2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I notice Lewis hides his hand with a fast teammate. George, Nico... Bottas was quick too, quicker than George on his day, but inconsistent so Lewis wasn't worrying too much about hiding his full pace.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Lewis was on pace to match Sainz's time or finish within 0.1s of that time at the very worst. Not bad. I'm confident he will be faster than the Ferraris in the race. Not sure if anyone will be able to touch Max, it took an incredible lap by Leclerc to come this close imo.
It's obvious the Mercedes's number 1 issue is drag. On tracks where aero efficiency is less important they are very close to the front. I think they'll be very good in Singapore, and likely surprise in Mexico too, but Monza is going to be non competitive.

Hammerfist wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 16:33
Lewis was on pace to match Sainz's time or finish within 0.1s of that time at the very worst. Not bad. I'm confident he will be faster than the Ferraris in the race. Not sure if anyone will be able to touch Max, it took an incredible lap by Leclerc to come this close imo.
It's obvious the Mercedes's number 1 issue is drag. On tracks where aero efficiency is less important they are very close to the front. I think they'll be very good in Singapore, and likely surprise in Mexico too, but Monza is going to be non competitive.
FYI - Wolff claims HAM was a tenth up on the fastest before yellows.

Also Singapore is a street track, Mercs have only excelled this season on the dedicated raceways.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

erudite450
erudite450

Hamilton have been extremely unlucky most times this season. Anytime the car is competitive, something throws a spanner in the works for him. Let's hope he clears Sainz off the line tomorrow.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 16:47

Also Singapore is a street track, Mercs have only excelled this season on the dedicated raceways.
I dont brlieve him. Ham was down to sainz in the first 2 sectors. No way he would be one tenth ahead of max before yellows when the yellows were in s3.

The reason why i like them in singapore is the lack of straights and the fact theyll be running high downforce package. Dont compare merc now to when they ran in monaco or baku. They are much more sorted now.

kenshi_blind

03 Sep 2022, 17:04

I dont brlieve him. Ham was down to sainz in the first 2 sectors. No way he would be one tenth ahead of max before yellows when the yellows were in s3.

The reason why i like them in singapore is the lack of straights and the fact theyll be running high downforce package. Dont compare merc now to when they ran in monaco or baku. They are much more sorted now.
Lewis was 0.058 off Max time by the end of sector 2 , what telemetry are you looking at to say he was behind Carlos's time ? And I'm not even saying Lewis would have been on pole here ..

organic

kenshi_blind wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 17:16

Lewis was 0.058 off Max time by the end of sector 2 , what telemetry are you looking at to say he was behind Carlos's time ? And I'm not even saying Lewis would have been on pole here ..
Toto either misread data or is lying to save face in the media.

Hamilton was +0.140s to Verstappen after S2:

Whilst Russell was only matching Perez by end of s2, so he wasn't in the fight for pole

Idk why he says things like this when we have access to the data

organic wrote: ↑
03 Sep 2022, 17:24

https://i.imgur.com/tTaxJ2a.png

Whilst Russell was only matching Perez by end of s2, so he wasn't in the fight for pole
That snapshot is late. RUS had long passed, TSU had just passed, HAM was about to pass PER; it’s not clear how early HAM reacted to the yellows.

organic

03 Sep 2022, 17:30

That snapshot is late. RUS had long passed, TSU had just passed, HAM was about to pass PER; it’s not clear how early HAM reacted to the yellows.
Well Hamilton set a purple minisector in s3, so isn't it safe to say that s1 and s2 times are unaffected by the yellow? Don't think he'd set a purple sector under yellow flag conditions

03 Sep 2022, 17:46

Well Hamilton set a purple minisector in s3, so isn't it safe to say that s1 and s2 times are unaffected by the yellow? Don't think he'd set a purple sector under yellow flag conditions
Someone posted a mini-sector map in the race thread & I don’t see HAMs purple on it? Confused

organic

03 Sep 2022, 17:54

Someone posted a mini-sector map in the race thread & I don’t see HAMs purple on it? Confused
Times set under double yellow were deleted, so maybe that's why it's not included:

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... Yellow.pdf

03 Sep 2022, 18:02

Times set under double yellow were deleted, so maybe that's why it's not included:

Makes sense πŸ‘πŸΌ

It seems Dialtone has a HAM v VER comp on reddit which indicates HAM was ahead through 12. He was as Wolff indicated up 0.134 at the end of S2.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ame=iossmf

organic

03 Sep 2022, 18:18

Makes sense πŸ‘πŸΌ

It seems Dialtone has a HAM v VER comp on reddit which indicates HAM was ahead through 12. He was as Wolff indicated up 0.134 at the end of S2.

Hamilton was down 0.134s, not up..

Here is the telemetry of the Hamilton aborted lap vs max (courtesy of dialtone):

Ham loses 0.023s in s1 and 0.111s in s2 totalling 0.134s slower than Verstappen through S1/S2. The telemetry just confirms what live timing already said.

kenshi_blind

03 Sep 2022, 18:23
03 Sep 2022, 18:18

Makes sense πŸ‘πŸΌ

Hamilton was down 0.134s, not up..

Here is the telemetry of the Hamilton aborted lap vs max (courtesy of dialtone):

https://i.imgur.com/fQRqcw3.jpg

Ham loses 0.023s in s1 and 0.111s in s2 totalling 0.134s slower than Verstappen through S1/S2. The telemetry just confirms what live timing already said.

Lewis was ahead at T12 ...read dialtone thread and you'll see that he acknowledges that after the user @brush85 pointed that out
Last edited by kenshi_blind on 03 Sep 2022, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Clearly I misinterpreted the data, thank you for pointing that out.

Still, looking at the data comparisons of max against other laps, you can see Verstappen braking significantly earlier for the turn where lewis makes up lots of time on him, and he gains it all back on the exit of the final corner. Pretty obvious that he's compromising his line for later gain. It's like missing the corner braking point and then taking the delta at the apex when you aren't going to make the corner. Of course you can be ahead at one particular moment but it's when the whole picture is there that reasonable conclusions can be drawn. Look at the final turn comparison for ver vs ham on his other lap and the same delta change is there. Max gives up time at T11/T12 and takes it back immediately