2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

I could never see a patent getting approved for that. Would only just take a slightly different shape of the handles or just a button somewhere else and it would be perfectly allowable.

Thats like trying to patent the road wheel....never ever happen, and you would be silly to try.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 21:38
Zynerji wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 20:31
PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 19:26

He created the wheel with the bottom cut off.
We had a thead on his and Schumachers innovations actually.

"Lewis Hamilton technical level" i believe it was called.

No wheel exosted like that before.

Fhe aeroplane yolk with the bowtie design is not the same. Different purposes.
I was saying it was silly to say he should have "copywrited" the design in F1. I mean, that like trying to copywrite cut-off jeans as "shorts"!🤣

Changing the layout of common buttons isn't super impressive in and of itself. I'm sure many drivers have made modifications for preference over the years. 🙄 and look really closely. It's like a <2% difference between the wheel layouts.
It's not the button layout he's talking about but the rim with the bottom of the handles opened.

Of course it could be pattented as new type of steering wheel.
So, he should be praised for just taking a hacksaw to a current design?🤔

Like I said. Cutting the legs off of a pair of denim jeans does not make you a shorts designer.🤣

At best, he helped improve an existing design that already had the engineering done for him.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 00:34

Like I said. Cutting the legs off of a pair of denim jeans does not make you a shorts designer.🤣

At best, he helped improve an existing design that already had the engineering done for him.
It does believe it or not.

The bikini. The tennis shirt. Hipster jeans and many more.

And ypu are downplaying the importance of it. It not jusy cutting off the ends. It gives more space for the hand to slide and also a quicker release in tight turns.

I'm bot aure you appreciate the technical importance of this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 00:44
Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 00:34

It does believe it or not.

The bikini. The tennis shirt. Hipster jeans and many more.

And ypu are downplaying the importance of it. It not jusy cutting off the ends. It gives more space for the hand to slide and also a quicker release in tight turns.

I'm bot aure you appreciate the technical importance of this.
🙄

I'm sure the weight savings are helpful, but I wouldn't call this anything but an improvement of an existing design. It certainly isn't an invention. Not like J dampers, decoupled suspensions and TJI.

And cutting up an existing product doesn't make you a designer, just a hacker.

dans79

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 21:53
I could never see a patent getting approved for that. Would only just take a slightly different shape of the handles or just a button somewhere else and it would be perfectly allowable.

Thats like trying to patent the road wheel....never ever happen, and you would be silly to try.
You've not worked with patents before have you? People have gotten patents for all kinds or ridiculousness thanks to nothing more than clever wording!
201 105 104 9 9 7

Senna108
Senna108

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 19:26
Zynerji wrote:
19 Oct 2022, 04:58
Henri wrote:
18 Oct 2022, 11:23

Lewis should have copyrighted his designs
Funny! Silly, but funny!
He created the wheel with the bottom cut off.
We had a thead on his and Schumachers innovations actually.

"Lewis Hamilton technical level" i believe it was called.

No wheel exosted like that before.

Fhe aeroplane yolk with the bowtie design is not the same. Different purposes.

Am I to understand that Lewis came up with this:
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-gard ... 95679.html

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Out of curiosity, what's so special about this steering wheel shape? I can see that it's different, but isn't it just a preference? Some teams currently don't use that shape. RB don't. Williams don't. AM don't.

I can understand if it's something like DAS, an f-duct, EBD, but a steering wheel that's not really adding any performance other than just what one driver prefers to hold between his hands, what's the big deal? Are the other cars slower because they don't have it? Drivers choose their steering wheel configuration all the time. Do we have to patent button configurations too? :shock:

With all respect to Lewis, you should patent things which have value, that others cannot do without. This steering wheel shape isn't such a thing. If F1 designers don't patent every last innovation that actually makes a car faster, then what is the value of patenting that steering wheel shape? I don't get it :wtf:
Last edited by AR3-GP on 20 Oct 2022, 02:16, edited 3 times in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

PlatinumZealot

Zynerji wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 00:47

🙄

I'm sure the weight savings are helpful, but I wouldn't call this anything but an improvement of an existing design. It certainly isn't an invention. Not like J dampers, decoupled suspensions and TJI.

