2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower
JPower

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:30

Okay. I'll take your word for it. I didn't look at his other content, but this post in particular is dangerously misleading. Like comparing apples to oranges with no context and calling it good. The post offers absolutely zero insight into how much better the SF23 is than the SF-75 because there is no basis to assume the laps are like for like or anything close to.
Didn't say anything in that post about the car being better, just said it was different and that the RW made the comparison difficult.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

AR3-GP wrote:
JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:27
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:07

This guy doesn't acknowledge that we don't know fuel loads, engine modes, the "newness" of the regulations, or the effect of the new tires when comparing the best lap from pre-season last year to a best lap of pre-season this year.

We need to be more selective of the content that gets brought to this forum and passed off as "analysis". There's an increasing amount of "twitter analyst" who have been unleashed thanks to the f1python api. They seem to specialize in generating colorful plots that lack critical analysis of the information contained within.
His analysis is usually pretty good. Have been following since 2020. Would definitely not classify his work as junk by any stretch regardless of his lack of context in that post. It was just a surface level comparison.
Okay. I'll take your word for it. I didn't look at his other content, but this post in particular is dangerously misleading. Like comparing apples to oranges with no context and calling it good. The post offers absolutely zero insight into how much better the SF23 is than the SF-75 because there is no basis to assume the laps are like for like or anything close to.
I acknowledge your point too, and will say I think it’s me who’s guilty of erroneously extrapolating from the twitter post as opposed to what they actually posted.

Having said that, while we don’t know the laps are like-for-like, and comparing this years car with a year of development over last years is hard/impossible, I think certain things can be inferred when taken in the broader context of testing and the commentary around it:

1) Ferrari went faster in testing this year than last year. While the tyres are new and accounted for much of this (probably), the margin of difference between the F1-75 and the SF-23 is greater than that of the RB18-19 and the W13-14.
2) commentary around Ferrari’s test this year is already widely circulated - EG they were high on fuel/low on engine mode. Of course, the same can be said for last years test, but then the comparison still stands…
3) this is the closest thing we have to a direct comparison from year-to-year. I think there is more useful information in a comparison like this than, for example, comparing the SF-23 to the RB19 in this test, because there are even more unknown variables.
4) taken in isolation, excluding things like fuel loads and engine modes - we know the tyre compound was the same, and the fastest lap from each test was used. Again, I’m extrapolating out of thin air, but one would assume the same teams to employ similar testing strategies year to year - so comparing fastest laps on the same tyres one year to the next, I think, gives us the closest thing to a meaningful comparison that we can take from testing in general.

5) - it’s just interesting to look at and discuss, no? Or should we not say anything because ultimately none of us truly know the full picture at all. Then… isn’t the point of the forum a bit… you know… pointless?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 02:32

1) Ferrari went faster in testing this year than last year. While the tyres are new and accounted for much of this (probably), the margin of difference between the F1-75 and the SF-23 is greater than that of the RB18-19 and the W13-14.
This could simply be because Ferrari sandbagged more than anyone in 2022. Remember how everyone thought RB would be on pole and win in Bahrain last year or it could be because RB/Merc sandbagged more this year.

We have no idea.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:46
AR3-GP wrote:

Didn't say anything in that post about the car being better, just said it was different and that the RW made the comparison difficult.
We don't even know if it's truly "different" because again we have no context to say the laps were like for like.

The best time for this kind of post is comparing Q3 from year to year.

If the twitter guy wanted to provide something that would have been insightful, it would make more sense to take the best lap from 2022 Bahrain qualifying, and compare that to the best pre-season lap. Because then you have some great context for comparison of the minimum improvement of the SF23.

I just took a few minutes to put that analysis together, and it supports the improvements of Ferrari more concretely:

In this we compare Sainz's pre-season test lap with more than 20kg of fuel and low engine mode, to a 2022 Q3 lap of sainz with low fuel and max power (at the time). What you see is more interesting. Much more Straightline speed. +7kmh/h on the main straight. + 11km/h on the back straight, again with more fuel and less engine power on the '23 pre-season lap than in 2022. We also see that the overfueled SF-23 is carrying 7-8km/h more speed through Turn 11 and Turn 13 during pre-season this year, than a balls to the walls qualy lap from last year on low fuel. (Tire tends to have a bigger effect in the lower speed corners than higher speed corners like T11 and T13).

What does this mean? When Ferrari turn up the power and empty the fuel tank, these deltas will grow even larger.

