Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall
bhall

Re: Ferrari F60

What are these? Paddle shifters and...?

Miguel
Miguel

bhallg2k wrote:What are these? Paddle shifters and...?
I don't have a clue, but the clutch is also activated with paddles behind the wheel. On the other hand, the McLaren KERS button is *not* on the wheel, so it could be that Ferrari engineers have found that a KERS-dedicated paddle is the best option.

PS: Pedro Mtz de la Rosa admitted to the KERS thing, but he wouldn't admit where McLaren have their KERS switch, in case you wonder.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

PlatinumZealot

timbo wrote:
Miguel wrote:I suppose one could arrange then a multilayer coating similar to high quality mirrors and lenses in order to further improve heat reflectivity. Or am I pushing things a tad too far?
Because you aim at IR range every layer should be sufficiently thick, and multilayer coating might become somewhat cumbersome. But I don't see why same general principle shouldn't work.
I found something From Wiki..

Infrared radiation is about 0.7 micrometers to 100 micrometers.. so it's very close between, Al, silver and gold. I think the Gold might have other properties that make it desirable. Maybe more malleable, or maybe because it does not tarnish so easily at high temperatures (?)

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

noname
noname

n smikle wrote:(...) I think the Gold might have other properties that make it desirable. (...)
gold is quite "plastic" material. I mean you can create really thin layer of it (weight) w/out using sophisticated technologies.
I do not know how it is with silver or Al so just guessing.

bar555
bar555

Gold advantages
- It is the most malleable and ductile pure metal known , thus can be easily formed into thin coatings
- Gold does not rust, tarnish, corrode, crumble, decompose or decay, even after centuries on the sea floor or in a damp dripping cavern . That’s why it is called a "noble" metal
- Higher melting point (1,064.43°C) than silver

Gold disadvantages
- Very expensive in pure form
- Very high density , 19.32 grams per cubic centimeter at 293°K

Silver disadvantages
- Lower melting point than gold , only 961.78 °C
- Silver may be very ductile and malleablebut is slightly harder than gold
- Tarnishability of silver .Silver is stable in pure air and water, but tarnishes when it is exposed to air or water containing ozone or hydrogen sulfide to form a black layer of silver sulfide which can be cleaned off with dilute hydrochloric acid
- Very expensive in pure form
- Very high density

Silver advantages
- It has the highest optical reflectivity although aluminium slightly outdoes it in parts of the visible spectrum, and it is a poor reflector of ultraviolet light

Aluminium
- It is much cheaper than gold or silver
- Low density , only 2.70 g·cm−3
- Aluminium is remarkable for its ability to resist corrosion due to the phenomenon of passivation due to a thin surface layer of aluminium oxide that forms when the metal is exposed to air, effectively preventing further oxidation . As a side effect that thin external layer of Al2O3 oxide negatively the metal's high reflectance ability . Generally Aluminium is one of the few metals that retain full silvery reflectance in finely powdered form, making it an important component of silver paints. Aluminium mirror finish has the highest reflectance of any metal in the 200–400 nm (UV) and the 3000–10000 nm (far IR) regions, while in the 400–700 nm visible range it is slightly outdone by tin and silver and in the 700–3000 (near IR) by silver, gold, and copper.
- It is not as malleable as gold or silver

So it is obvious why F1 mechanics chose gold for their needs
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

ISLAMATRON

Why because it is expensive?

Metar

ISLAMATRON wrote:Why because it is expensive?
Did you bother reading the comparison? It's the most suitable for the task: Doesn't corrode, easiest to form, higher melting-point than silver, and reflects well.

ISLAMATRON

Metar wrote:
Did you bother reading the comparison? It's the most suitable for the task: Doesn't corrode, easiest to form, higher melting-point than silver, and reflects well.
Corrode? over the course of a GP? not important... easier to form? when do F1 teams care about easy to form? They subcontract that crap out anyway. Ok higher melting point, but if the back of the drivers seat approaches 1000 degrees C then they have bigger problems than heat shielding.

If you look at the graph it is clear that the bare Al has the most area under the curve, and it is clearly the least dense.

Clearly there must be other reasons why the F1 teams use gold.

ISLAMATRON

n smikle wrote:
timbo wrote:
Miguel wrote:I suppose one could arrange then a multilayer coating similar to high quality mirrors and lenses in order to further improve heat reflectivity. Or am I pushing things a tad too far?
Because you aim at IR range every layer should be sufficiently thick, and multilayer coating might become somewhat cumbersome. But I don't see why same general principle shouldn't work.
I found something From Wiki..

Infrared radiation is about 0.7 micrometers to 100 micrometers.. so it's very close between, Al, silver and gold. I think the Gold might have other properties that make it desirable. Maybe more malleable, or maybe because it does not tarnish so easily at high temperatures (?)

I think N smikle has the clear cut answer here in that gold has the best reflection in the wavelength range that they are most interested in rejecting... 0.7 to 1 micrometers the gold has the best reflectance with nearly 100%

Michiba
Michiba

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Metar wrote:

If you look at the graph it is clear that the bare Al has the most area under the curve, and it is clearly the least dense.
Looks like the gold and silver have the greatest AUC in the infrared range

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Metar wrote:
Corrode? over the course of a GP? not important... easier to form? when do F1 teams care about easy to form? They subcontract that crap out anyway. Ok higher melting point, but if the back of the drivers seat approaches 1000 degrees C then they have bigger problems than heat shielding.

Clearly there must be other reasons why the F1 teams use gold.

Aluminum gets dull in a minute....it is also horrible to bond to anything.

And most of these will be applied as foil that you glue onto carbon bodywork out of their own shop, last time I check, most F1 teams does their own composite work....

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Saturday FP3

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

jamsbong
jamsbong

Smikle is right. Gold reflects the infra red region much better (over 10%). You only need a very thin layer so weight will be less of an issue.

Just wondering, did Schumacher test the F60?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

jamsbong wrote:Just wondering, did Schumacher test the F60?
No.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Shrek
Shrek

What are the things on the back of the endplates that zgred posted?
Spencer