2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FromGP2toWDC

Re: 2022 Oracle | Red Bull Racing F1 Team

With the wind tunnel time reduction penalty, would RBR focus on other areas of development for the 2023/2024 car?

chrisc90

I really dont think it will affect them to be honest. They will just adapt to be more precise and refined in their designs before they put them into the tunnel.

Wazari

ispano6 wrote:
05 Nov 2022, 17:10
When will RedBull's new wind tunnel be ready?

Wind tunnel time is limited for F1 teams. Not for Honda. The work conducted at HALO could be useful to both AT and RB with the primary purpose of serving Honda development. They could conceivably have a copy of the chassis or aero form to test cooling packages, not aero load or drag ETC. Time zone and distance from Milton Keynes probably isn't an obstacle, Sakura is farther and more time zone difference.

I'll see what I can find out from my acquaintance at HPD who leads the Civic Type R TC program. He's a Checo/RedBull fan who considers Tanabe-san as "God of VTEC". Maybe Wazari-san can give us info about whether HALO can be used for HRC purposes.
The HALO in short can not be used for anything remotely associated with F1. The FIA would definitely frown upon that. Also logistically it would be very costly. I remember there were rumors about a factory team sneaking more wind tunnel time by putting a LMP shell on top of the "real" chassis but nothing was ever proven.

Tanabe-san has the reputation of VTEC no Oo-sama by many.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

ispano6

Wazari wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 02:09
The HALO in short can not be used for anything remotely associated with F1. The FIA would definitely frown upon that. Also logistically it would be very costly. I remember there were rumors about a factory team sneaking more wind tunnel time by putting a LMP shell on top of the "real" chassis but nothing was ever proven.

Tanabe-san has the reputation of VTEC no Oo-sama by many.
That's interesting to know Wazari-san. I'm curious to understand by what you mean as FIA would frown upon anything associated to F1. What if Honda wanted to field a car or if another company wanted to use its services legally on the books? Surely RedBull is not restricted to using its own wind tunnel if Aston and AT use Mercedes and RedBull's?

Wazari

ispano6 wrote:
06 Nov 2022, 19:22
That's interesting to know Wazari-san. I'm curious to understand by what you mean as FIA would frown upon anything associated to F1. What if Honda wanted to field a car or if another company wanted to use its services legally on the books? Surely RedBull is not restricted to using its own wind tunnel if Aston and AT use Mercedes and RedBull's?
I think I might have misunderstood your question. What I meant is that the FIA would frown upon anyone using the guise of testing product A to circumvent the allowed WT time for product B (F1 product). If the team notifies the FIA of which facility they will use and the facility is proctored then it would not be an issue. Transport from the team's manufacturing facilities to the WT would be a major consideration. One of the main reason HRD built a facility in Milton Keynes was so that if any changes to the PU were necessitated due to aero changes it could be done so quickly for further testing.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

Stu

Full size testing is forbidden
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Red Bull have to nominate a tunnel for testing that year. No testing for the purpose of the F1 car can be done in any tunnel other than the one nominated.

I'm intrigued as why people might think its okay for a team to try and circumvent a punishment for a breach with actual well defined and understood cheating?

etusch

sorry if this is shared. Verstappen's medium stint.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

organic

Marko states in this interview that the new wind tunnel they are building will take another 2-3 years to construct

Also says the new management in charge of RB is keen on staying in F1 with the current level of independence for the race team

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -red-bull/

Many other interesting things, including discussing future of juniors (talks Iwasa, Lawson etc)

FromGP2toWDC

etusch wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 15:43
Just being able to keep it on the 1.22.xx for pretty much the entire race, MV's level of consistency and superb tire preservation.

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -red-bull/

Worth also noting from the above AMuS article, Marko mentions there will be a number of additions to the RB academy for next season. Expecting Maloney to be announced for F2

etusch

FromGP2toWDC wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 20:22
etusch wrote:
Just being able to keep it on the 1.22.xx for pretty much the entire race, MV's level of consistency and superb tire preservation.
When I think that lap times differ from each other just in miliseconds with whole laps and many turns... It is like a robot.

MadMax
MadMax

etusch wrote:
08 Nov 2022, 08:17
FromGP2toWDC wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 20:22
etusch wrote:
When I think that lap times differ from each other just in miliseconds with whole laps and many turns... It is like a robot.
The top drivers can do that, it's one of the skills that makes them top drivers. We've seen it from some others on the grid over the years.

Vanja #66

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

atanatizante wrote:
07 Nov 2022, 16:15
In this video, the author describes the so-called RB18`s secret weapons that helped to win both WDC and WCC championships:

I wonder had the following things could be implemented in the W14 car bearing in mind they will retain the same no-pods aero philosophy as we did figure out they`ll do next year:

- variable Venturi tunnels hights in order for a constant airflow volume hence velocity, to be achieved underfloor
- peak downforce created by the floor at lower-speed corners when the ride height is higher rather than high-speed corners when the car runs at the minimum height
The video is very amateurish about these two claims, unsurprisingly.

Variable height in RB18 tunnels does not represent an effort to achieve constant airspeed in them, on the contrary. Various vertical curves on the keel speed up the airflow and this low pressure is projected onto floor surface creating several low-pressure zones in the tunnel. All these zones are not as dependent of ride height changes as a typical "clean" design would be, even if they are relatively small.

Peak downforce is definitely not created at low speed corners, even if we are talking about aero coefficients and not outright air-velocity-dependent forces. RB18's floor profile is such that it creates a single massive low-pressure zone with the lowest throat height of all cars, more here:

viewtopic.php?p=1089281#p1089281

This design still works the best at low ride heights, just like any other ground-effect floor out there. The difference here is that this design emphasizes diffuser performance and strong diffuser vortex generation to prevent diffuser stall when car is at its lowest, while slightly sacrificing overall peak downforce levels. This is completely different from Ferrari, a car that was allowed to bounce at high speed to keep the optimal ride height at all times and all corners.

Both cars had softer suspension and great low-speed corner performance where this performance was most important for lap time (e.g. Monaco), but RB never bounced as much since its diffuser rarely stalled at speed - contrary to Ferrari. As of TD039, RB18 simply managed to retain its original design properties, while Ferrari and others had to make severe compromises with their setup. The top speed of RB came mostly from better RW design with bigger DRS flap, until Ferrari had to cut back on engine power to lower the risk of mid-race failures. From that point RB18 even had a distinctive power advantage over its competitors.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie