2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Pretty good qually results for the team today. Daniel was within 100ths of Lando for most of his final runs which was a pleasant surprise.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Both guys on the second row is fantastic. A real shame our DRS is crap though as Lando said at Spa, wonder if they have been able to improve this at all. Hope we don't get mugged on the straight, the car was a rocket in a straight line last year so going to need some real wide cars and robust defence today it seems.

Last edited by runningmanz on 11 Sep 2022, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.

Stig14
Stig14

Given the size of the wings everyone runs at Monza, DRS is less powerful for all teams. Hopefully this mitigates some of the DRS deficiency for McLaren (perhaps this is also a reason quali was better than expected before the weekend). Thanks for posting the speeds though- interesting to see how we look there or there abouts with the rest of the grid.

On a side note, pleased with Daniel being able to put a decent lap together in Q2 and get closer to Lando. Shame his Q3 run didn't come together but it seems like we got lucky with Fernando not being able to set a legitimate time so no harm done. Given the grid positions of the boys, I will be very stressed in about 7 hours time!

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

From memory, Dan's final S1 in Q3 was 4 tenths off his best, so that accounts for the whole gap to Lando (assuming he could keep the pace up to previous efforts), so I assume he made a mistake there. Otherwise, good to see him competitive.

Nice to see a bit of daylight between the Alpines and the McLarens in quali. Race pace though?

Holy hell those top times in the speed trap though! Even though it doesn't translate into the final lap time for Williams.

djos

Mostlyeels wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 08:17
From memory, Dan's final S1 in Q3 was 4 tenths off his best, so that accounts for the whole gap to Lando (assuming he could keep the pace up to previous efforts), so I assume he made a mistake there. Otherwise, good to see him competitive.

Nice to see a bit of daylight between the Alpines and the McLarens in quali. Race pace though?

Holy hell those top times in the speed trap though! Even though it doesn't translate into the final lap time for Williams.
I think Lando got the gap to Sainz perfect and so got a great tow. Daniel appeared to have a larger gap to Charles that may not have been optimal for a good tow.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

Stig14 wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 07:59
Given the size of the wings everyone runs at Monza, DRS is less powerful for all teams. Hopefully this mitigates some of the DRS deficiency for McLaren (perhaps this is also a reason quali was better than expected before the weekend). Thanks for posting the speeds though- interesting to see how we look there or there abouts with the rest of the grid.

On a side note, pleased with Daniel being able to put a decent lap together in Q2 and get closer to Lando. Shame his Q3 run didn't come together but it seems like we got lucky with Fernando not being able to set a legitimate time so no harm done. Given the grid positions of the boys, I will be very stressed in about 7 hours time!
No worries, man those top speeds last year were amazing. Yeah Dan looked close to Lando in qualli just didn't quite get his best in Q3 but great starting position regardless. Finally a race to get excited about *hopefully*!

Big Tea

Right guys, spread out and dont let anyone pass and we get good points here :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djos

Big Tea wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 12:16
Right guys, spread out and dont let anyone pass and we get good points here :mrgreen:
Imo they should go all in and run their PU’s at max power and just accept that they won’t get 5 races from them. It’d be worth it for another 1-2.
"In downforce we trust"

Xero

Posted this in the race thread, but seeing as it was discussed here too I'll add it. This gives a clear description of how penalties are applied.

McL-H
McL-H

It would be great if we could get a podium out of it today!

Emag
Emag

McL-H wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 13:00
I would say it's unlikely without weird stuff happening, but let's hope they get lucky for once.

proteus

Emag wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 13:10
McL-H wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 13:00
I would say it's unlikely without weird stuff happening, but let's hope they get lucky for once.
Im afraid that even getting points will be an achievement. I have a feeling them both will get eaten alive on the straights.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

MrGapes

Today the guys should focus on one job, keeping their direct competitors behind.. can't afford to sacrifice the rears which are already sensitive on the McLaren... as much as I want a podium these top guys are way quicker, last year on the last sector and straights the MCL35 was class... this year their is no such thing... just need to drive their race.

MrGapes

I expect both drivers start Med

Darth-Piekus

All I can say is good luck and let's enjoy the race as I don't think it matters anymore if we finish 4th or 5th. Of course lady luck owes a good race to Mclaren. Let's see if God decides to choose Mclaren today to play on the Playstation and we get another 1-2 :lol: .