2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:35
djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:56
dfegan358 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 11:52
It’s amazing how Ricciardo thinks he will have options for f1 drive come 2024. He should be begging for a Haas drive next year to stay somewhat relevant
RedBull clearly still believe in him, he’ll be their reserve driver next year and will likely replace Perez when he retires at the end of ‘23 (he’s said he’s unhappy with the expanded F1 calendar and has a very young family).
Sebastian Buemi was their reserve for years, never got back a race seat. It's more likely De Vries is the long term target for the Red Bull seat, if Perez leaves.
Crazy how we're talking about De Vries in a RB race seat when he's only driven 1 race for Williams and was outperformed by Vandoorne in FE :lol:

djos

Ground Effect wrote:
djos wrote:
dfegan358 wrote:
It’s amazing how Ricciardo thinks he will have options for f1 drive come 2024. He should be begging for a Haas drive next year to stay somewhat relevant
RedBull clearly still believe in him, he’ll be their reserve driver next year and will likely replace Perez when he retires at the end of ‘23 (he’s said he’s unhappy with the expanded F1 calendar and has a very young family).
Sebastian Buemi was their reserve for years, never got back a race seat. It's more likely De Vries is the long term target for the Red Bull seat, if Perez leaves.
Seb wasnt a race winner and frankly never looked like a potential winner either. He was just another decent F1 driver like Hulk.
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:20
BosF1 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:07
djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 12:41

I’d rather be a fan than a hater.
The good drivers drive fast because of the car. The great drivers drive fast despite the car.
Ask Alain Prost what he thought of his 1990 Ferrari, iirc he compared it to a truck!

Daniel is too nice to tell us what he really thinks of his McLaren.

Top drivers changing teams has gone horribly wrong before and will do so again (Fernando rejoining McLaren also springs to mind).
First of all, Alain Prost finished 2nd in 1990 behind Senna, won a few races. It was in 1991 that he complained about his Ferrari, calling it a truck. Guess what? He still managed a couple of podiums, finished in the top 6 in the Championship, even though he retired in nearly 50% of the races and didn't even feature in the season finale in Australia. He also didn't get trounced by his less experienced team mate. The problem is, Daniel is under performing in his car, whether it's a truck or not. He's like Latifi in the horrible Williams, while Lando is performing like George, in same horrible Williams. Even if the results are bad, like with Fernando because of the car, you couldn't fault his performance, which is what Lando is doing, making the most of what he has. Daniel can blame McLaren for not producing a race winning car, but he can’t blame McLaren for his lack of adaptability, which Carlos managed to do. Unfortunately for Daniel, it appears he's surrounded himself with people who won't tell it like it is, maybe everyone in his management is a buddy and just there for the F1 ride as well. It's a shame cause he's a top bloke.
Last edited by Ground Effect on 24 Oct 2022, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:40
Ground Effect wrote:
djos wrote:

Seb wasnt a race winner and frankly never looked like a potential winner either. He was just another decent F1 driver like Hulk.
Sebastian never drove the Red Bull though, who knows how he would have performed. There wasn't much to separate Vergne and Daniel in STR.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:37
Ground Effect wrote:
djos wrote:

Crazy how we're talking about De Vries in a RB race seat when he's only driven 1 race for Williams and was outperformed by Vandoorne in FE :lol:
He did win the FE title before Stoffel though. I mean, it’s possible he had F1 on his mind.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:20
BosF1 wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 13:07
djos wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 12:41

I’d rather be a fan than a hater.
Fernando’s issue at Mclaren part 2 wasn’t related to his own performances.

The good drivers drive fast because of the car. The great drivers drive fast despite the car.
Ask Alain Prost what he thought of his 1990 Ferrari, iirc he compared it to a truck!

Daniel is too nice to tell us what he really thinks of his McLaren.

Top drivers changing teams has gone horribly wrong before and will do so again (Fernando rejoining McLaren also springs to mind).
A lion must kill its prey.

iRacer

Delete
Last edited by iRacer on 14 Nov 2022, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

iRacer

Delete

mwillems

InsomniRacer wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 10:41
mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 21:32
InsomniRacer wrote:
20 Oct 2022, 14:50

He is a bonehead because if he was actually any good now he might have had the chance to destroy whatever teammates. He didn't stay in F1 because he is done and can't stand any more embarrassment. Better to leave F1 and maybe just maybe some team will be desperate enough to take him in the future. Stranger things have happened.

He can't do well because of himself, not because he doesn't want to go to a lesser team. Yes he's been in the sport a while, which only means he doesn't even want to be in F1 in a lesser team being outclassed. Less experienced drivers would at least take the chance.

F1 is cutthroat and Riccardo was done as soon as he was getting destroyed by Norris. A lucky win is all that's kept the outside delusions of grandeur going. It's never easy to see likable characters fall from grace.
What I don't get is why you think simply driving in F1 is a priority for him or should be a priority for him. Your looking through the eyes of someone who has achieved nothing in comparison. He's an elite sportsman and has been for years and is still better than many of the guys on the grid, but you think he needs to look at F1 with the eyes of someone who wouldn't get within a million miles of F1 unless he was given a ticket and told to sit on the grass, aka your eyes. Of course he doesn't and he;s not going to look at an F1 seat the same way :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your post doesn't make any sense so don't know why all the laughing 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Looks like the latest news is that he is staying in F1 in the background somewhere. The guy is burnt out by his own admission and doesn't want to race ANYWHERE. Tell me the part of that you don't understand and I'll reply.
It makes total sense. You look at an F1 drive like its the holy grail, he looks at it like a fun job he's done for over a decade!!! Get over yourself 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

iRacer

Delete

PlatinumZealot

Ricciardo is planning to sit and observe from the GOAT. Follow the fine data traces of his steering movements, his pedals his gearshifts, his feedback... Then try that in the Merc simulator... Strange plan but it does make sense if when you think about the problems Ricciaro's been having.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mwillems

InsomniRacer wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 16:24
mwillems wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 11:08
InsomniRacer wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 10:41

Your post doesn't make any sense so don't know why all the laughing 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Looks like the latest news is that he is staying in F1 in the background somewhere. The guy is burnt out by his own admission and doesn't want to race ANYWHERE. Tell me the part of that you don't understand and I'll reply.
It makes total sense. You look at an F1 drive like its the holy grail, he looks at it like a fun job he's done for over a decade!!! Get over yourself 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
So in your opinion F1 isn't the highest of racing categories. Care to share what you think is higher ranked than F1. This should be good.
Why would I, you're the only person making that statement?

It's simple to understand. You think he should take any seat in F1... but clearly he would feel that doesn't interest him, having been driving at the top or near top of F1 for over a decade... so driving at the back of the grid didn't excite him. It's not rocket science to appreciate his point of view. If you can't get that on the fourth time of explaining, that's on you..
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

Juzh

djos wrote:
dfegan358 wrote:
Fantasy. Perez extended for 2 years anyway until end of 2024.

djos

Juzh wrote:
27 Oct 2022, 20:26
djos wrote:
dfegan358 wrote:
Fantasy. Perez extended for 2 years anyway until end of 2024.
That was before the extended F1 calendar was announced.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/sergiop-p ... r-expands/
“Right now you’re basically [immersed in] it because we have so many races. We have simulator sessions before each event. We have partner events.

“We basically have zero time for ourselves and for our families. I have a couple of young children [with a third on the way]. I think if the calendar [expands] more, then I definitely will not do it.”
"In downforce we trust"