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:22

We don't even know if it's truly "different" because again we have no context to say the laps were like for like.
You're thinking way too hard about this. Again, it was surface level A/B comparison for Twitter.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:35
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:22

You're thinking way too hard about this. Again, it was surface level A/B comparison for Twitter.
I don't think it's very complex at all.

I could also overlay a lap from Suzuka with the Bahrain preseason lap and post it on twitter. It would have a similar value :lol:
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Mar 2023, 03:39, edited 2 times in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Thanks for that AR3-GP! I agree with both your response to me and to JPower, and your comparison is very interesting.

Interesting that the SF-23 appears to be much better on corner entry, and even at the apex in several corners, but falls away on exit. That matches with what has been observed re: traction issues.

Still compelling to me is that the cornering performance is very similar (in T11/T13 even superior on the SF-23) despite having a significantly lower DF config on the rear wing. Last year for a Bahrain they ran a barn door. Again, idiosyncrasies of data aside, and thanks to your great contribution, it does seem to confirm the ‘same load/less drag’ storyline that has been doing the rounds.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:37
Thanks for that AR3-GP! I agree with both your response to me and to JPower, and your comparison is very interesting.

Interesting that the SF-23 appears to be much better on corner entry, and even at the apex in several corners, but falls away on exit. That matches with what has been observed re: traction issues.

Still compelling to me is that the cornering performance is very similar (in T11/T13 even superior on the SF-23) despite having a significantly lower DF config on the rear wing. Last year for a Bahrain they ran a barn door. Again, idiosyncrasies of data aside, and thanks to your great contribution, it does seem to confirm the ‘same load/less drag’ storyline that has been doing the rounds.
Yes the more and more I look at the data for the SF-23, the more I see that Ferrari are capable of trampling all over the Verstappen coronation proceedings :lol:

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:36

I could also overlay a lap from Suzuka with the Bahrain preseason lap and post it on twitter. It would have a similar value :lol:
You aren't the target audience. Making a post for F1Technical is different than one for a wider Twitter audience.

Regardless, appreciate your analysis.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:42
AR3-GP wrote:

You aren't the target audience. Making a post for F1Technical is different than one for a wider Twitter audience.

I don't mean to belabor the point, but the wider twitter audience is exactly why it is even more important not to display misleading comparisons on the internet. The wider twitterverse will skip over the unknown fuel loads, sandbagging games, tires etc etc and assume Ferrari made more improvement than Red Bull and Mercedes over the winter. A dangerous extrapolation. There is no evidence to conclude that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Look at these "claims":
In terms of lap time the W14 is the car that made the biggest jump, but it also started from a much weaker base. Currently the W14 has improved in all areas but drag will probably still be a problem: the RB18 and the SF23 improved more there
It is very misleading for a casual audience.

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:45
JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 03:42
AR3-GP wrote:

I don't mean to belabor the point, but the wider twitter audience is exactly why it is even more important not to display misleading comparisons on the internet. The wider twitterverse will skip over the unknown fuel loads, sandbagging games, tires etc etc and assume Ferrari made more improvement than Red Bull and Mercedes over the winter. A dangerous extrapolation. There is no evidence to conclude that.
We’ll agree to disagree.

Henk_v
Henk_v

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 02:57
JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 02:32

This could simply be because Ferrari sandbagged more than anyone in 2022. Remember how everyone thought RB would be on pole and win in Bahrain last year or it could be because RB/Merc sandbagged more this year.

We have no idea.
Well, using the same exact logic, we can conclude Ferrari sandbagged less than RM and MB in '23...

Vanja #66

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:03
I assume this should be here and not the car thread, but the line has gotten grey for me.

Anyway, comparison between F1-75 and SF23. Impressive that in all but 2 corners, the SF-23 is stronger everywhere. If you click the link and open the thread it also compared the RB18-19 and the W13-14 too.
Yes, this is not for the car thread as we are talking lap times where we can't make any definitive judgement on car's behaviour (due to known unknowns). If we use lap times and speed in some parts of the lap to make a point about car behaviour and how some aspects of the car explain that performance, then it generally belongs in the car thread. :)

In this instance, all of those analyses are very limited for drawing any conclusion as we can't know for sure how much do the new tyres influence each car. Some cars might pick up 1.3s and others might pick up 1.7s, making the average time gained 1.5s as Isola said. Tyres are a very big known unknown in this testing, so I mostly agree with AR3-GP here...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Charles spoke a bit about the car in the latest episode of beyond the grid.
The episode was recorded after the first day of testing. He said that they made a lot of tests and the car behaved as they expected according to simulation sessions done at the factory.