To the layman it's cutting up an existing product. It was a improvement of an existing product by using newly designed parts. So it's a new product. An innovation that has been widely copied.

Don't hate. Appreciate! 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 02:08
Zynerji wrote:

🙄

To the layman it's cutting up an existing product. It was a improvement of an existing product by using newly designed parts. So it's a new product. An innovation that has been widely copied.

You are missing your calling by not being in politics.🤣

I would totally hire you for my personal PR. I would be walking on water in the minds of millions!

Senna108
Senna108

PlatinumZealot wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 02:08
Zynerji wrote:

🙄

It’s not even a new product. It’s just a design that he saw elsewhere and used in F1. Kudos to him for getting his way, but no credit is due, it’s kind of laughable that he is seeking credit for it. It’s not a good look.

mendis
mendis

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 02:07
Out of curiosity, what's so special about this steering wheel shape? I can see that it's different, but isn't it just a preference? Some teams currently don't use that shape. RB don't. Williams don't. AM don't.

I can understand if it's something like DAS, an f-duct, EBD, but a steering wheel that's not really adding any performance other than just what one driver prefers to hold between his hands, what's the big deal? Are the other cars slower because they don't have it? Drivers choose their steering wheel configuration all the time. Do we have to patent button configurations too? :shock:

With all respect to Lewis, you should patent things which have value, that others cannot do without. This steering wheel shape isn't such a thing. If F1 designers don't patent every last innovation that actually makes a car faster, then what is the value of patenting that steering wheel shape? I don't get it :wtf:
A driver is primarily concerned about ergonomics as it's critical to execute certain functions in a consistent manner over and over again through a lap and for a race distance. So someone like Lewis would have gone through some challenge that might have made him ask his engineers to help hold the steering better and as a result, they would have created this change at the bottom of the steering. Some drivers might not be troubled similarly and they continue with the previous design. That says it's not an innovation that is giving some performance benefits in general and not a worthy idea to be patented.

A while ago, Lewis quoted that he could gain performance just by changing his seat by a couple of mm in angle of seating. Remember how he holds the steering with his left hand at the race start. That sounds like he is sensitive to ergonomics. I feel similarly in things I do. I have some custom setup in my car seat to allow better comfort to help drive long distance on a daily basis and avoid stress on my ankle, knee and lower thigh muscles (not so much now due to WFA).

My idea is also patentable! You can certainly patent any crap for so long as you cleverly define your idea as indigenous.

Zynerji

mendis wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 04:31
AR3-GP wrote:

A driver is primarily concerned about ergonomics as it's critical to execute certain functions in a consistent manner over and over again through a lap and for a race distance. So someone like Lewis would have gone through some challenge that might have made him ask his engineers to help hold the steering better and as a result, they would have created this change at the bottom of the steering. Some drivers might not be troubled similarly and they continue with the previous design. That says it's not an innovation that is giving some performance benefits in general and not a worthy idea to be patented.

A while ago, Lewis quoted that he could gain performance just by changing his seat by a couple of mm in angle of seating. Remember how he holds the steering with his left hand at the race start. That sounds like he is sensitive to ergonomics. I feel similarly in things I do. I have some custom setup in my car seat to allow better comfort to help drive long distance on a daily basis and avoid stress on my ankle, knee and lower thigh muscles (not so much now due to WFA).

My idea is also patentable! You can certainly patent any crap for so long as you cleverly define your idea as indigenous.
I had a friend in the mid 2000s that had a patented performance module for automobiles. He sued a guy for copying it, but lost because the copy had different colored wires.

Henri
Henri

mendis wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 04:31
AR3-GP wrote:

Well said 🏅

ispano6

Lewis's hands aren't that big either, his current steering wheel is smaller than many others. Others have longer fingers who probably don't need to hold their wheel from the top during race starts, for instance.

JordanFiveOh
JordanFiveOh

ispano6 wrote:Lewis's hands aren't that big either, his current steering wheel is smaller than many others. Others have longer fingers who probably don't need to hold their wheel from the top during race starts, for instance.
He does that to avoid any possible accidental downshifts (by blocking the space that the paddle would go with his fingers).