2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Motörhead
Motörhead

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 03:10
Lucky wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 03:06
shotzski wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 03:03
I don't know if this is the correct thread but still involves Mclaren.

Is it possible, Zak would get Oscar and loan him to other team for 2023 racing seat. Then take him back in the Mclaren fold for 2024? That is they are not willing to buy-out Daniel's contract.
Ric will leave of his own accord.
I know that is has been “reported” that Daniel is in full control of his contract… But when Zak said in Monaco that there were mechanisms in his contract to terminate the relationship, I’m sure that McLaren has a way to terminate it early… The fact that McLaren (Zak, Seidl) hasn’t come out to deny the rumors about Daniel’s control over his contract is because they just don’t want to add fuel to the fire after the storm that was created with the initial comment.

They don’t care if everyone thinks that they have no say in the situation, it’s not like with Alpine where they have to have the last word or show how much in control they are
Last edited by Motörhead on 03 Aug 2022, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 06:16
SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 06:02

That would be an interesting development (Piastri doing practice sessions with McLaren)… But knowing Alpine, would they let him? Would the current reserve driver role allow him to do it?

If there is a deal with McLaren, I’m afraid you are right and Alpine kind of played Cupid between Piastri and McLaren… But let’s wait for an announcement between McLaren and Piastri before we speculate on potential Free Practice runs :)
If he's already contracted as their reserve driver, how could they prevent him from doing an FP1 session?
Apparently, it's stipulated in their agreement.

2/2: Alpine continued at the time: "Oscar will remain fully contracted to Alpine, and we will retain first option on his services." Was the chat about that role, and presumably seat fit, the first opportunity for PIA to get to know @McLarenF1 and get a foot in the door?
Was written by Adam Cooper today, but may not take into consideration the expiry of Alpine's option on Piastri (I mean the thing that expired on 31/7).

Motörhead
Motörhead

Motörhead wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 09:45
SmallSoldier wrote:
Lucky wrote:

I know that is has been “reported” that Daniel is in full control of his contract… But when Zak said in Monaco that there were mechanisms in his contract to terminate the relationship, I’m sure that McLaren has a way to terminate it early… The fact that McLaren (Zak, Seidl) hasn’t come out to deny the rumors about Daniel’s control over his contract is because they just don’t want to add fuel to the fire after the storm that was created with the initial comment.

They don’t care if everyone thinks that they have no say in the situation, it’s not like with Alpine where they have to have the last word or show how much in control they are
Let’s face it, McLaren would be foolish for them not to have a mechanism in place for any of their drivers if they were not performing well. Any team for that matter.

The summer break is the perfect cut off for any contract. Half the season gone, you need to perform to this level, or ‘X’ number of points for example. It’s only sensible for both parties, driver and team to have this in the small print of their contracts.

The way this has shaped out, everyone wins.

Alonso has a mega 2-3 year contract at 41 years of age.

McLaren have undoubtedly the most exciting talent to nurture on a long contract.

Danny can get a favourable medium to long term contract with Alpine, whereas, if he continued the season on current form, he might even be looking at retirement as no seats would be available, or teams would be wary of taking him on.

I like Danny. Probably the most down to earth driver on the grid. Talking with him gives you the impression that he would be a good mate.
But this is F1. It’s your job to perform to your highest level and bring the points home.

It’s not happening, so a chance for a new start would be welcome for him, regrets, yes, I’m sure from both parties involved, as to what could have been.

Zak is probably giving him some time to sort out his contract and probably actively helping him and then it will be announced.

Everyone could come out of this as winners.

As for behind the scenes shenanigans. We have no idea what goes on, and speculate we have. Whether it’s morally right concerning all parties. But this is a business. Alpine have been naive if they have failed to extend contacts before their deadlines.

Business’s have targets, which if ultimately they don’t hit, things MUST change.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I think it says a lot about Alpine that both Alonso and Piastri do not want to race there. Maybe there are rumblings about the commitments to the team?

I'm failing to understand how Zak plans to keep all those drivers happy. In IndyCar he has three candidates for F1 spot (O'Ward, Herta and Palou). If he brings Piastri into the fold there are no spots available for IndyCar guys. Only thing that makes sense to me is that McLaren plans a partnership with a team, either a new team like Andretti or maybe partnership with one of the existing teams (Alfa Romeo?)

Maybe it is all connected to potential new engine manufacturer. I feel that we are missing a piece of the puzzle. There is just no need to have this many candidates for one seat (I know about FE but that is not a seat people are crazy about) but if you bring in a new team (junior or a partner) then it starts to make sense.
Last edited by FittingMechanics on 03 Aug 2022, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.

Motörhead
Motörhead

Motörhead wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 09:45
SmallSoldier wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Big Tea

FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 10:13
I think it says a lot about Alpine that both Alonso and Piastri do not want to race there. Maybe there are rumblings about the commitments to the team?

I'm failing to understand how Zak plans to keep all those drivers happy. In IndyCar he has three candidates for F1 spot (O'Ward, Herta and Palou). If he brings Piastri into the fold there are no spots available for IndyCar guys. Only thing that makes sense to me is that McLaren plans a partnership with a team, either a new team like Andretti or maybe partnership with one of the existing teams (Alfa Romeo?)

