ricciardo ?
Gasly ?
Hulkeeeeenberg ?
Piastri should go to McLaren if he gets the opportunity. Alpine management is a joke.

Ricciardo to Alpine. I am sure he would sign a 1+1 contract there…

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 14:08

Looks like It all went downhill for Alpine. They tried to outsmart will fox alonso and got what they deserved.
Think he should have told them that he had an offer from AMR. That he was gonna take it if they don't match it. I don't think they knew that was a risk of him leaving. Another Alonso move. Did he out fox himself? Only time will tell.

max_speed
max_speed

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 15:30
max_speed wrote:

Think he should have told them that he had an offer from AMR. That he was gonna take it if they don't match it. I don't think they knew that was a risk of him leaving. Another Alonso move. Did he out fox himself? Only time will tell.
Talented and competent people like Alonso have Ego and its natural. ALPINE did not show enough respect to Alonso , which he deserved and were trying to short sell him. I guess Alpine overestimated their bargaining power , specially Rossi. I think Alonso did the right thing choosing respect and belief in his abilities. He does not need money and i guess title chances are slim be it Alpine or Aston but Aston has money to invest and throw while Alpine as Horner said want to fly first class but can pay economy fares only.

NAPI10
NAPI10

diffuser wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 15:30
max_speed wrote:

It's a low-risk gamble for Alonso. He might be talking abt 3rd WC but he knows the reality. He is aiming few sparks of glory before closing his illustrious career which is aligned with AM's goal for the next 2 years.