Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrstphrln

Re: Ferrari SF23

wesley123 wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 13:33
chrstphrln wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 12:33
Looks like Ferrari has gone as far towards Red Bull as the old packaging will allow.
I don't think it's the optimal solution from an aerodynamics point of view.
Don't think there is anything packaging wise that would limit the slope. Ferrari have simply gone for the solution they would think is best.
I hope so.
However, the front end of the sidepods in particular seems a bit improvised to me. The big bump seems to exist to me because it has to disguise something underneath, not because it has an aerodynamic function.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 12:25
Of all the downwash designs, the outboard part reminds of Sauber the most, but it's even more inwash. And Sauber seems to have a bit different flow structure compared to Red Bull in this area, slightly more inwash on the top, but the sidewall sees a lot of downwash flow on its surface. If I would have to say anything right now, this feature could be the only reason Ferrari chose to make this change and make it work with very different floor edges. Will be very interesting to see the full flow vis photos later.

It looks like it was very important for Ferrari to keep the small channel near the engine cover, but not only for the S-duct. Very nice integration of this area with the engine cover and the opening ahead of rear suspension.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Sansovino
Sansovino

chrstphrln wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 13:58
wesley123 wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:
Looks like Ferrari has gone as far towards Red Bull as the old packaging will allow.
Don't think there is anything packaging wise that would limit the slope. Ferrari have simply gone for the solution they would think is best.
I hope so.
However, the front end of the sidepods in particular seems a bit improvised to me. The big bump seems to exist to me because it has to disguise something underneath, not because it has an aerodynamic function.
I think you're talking about the big bump covering the SIS. They haven't moved it as I assume they will have to make a completely new chassis to move it.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

The technicians led by Enrico Cardile have worked significantly on a package that will partially revise the concepts on which the SF-23 was designed, a car developed from a base that was the F1-75.

One of the problems of the SF-23, which has led to a lack of consistency in the race, is related to the ride heights once the 100 kg of fuel are loaded. The updates brought to Spain will further alleviate these issues. The Italian team is abandoning the particular and ‘unique’ inwash solution used since the first specification of the F1-75, further developed on the current season’s car, in favor of a hybrid solution that also resembles other cars, with the now well-known downwash effect introduced on track for the first time by Red Bull. The engine cover has also been revised, and despite all these changes, the Power Unit cooling system has not undergone any modifications, as explained by F1 experts Piergiuseppe Donadoni and Paolo D’Alessandro for formu1a.uno.

Since they cannot renew the suspension and chassis, the side pods do not feature the important lower undercut seen on most cars nowadays. This is due to a significant limitation related to the position of the intruder cone (SIS), not integrated into the floor but positioned much higher. However, Ferrari has worked to try to expand it compared to the previous solution, to the point that the SIS fairing is even more evident.

The other important novelty of the package relates to the car floor, which has been largely revised, while the changes to the rearview mirrors (the upper fairing has been shortened) and the appendages positioned behind the Halo protection system are of lesser importance. The floor returns to a solution already seen on last season’s F1-75, namely the hole in front of the rear wheels, and with the new specification of side pods, it has a much less exposed surface at the rear. This is because the airflow towards the upper part of the diffuser will now come from the downwash of the side pods and no longer from the inwash present in the previous solution. The new evolutionary package is currently only installed on Carlos Sainz’s SF-23, with Ferrari not ruling out comparative tests between the two packages in today’s free practice sessions at the Circuit de Catalunya.
Last edited by pantherxxx on 02 Jun 2023, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

chrstphrln

Sansovino wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 14:01
chrstphrln wrote:
wesley123 wrote:

I hope so.
I think you're talking about the big bump covering the SIS. They haven't moved it as I assume they will have to make a completely new chassis to move it.
That's what I meant with "as far towards Red Bull as the old packaging will allow". 😉

Schippke
Schippke

Just seen a comparison shot on Sky of Sainz (New Package) and Charles (Old Package) going through T9; Carlos’ car was running significantly higher than Charles’… as in Charles was running pretty much on the floor, whilst Sainz car was a few cms higher… anybody else notice that?

Maybe to do with running the car higher encase they damage the floor, or maybe a new way to go about the setup?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Schippke wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 14:31
Just seen a comparison shot on Sky of Sainz (New Package) and Charles (Old Package) going through T9; Carlos’ car was running significantly higher than Charles’… as in Charles was running pretty much on the floor, whilst Sainz car was a few cms higher… anybody else notice that?

Maybe to do with running the car higher encase they damage the floor, or maybe a new way to go about the setup?
Leclerc has been trying everything to reduce the massive understeer of the car, even risking extreme bouncing.

So it's not a surprise to see this.

wesley123
wesley123

chrstphrln wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:
I hope so.
It houses the SIS. Relocating it would have meant a new chassis.

I don't think this bulge is particularly significant aerodynamically.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

sucof

chrstphrln wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
chrstphrln wrote:
I hope so.
That bump was there before as well, only smaller. It is the end of the side crash strucutre. Part of the chassis. Moving it would require a new chassis and to homologize it. Like a new car.
This is very normal and not at all improvised to create an update around the current chassis. Everyone does it.

F1NAC

Any news on that mysterious new rear suspension rumour?

Marble
Marble

Nice thread with good explanation of Ferrari having the downwash on the outboard part of the side pods while keep the 'bathtub' and the in wash on the inner side.
Also explains the implications on the cooling and so on :

mclaren111

Andi76
Andi76

Fer.Fan wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 12:31
Look at front suspention, is that new anti dive set up? Nice picutre. Thank you.
Ferrari, as all teams, always used some Anti-Dive. So, its Ferraris "old"-Anti-Dive Suspension with about 15% Anti-Dive.
F1NAC wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 15:42
Any news on that mysterious new rear suspension rumour?
As far as I can tell from the photos shown, nothing has changed in the geometry, but it looks like the wishbones have been aerodynamically adjusted. They look wider. But Geometry itself - definetely the same as always.

dren

organic wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 13:44
Carlo platella 📸

https://i.imgur.com/6zQPze9.jpeg

Seems like the winglet above is placed to aid extraction with local upwash. Seems close enough for that to be the case

I'm impressed by the scope of this upgrade. They have delivered something very interesting here and the car remains unique
It’s just like the Mercedes upgrades, they can only copy so much of others that works until they run into their inherent design limitations. We will see how much both teams change at the start of next year.
Honda!