Maybe it is all connected to potential new engine manufacturer. I feel that we are missing a piece of the puzzle. There is just no need to have this many candidates for one seat (I know about FE but that is not a seat people are crazy about) but if you bring in a new team (junior or a partner) then it starts to make sense.
Could there be a connection here? It would not be the first time Renault head office have decided to leave F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mogster

Even if Alpine do leave there will be a bun fight to buy the Enstone set up. There may be disruption but the team will still exist.

A young driver refusing an F1 drive from any team seems strange. To refuse a drive from a mid grid team seems totally crazy. I really hope Piastri has decent advice and good reasons for this course of action. Better reasons than thinking his stock is high enough he can command a better drive. After all this is a kid that has barely driven an F1 car, having an average first year after this debacle would make the situation look totally absurd…

djos

Considering they’ve been stringing Oscar on for a good 18 months, they have no one but themselves to blame for losing him!
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:01
It appears Alonso and Piastri have played Alpine. On Sunday Alpine said they were close to a new contract with Alonso. On Monday Alonso drops the bomb to be signing with Aston Martin. Coincidentally, just a day after the deadline of Alpine needing to have confirmed an F1 seat for Piastri for 2023. This makes him a free man and he signs with McLaren. If true, this would be very foul play from both of them, to be collaborating against their team. Especially since Alpine invested so much in Piastri as their talent for the future.

Do we really need a guy like this in our team? Does McLaren want a guy like this to represent the McLaren brand? The next team he will **** over is McLaren. You can bet on it. I am not happy with Ricciardo’s performances either, but at least he has decency.

If it were up to me, I would not want such a fraud of a driver in my team, even if he were to be the next Hamilton or Verstappen.

F1 is a dog eat dog world... It's been that way forever...

CIZUK
CIZUK

Szafnauer: No issue in bringing Ricciardo back to Alpine F1 team
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/szaf ... /10348009/
Does that mean they see it as inevitable?

djos

CIZUK wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 11:52
Szafnauer: No issue in bringing Ricciardo back to Alpine F1 team
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/szaf ... /10348009/
Does that mean they see it as inevitable?
Sounds like it.
"In downforce we trust"

JordanMugen

McL-H wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 22:43
But what does it say about the McLaren core values and principles if this is what they condone? How will this affect their brand?
I dunno, but McLaren did this twice with two different drivers in two different series (Palou & Piastri). It's the McLaren way^ I suppose. :)

^ The McLaren way for the Zak Brown version of McLaren, the Bruce McLaren version, Teddy Mayer version and Ron Dennis version were "ever such a long time ago" as James May would say.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Mogster wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 11:28
Even if Alpine do leave there will be a bun fight to buy the Enstone set up. There may be disruption but the team will still exist.

A young driver refusing an F1 drive from any team seems strange. To refuse a drive from a mid grid team seems totally crazy. I really hope Piastri has decent advice and good reasons for this course of action. Better reasons than thinking his stock is high enough he can command a better drive. After all this is a kid that has barely driven an F1 car, having an average first year after this debacle would make the situation look totally absurd…
But if he signed a deal already with McLaren or Alpha Tauri it is not strange at all.

JordanMugen

Balalu wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 23:41
Let me add some spice to this.

Alex Palou: “I have recently learned from the media that this afternoon, without my approval, Chip Ganassi Racing issued a press release announcing that I would be driving with CGR in 2023. Even more surprising was that CGR’s release included a “quote” which did not come from me."

Oscar Piasti: "I understand that, without my agreement, Alpine F1 have put out a press release late this afternoon that I am driving for them next year. This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not be driving for Alpine next year."

Seems like a synonym. Zak, is that you? 🫡
It does seem that both messages were written by the McLaren legal department. :)

The idea Piastri acted in bad faith doesn't make sense. Alpine were abundantly welcome to confirm Piastri as their 2023 driver well before contract expiry, they could have put out the very same message they did ("Ocon and Piastri are our 2023 drivers, we are pleased to promote Piastri to BWT Apline F1 Team") back in April, May, June or July, yet they did not do so.

It seems Piastri was instead the first choice or McLaren as opposed to the second choice of Alpine. With Piastri being a McLaren reserve driver already (at Alpine's insistence no less!) and visiting the McLaren factory to drive the simulator, it is not hard to see how a deal (that would, perhaps, automatically come into effect if the Alpine contract expired) could be done.

djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 00:25
Oscar would be mad to take the McLaren seat after seeing what a weird car it is to drive - he's far better off getting to grips with F1 in a "normal" handling F1 car.
He already drove the simulator version and was presumably happy enough with it (and McLaren likewise with Piastri's virtual performance).

djos

JordanMugen wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 12:30
djos wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 00:25
Oscar would be mad to take the McLaren seat after seeing what a weird car it is to drive - he's far better off getting to grips with F1 in a "normal" handling F1 car.
He already drove the simulator version and was presumably happy enough with it (and McLaren likewise with Piastri's virtual performance).
Good point - he's young enough that he can prolly ignore how the car feels and drive to the data like Lando.
"In downforce we trust"