2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

swifteddie1 wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 05:08
MrGapes wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 00:55
mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:00

It's possibly something to do with the way the car is able to handle pitch and yaw throughout the entirety of those corners. Rob Marhsall please give us the secrets of the Red Bull suspension!
I think it’s mostly aerodynamic related, it doesn’t help that the cologne wind tunnel can’t simulate yaw.
Just my opinion and happy to be proved wrong but I don't think the issues on the MCL60 are entirely due to the deficiencies of the Cologne wind tunnel. They have had a number of years using it to know what it can and cannot do.

To me there are bigger issues with the development methodology and processes that are/were in place. The hope is that Stella and the new technical structure have/will address this.

As much as it pains me to say it the rest of the year should be used to get a good baseline for 2024 and prove out the development processes and structure.
Based on the new Technical Executive Team made up of Sanchez (car concept), Peter Prodromou (aerodynamics), Neil Houldey (engineering and design), Alprin on his way and another 10 other not so famous names, Brown agrees.

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:00
MrGapes wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:25
this is why I had tempered my expectations...

Whilst drag is a big issue that isn't the fundamental problem in my opinion.

- The car is very different on heavy fuel... the cars are heavily reliant on the mechanical and aerodynamic grip produced by the car. In qualifying the new softs provide additional grip which mask a lot of the fundamental aero and mechanical inefficiencies. The McLaren as the telemetry suggest struggles during off throttle and late braking phases in medium to low speed producing understeer.. when the car has more fuel you are off throttle for larger chunk of the lap thus the overall time loss grows.
It's possibly something to do with the way the car is able to handle pitch and yaw throughout the entirety of those corners. Rob Marhsall please give us the secrets of the Red Bull suspension!
I think it’s mostly aerodynamic related, it doesn’t help that the cologne wind tunnel can’t simulate yaw.
One silver bullet in this formula is having the car as flat to the ground and as low to the ground throughout the lap. Anyone can do it will get a substantial boost to their consistent aero.

If Mclaren could do it, for instance, we could run a lot less wing, have a more consistent and driveable car and be faster on the straight.

Everything is interrelated on these cars, more than it ever was before. Suspension and the floor are the 2 most important aspects of the car.

Edit: Suspension, floor AND tyres. If I recall, the team have already identified part of their longstanding handling and feel issue is related to the way the tyres behave and deform.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Balalu
Balalu

That was painful...🤕
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Balalu
Balalu

diffuser wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 06:11
swifteddie1 wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 05:08
MrGapes wrote:

Just my opinion and happy to be proved wrong but I don't think the issues on the MCL60 are entirely due to the deficiencies of the Cologne wind tunnel. They have had a number of years using it to know what it can and cannot do.

To me there are bigger issues with the development methodology and processes that are/were in place. The hope is that Stella and the new technical structure have/will address this.

As much as it pains me to say it the rest of the year should be used to get a good baseline for 2024 and prove out the development processes and structure.
Based on the new Technical Executive Team made up of Sanchez (car concept), Peter Prodromou (aerodynamics), ***Neil Houldey***(engineering and design), Alprin on his way and another 10 other not so famous names, Brown agrees.
*** insert "Marshall" ***
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 16:03
Will Red Bull ever lose two races this year cause if they don't that old record of the MP4-4 will break and I will hate if that happens cause Senna and Prost did that record fair and square.

Agreed... [-o< [-o<

MTudor
MTudor

Very interesting!
This is the same channel that said that Honda and AMR are very close to a deal,so they must have good sources.

djos

Balalu wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 10:33
That was painful...🤕
Not wrong, Oscar was great on the softs (although a bit timid on the start that cost him places), but had nothing on the hard and medium tires. As for Lando, that was a disaster!!! I dont understand why McLaren didnt just leave him out with the missing end-fence, seems like he'd have lost a lot less time and places.
"In downforce we trust"

MTudor
MTudor

A blast from the past

MTudor
MTudor

djos wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:35
Balalu wrote:
That was painful...🤕
Not wrong, Oscar was great on the softs (although a bit timid on the start that cost him places), but had nothing on the hard and medium tires. As for Lando, that was a disaster!!! I dont understand why McLaren didnt just leave him out with the missing end-fence, seems like he'd have lost a lot less time and places.
It very easy to judge from the front of ur tv!

djos

MTudor wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:40
djos wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:35
Balalu wrote:
That was painful...🤕
It very easy to judge from the front of ur tv!
It always is, however other drivers have managed a solid drive recently with a missing end fence. Eg Perez and Alonso at CotA last year.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

MTudor wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:28
Very interesting!
This is the same channel that said that Honda and AMR are very close to a deal,so they must have good sources.
The Rob Marshall theory certainly makes a lot of sense.
"In downforce we trust"

mwillems

MTudor wrote:
Very interesting!
I hope not, I don't want an association with Red Bull, or them credited with any success we might achieve in the future.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:58
MTudor wrote:
Very interesting!
I hope not, I don't want an association with Red Bull, or them credited with any success we might achieve in the future.
Or Mclaren wallop them with their own engine🤣
Just a fan's point of view

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MTudor wrote:
Very interesting!
Rob Marshall was the boss of the RBPT division before he announced the Mclaren technical director switch....

now you see...Rob knows more about the RBPT than he does the Mercedes and has a good relationship with the people there. This could give Mclaren a decisive advantage in developing their 2026 contender.
A lion must kill its prey.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:57
MTudor wrote:
Very interesting!
Rob Marshall was the boss of the RBPT division before he announced the Mclaren technical director switch....

now you see...Rob knows more about the RBPT than he does the Mercedes and has a good relationship with the people there. This could give Mclaren a decisive advantage in developing their 2026 contender.
Christian Horner: "I think initially [we will supply] just two [teams] because, as a start-up, as a brand new engine manufacturer, I think it would be overstretching ourselves if we went beyond that," he said.

"And I think that we just want to focus on servicing the two Red Bull teams first. We've had a lot of interest from other teams – at least two teams have shown interest. But we're not ready for that yet."

However, this could change in the future, with Horner adding: "We have a capacity to take on extra teams should we want to in future years, but probably for the first couple of years, we want to focus on just the Red Bull-owned teams as we establish the business, the trackside operations, all the things of supplying and delivering engines in a competitive environment."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.