2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

diffuser wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:15
djos wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 11:45
etusch wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 11:41

I think he will be best like TD but can be TP too. But he should another one near to him to handle race operations. Even in worse scenario he is still far better than Zak.
Binotto is an Excellent technical leader, he just seems to lack the strategic and political side needed to be an effective TP.

Zac manages the commercial side of McLaren, not the racing side. Any blame for the racing org should fall on Andreas.
Binotto was managing the strategy, was making calls based on his strategy people.
The buck stops with him, how many times did his team make the same strategic errors last season under yellow conditions? At least 3 times I can think of. It was his job to make sure mistakes were learnt from, clearly he wasn’t doing that.
"In downforce we trust"

DiogoBrand

The car isn't performing as expected, so the obvious solution is to fire everyone in charge, bring a guy responsible for turning Ferrari into a joke on may occasions, let them take the time to learn how everything at the team and on the car works so that they can provide a better solution than the people who are already there, already know the problems and have a good idea on how to solve them.

I think every team should do this every time something goes wrong, not firing people when the cars don't perform is a clear sign of weakness and surely we at this forum know how to run the teams better than the people in charge.

I hope you people realize I was being ironic.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FW17 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 12:11
the EDGE wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 11:55
Is there a reason people want to replace Stella before the season has even begun?

If there is a weakness in McLaren, its currently coming from the Aero dept. Only time will tell if that is an infrastructure issue, or a leadership issue. If it turns out to be a leadership issue then that has nothing to do with Stella, his line manager was Siedl, and he should have taken care of it
A lot of mechanical problems too, that has not been addressed.
Maybe they should buy there entire suspension from a works team as a temp measure.
What mechanical problems and how buying the suspension from someone else would solve it?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Emag wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 12:23
Seems like a load of bullshit in general. With the numbers he has put, it means all teams have lost ground to RedBull apart from Aston Martin and Williams.

And that seems very unlikely.

McLaren being 8th for the first couple of races is believable though, just not by the margins he provided.
If Gary says you fell back and are at the back of the grid, you know the car is fine.

bauc

PhillipM wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 16:57
Emag wrote:
Seems like a load of bullshit in general. With the numbers he has put, it means all teams have lost ground to RedBull apart from Aston Martin and Williams.

McLaren being 8th for the first couple of races is believable though, just not by the margins he provided.
If Gary says you fell back and are at the back of the grid, you know the car is fine.
Hhaha yes, always go with the opposite of what Gary says, it has been proven year by year :mrgreen:
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

EJ22B wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:37
The overreaction here is unbelievable. There is no need to fire senior personnel as that won't help address the issues.

The team said last season that they are short on personnel which has caused several issues including the development on the future and current projects.

McLaren simply just need to address and improve the processes so that these issues don't appear again.
Not short on personnel, short of personnel with a type of knowledge.

But I agree, why on earth are we calling for peoples heads again #-o
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

bauc wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 17:45
PhillipM wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 16:57
Emag wrote:

Haha yes, always go with the opposite of what Gary says, it has been proven year by year :mrgreen:
With specific reference to 2020!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

If the team has chosen to bring their car 2 months late because they believe they will have more chance of fighting at the front of the midfield because of that, then probably they have thought this well through and probably the Baku update will be a game changer to them. The car looked horrible last week.. both drivers struggling with balance under braking and turn-in. Even more than last year it seemed. Must be frustrating for the drivers and the team themselves too. It will (again) be an awful start to the season, but let’s just hope they turn it around and have a new base car that they can build upon in upcoming seasons.

To be honest, I’d rather have them pursue the best car possible than them just accepting a car that doesn’t cut it, just so that they’re in time for testing. A solid base is more fruitful for upcoming years under stable regulations too. If the grid is as close as they say, teams will hopefully steal enough points of each other to not make our points deficit to 4th too big.

I just hope the team bring their processes in order so that in years to come they are actually ready when everyone else is.

Lucky
Lucky

genarro
genarro

What is will buxton even doing in f1 gUys... He is a joke. And lawrence berreto the same. I have checked time and time again on the official f1 page after fp1 and fp2 their assesement of who looks good before a race and they have never ever got it even remotely right..(usualy they just use the times in fp2 and call it a day)

These "experts" can go and kiss me where the sun doesnt shine

CjC
CjC

genarro wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 06:35
What is will buxton even doing in f1 gUys... He is a joke. And lawrence berreto the same. I have checked time and time again on the official f1 page after fp1 and fp2 their assesement of who looks good before a race and they have never ever got it even remotely right..(usualy they just use the times in fp2 and call it a day)

I agree.
Have you seen their analysis on the official F1 page after testing?
Quali sim:
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

Race pace:
https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

Both are different to the their predictions in the table from Luckys post🤷🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

Mclarenfanboy
Mclarenfanboy

Slowly, Mclaren is turning in kind of a team where driver career goes to die. Ok, Piastri burned his bridges to Alpine , but there are 8, maybe 9 teams in the future that will take him, so for him Mclaren is a good deal. But , Lando, please get the f.... out of there soon. Guy , it will never gonna happen, Perez is not going to drive forever. ;-), you need to jump that ship ASAP , money is not worth it.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 10:46
Slowly, Mclaren is turning in kind of a team where driver career goes to die. Ok, Piastri burned his bridges to Alpine , but there are 8, maybe 9 teams in the future that will take him, so for him Mclaren is a good deal. But , Lando, please get the f.... out of there soon. Guy , it will never gonna happen, Perez is not going to drive forever. ;-), you need to jump that ship ASAP , money is not worth it.
So not really a Mclarenfanboy then.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

genarro wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 06:35

Will Buxton's tech analysis: Lando punched a wall = McLaren 10th.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Lucky
Lucky

Mclarenfanboy wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 10:46
From the autorsport forum
on the Sky Sports F1 show last night they stated that Lando has 'gone ballistic' with the team behind the scenes. They were intimating he has said the car isn't good enough (again) and if it doesn't improve fast he will be looking elsewhere.