2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

The team know exactly what Lando was doing and I'm sure understood plenty of how the car fed back to Lando, I also expect that the Team coached Dan based on what they know from Landos feedback and from the telemetry of both drivers. Armed with all of this and plenty of time to go with it, Daniel was not able to master the car.

I think Lando is a bit blunt with his words and could learn how to be a bit more diplomatic but that isn't to say that he is wrong. There's one guy he absolutely has to beat and his form and ability is judged in a sizeable part based on his performance against his teammates, so he's not going to go over to his side of the garage and tune Dans car for him. Would Usyk stroll mid fight up to Anthony Joshua and just point to where his chin is because he feels sorry for him?

They may be on the same team but the reality is that they fight each other for top dog unless the team pulls hard on the leash.

Sadly with these two that was rarely required.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JPower
JPower

Vasco wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 09:26
Would it be a bad thing for us to go for Mick Schumacher? I think he has enough experience now to at least be more consistent and he has shown glimpses of his raw speed - Or is Piastri that much better?
Outside of Zhou and Latifi, Mick might be the worst qualifier on the grid.

His race pace seems OK but his one lap pace is severely limiting him at this level. He’s further off KMag than DR is to Lando. Lando would run circles around him.

Piastri looks a like a star ie Leclerc/Russell/Norris level. That’s worth betting the house on.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Do we know much about the PU changes- is Lando taking on “upgraded” Merc ERS?

Have Merc put their final update out?

Is Danny having it?

Apologies missed all coverage today

Big Tea

Mansell89 wrote:
26 Aug 2022, 23:50

Is Danny having it?

How does this work exactly? If Merc take the 'new' unit today, is it then frozen for everyone, or can Mclaren take one in a months time with differences which can not be retrofitted to the Merc team cars?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:19
Mansell89 wrote:

Is Danny having it?

How does this work exactly? If Merc take the 'new' unit today, is it then frozen for everyone, or can Mclaren take one in a months time with differences which can not be retrofitted to the Merc team cars?
The engine is available at any time to anyone if Merc just presented it for homologation.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Team practicing the tow for daniel

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 12:39
Big Tea wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 11:19
Mansell89 wrote:

Is Danny having it?

The engine is available at any time to anyone if Merc just presented it for homologation.
But can they bring out a different 'issue' to only supply to tams that have not taken that engine?
I would assume not.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Emag
Emag

Seems like we have a pretty good car around here in the hands of Lando.

Shame we'll probably only have Daniel fighting for any valuable points.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Szafnauer On Piastri

“I rarely like to talk about details of driver contracts but two things I can say: one, there was no ‘by the 31st of July you have to do some things or therefore you can get on’ – there’s none of that. That 31st of July deadline that I read all the time is fictitious, it’s not in the contract that he signed.

“And the term of the contract, it is through 2024 with an option at the end of ’23. So I’ll just say those things, but there’s a lot more in there. Like I said, I don’t really like to talk about specifics,” explained the Alpine boss.

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rxNAl.html

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

the EDGE wrote:
27 Aug 2022, 13:59
Szafnauer On Piastri

“I rarely like to talk about details of driver contracts but two things I can say: one, there was no ‘by the 31st of July you have to do some things or therefore you can get on’ – there’s none of that. That 31st of July deadline that I read all the time is fictitious, it’s not in the contract that he signed.

“And the term of the contract, it is through 2024 with an option at the end of ’23. So I’ll just say those things, but there’s a lot more in there. Like I said, I don’t really like to talk about specifics,” explained the Alpine boss.

https://amp.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... rxNAl.html
I believe Otmar as far as Oscar can throw him. All these stories coming out in bits.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

MrGapes

So Daniel is running a lot more downforce than Lando as expected, Lando's aim should be to get into q3 and give Daniel a tow.

Darth-Piekus

Not even today despite the Mega tow. I wish Daniel good luck in his new team and I hope he finds his old self.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 27 Aug 2022, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.

MrGapes

did he make a mistake?? he got a mega tow

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Ouch. Even with a tow up Kemmel straight RIC (brand new set) is slower than NOR (on a used set). I love Daniel but this partnership hasn’t worked and he’s being destroyed by NOR. Looks like there is extremely decent pace in the car so looking forward to tomorrow!

Darth-Piekus

Question. Did we get the final upgraded engine by Mercedes? Also any new aero updates?