Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari SF23

dialtone wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 19:53
In the "all cars onboard" video it didn't seem like the understeer was that bad.

Basically there's a smidge in T1 and T11, and some understeer in T8 where Carlos misses the Apex on entry but the steering input is about the same as one would expect to turn the car. Even at T4 with the nice opening on exit Ferrari seems alright overall.

I don't see any understeer in the higher speed corners compared to RedBull, seems equivalent there to me.

If I were a betting man I think the understeer is less the issue while moving from understeer to oversteer may be more the problem, in T14-15 Carlos has another little bit of understeer on entry and then the car turns oversteery on exit. If they have an aero issue on the wing at low speeds that then engages well above a certain threshold I can imagine that it would be hard to balance the car well and for the driver to properly predict the behavior.
These kinds of details are masked over 1 lap.
Its when you have 100 kg of fuel, that the aero is really tested.

organic

Low fuel and softer rubber does hide balance issues. It's why the teams do longer runs rather than performance running when trying to build a setup

jambuka
jambuka

dialtone wrote:
In the "all cars onboard" video it didn't seem like the understeer was that bad.

Basically there's a smidge in T1 and T11, and some understeer in T8 where Carlos misses the Apex on entry but the steering input is about the same as one would expect to turn the car. Even at T4 with the nice opening on exit Ferrari seems alright overall.

I don't see any understeer in the higher speed corners compared to RedBull, seems equivalent there to me.

If I were a betting man I think the understeer is less the issue while moving from understeer to oversteer may be more the problem, in T14-15 Carlos has another little bit of understeer on entry and then the car turns oversteery on exit. If they have an aero issue on the wing at low speeds that then engages well above a certain threshold I can imagine that it would be hard to balance the car well and for the driver to properly predict the behavior.
So F14T then ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:

You often get oversteer on corner exit due to entry and especially mid-corner understeer. You need to apply more "angle" with the wheel and when the tyres "regain" grip you then have to deal with snaps of oversteer from the rear. You can manage this over one lap, but over a race? In order to protect the rear tyres, you simply have to lap slower and still having to deal with high tyre wear.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 19:54
dialtone wrote:

Fair enough, Carlos had a lap fully onboard with full fuel on F1TV day 3 at 3:00:33 mark. I think the observations above remained valid, just the understeery parts are a bit more understeery except T1 that is a full 180deg steering input to make that corner.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:13
AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 19:54
dialtone wrote:

Fair enough, Carlos had a lap fully onboard with full fuel on F1TV day 3 at 3:00:33 mark. I think the observations above remained valid, just the understeery parts are a bit more understeery except T1 that is a full 180deg steering input to make that corner.
It's possible. However, I imagine the drivers are a lot more sensitive to stuff we can't really see on the TV.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:56
organic wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:45
I will note it doesn't necessarily say they will have a fix in Australia.

It says they will have a new front wing by Australia. The article also mentions unexpected understeer.. if they did not expect this understeer, with the lead times for something like a new front wing it cannot be an intentional & direct fix. It's entirely plausible that the rumoured new spec fw could be designed to bring lower front load to gain efficiency overall, also plausible it's designed to bring more front load. We can't say and neither does formula1uno at this stage
This is now a (very juicy) car topic, so lets continue in car thread :)

This word is indeed important. Unexpected might mean outboard zone, where angles are already low, is flexing and twisting too much so the effective angle is even lower. Or the whole moveable flap group is twisting too much. This would be an easy mexhanical fix, to redesign and strengthen the brackets, making it possible to bring a solution in 4 weeks. Such work is not a repair so can't be done in the garage, wings would need to be dissasembled and rebuilt, taking up some time but not too much.
I don't know if it's related to the analysis you have made on this post, but i found this video on twitter

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:16

It's possible. However, I imagine the drivers are a lot more sensitive to stuff we can't really see on the TV.
Yeah I'm sure the TV doesn't do justice.

Here's the video of that lap for what it's worth.

It says it expires in a day, I can probably upload the 4k version on youtube although I'm scared of their video policing stuff.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:35
AR3-GP wrote:

It says it expires in a day, I can probably upload the 4k version on youtube although I'm scared of their video policing stuff.
The car looked terrible in the quick change of direction at the start of sector 2 though.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 27 Feb 2023, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
organic wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 13:45
I will note it doesn't necessarily say they will have a fix in Australia.

It says they will have a new front wing by Australia. The article also mentions unexpected understeer.. if they did not expect this understeer, with the lead times for something like a new front wing it cannot be an intentional & direct fix. It's entirely plausible that the rumoured new spec fw could be designed to bring lower front load to gain efficiency overall, also plausible it's designed to bring more front load. We can't say and neither does formula1uno at this stage

This word is indeed important. Unexpected might mean outboard zone, where angles are already low, is flexing and twisting too much so the effective angle is even lower. Or the whole moveable flap group is twisting too much. This would be an easy mexhanical fix, to redesign and strengthen the brackets, making it possible to bring a solution in 4 weeks. Such work is not a repair so can't be done in the garage, wings would need to be dissasembled and rebuilt, taking up some time but not too much.
I don't know if it's related to the analysis you have made on this post, but i found this video on twitter

That's not "abnormal". That's by design.

dialtone
dialtone

Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:38
dialtone wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The car looked terrible in the quick change of directions at the start of sector 2 though.
I think that's a mistake from Carlos though, he had too much input and too much kerb, the car wasn't understeering in those corners if anything it was oversteering.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:40
Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:38
dialtone wrote:

The car looked terrible in the quick change of directions at the start of sector 2 though.
I think that's a mistake from Carlos though, he had too much input and too much kerb, the car wasn't understeering in those corners if anything it was oversteering.
Yeah, my comment wasn't specifically related to understeer in this case

Anyway, Formu1a.uno is usually spot on with these kinds of reports. An engineer told them they couldn't get rid of the understeer after 3 days of testing. Hopefully with real track data and an additional week they will be able to find a better compromise, while working on a solution for the short - medium term.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 27 Feb 2023, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

scuderiabrandon

AR3-GP wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:40
Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2023, 20:34
Vanja #66 wrote:

That's not "abnormal". That's by design.
abnormal = left side flexing more than right side

jambuka
jambuka

Does anyone have numbers on the mileage they ran for 2022 Testing ? Ferrari seems to rely on the mileage in testing to understand reliability of the engine, however they did not have any engine problems in testing last year but had many problems later in year. Trying to understand if they did more running for 2023 testing ?

organic

I believe Ferrari engines this year did 1200 for reference

Article is already posted here, but Duchessa doubles down on the 10km/h value and confirms more than 1 sec gain

Given last year pole was 130.5 with F1-75 that suggests low 1.29s