2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Aston Martin have lodged a protest due to track limits on other cars.

alonsofan
alonsofan

Other teams have clearly made progress, while Aston hasn't moved. I was hoping with the Red Bull penalty and the extra wind tunnel time for Aston, they would catch the Bull, but.... Red Bull is so fast, they can basically start each race from the pit lane and win

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso could jump to P4 if both Norris and Sainz are penalised, as Sainz is less than 10 seconds ahead. Stroll could also jump Gasly. We'll see.

Bisonas

diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:31
Bisonas wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:10
KimiRai wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:01

I'll only speak on Fernando's pov because that was what I followed. I think the switch to Mediums was the right call, the mistake was not pitting on the first lap of VSC. Regardless no matter what strategy you choose you need to have pace in order to succeed, pace is the key to all strategies.
I also support Alonso, yes... But..
When you have the luxury of running 2 cars on lets say split/flexible strategies from the start, there is no excuse.
Stroll had to pit the first time he came by the pit entry under VSC. That's a fact. I was like WTF they are doing.
If Alonso had to also pit or not is another story, but for me, being on hards, and running the whole stint in clear air controlling his pace, i am pretty sure his tires could easily do another 10 laps posting competitive times. That would allow him faster and shorter medium stints right after. IMO they should have kept him out. It was a VSC and not a SC. If it was a SC that would be a different story.
Regardless pitting both cars one lap l8r, was inexcusable. They should apologize to the Drivers, especially to Stroll.
So when Fernando and the engineer where talking before the 2nd pit stop. Alonso asked what the strategy was. The answer was "it is still plan A - 5 laps". That tells me they wanted atleast another 5 laps on the hards. I say "atleast" cause I'm sure they had to run more laps on the first set of med than they had planned.
Yes, i heard that. As i said, IMO he could easily do another 10 laps with competitive times. Probably even more if he really wanted to extend. Don't forget he was running in clean air from the start so he could do his type management as he wanted. By doing that he could keep his strategy open and flexible. He could maybe extend the 1st stint doing a one stop race (if deg allowed it, which it didn't), or he could pit l8r under another VSC or SC if something happened in the race (which it didn't), and if nothing happened at the end (as that was the case at the end), he could do 2 "shorter" stints on the mediums in which he could be "more aggressive" following a faster delta trying to gain the time lost by not pitting under VSC. IMO he would be able to gain the time back, and do a faster race overall. But How much Alonso lost with that decision is nothing compared to how much Stroll lost by pitting a lap too late. The team's mistake in pitting them a lap l8r, along with the timing of VSC ending really compromised Stroll. Compromised him way more than Alonso.

At the end what happened didn't affect the results that much. Changed a bit the type of race (Strategy) Alonso was having and made life harder for Stroll. But we have to point out that mistakes where made by the team. Not for criticizing them in a bad way, but mainly for not repeating them in the future.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando finishes P5 and Lance P9 after the penalties, so 3 points away from Mercedes.
Last edited by KimiRai on 02 Jul 2023, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jambier

Curious to see the pace in Silverstone
I’m worried about Ferrari, and for McLaren I cannot believe that they will be that strong all the races

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 21:38
Curious to see the pace in Silverstone
I’m worried about Ferrari, and for McLaren I cannot believe that they will be that strong all the races
If Alonso had started on Mediums or there was no early safety car, Alonso would have passed Norris.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 21:43

Chris Medland [@ChrisMedlandF1]

Biggest moves there means Sainz down to P6, Norris up to P4 and Alonso P5. Hamilton down to P8 behind Russell, Gasly down to P10 behind Stroll
Norris was able to get away without a penalty somehow, but more points anyways.

diffuser

Bisonas wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 20:38
diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:31
Bisonas wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:10

I also support Alonso, yes... But..
When you have the luxury of running 2 cars on lets say split/flexible strategies from the start, there is no excuse.
Stroll had to pit the first time he came by the pit entry under VSC. That's a fact. I was like WTF they are doing.
If Alonso had to also pit or not is another story, but for me, being on hards, and running the whole stint in clear air controlling his pace, i am pretty sure his tires could easily do another 10 laps posting competitive times. That would allow him faster and shorter medium stints right after. IMO they should have kept him out. It was a VSC and not a SC. If it was a SC that would be a different story.
Regardless pitting both cars one lap l8r, was inexcusable. They should apologize to the Drivers, especially to Stroll.
So when Fernando and the engineer where talking before the 2nd pit stop. Alonso asked what the strategy was. The answer was "it is still plan A - 5 laps". That tells me they wanted atleast another 5 laps on the hards. I say "atleast" cause I'm sure they had to run more laps on the first set of med than they had planned.
Yes, i heard that. As i said, IMO he could easily do another 10 laps with competitive times. Probably even more if he really wanted to extend. Don't forget he was running in clean air from the start so he could do his type management as he wanted. By doing that he could keep his strategy open and flexible. He could maybe extend the 1st stint doing a one stop race (if deg allowed it, which it didn't), or he could pit l8r under another VSC or SC if something happened in the race (which it didn't), and if nothing happened at the end (as that was the case at the end), he could do 2 "shorter" stints on the mediums in which he could be "more aggressive" following a faster delta trying to gain the time lost by not pitting under VSC. IMO he would be able to gain the time back, and do a faster race overall. But How much Alonso lost with that decision is nothing compared to how much Stroll lost by pitting a lap too late. The team's mistake in pitting them a lap l8r, along with the timing of VSC ending really compromised Stroll. Compromised him way more than Alonso.

At the end what happened didn't affect the results that much. Changed a bit the type of race (Strategy) Alonso was having and made life harder for Stroll. But we have to point out that mistakes where made by the team. Not for criticizing them in a bad way, but mainly for not repeating them in the future.

What happened? The extra lap before pitting?

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari made it clear that their car didn't like long fast corners back in Barcelona(seems very improved), Aston had a mediocre weekend there(Barcelona) and everybody looked at other factors as to why...
The team having another quiet weekend in the RBR, makes me suspicious that the AMR23 also isn't particularly fond of long fast corners, Silverstone might give the definitive answer.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:52
peewon wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:23
diffuser wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 22:18

Pretty good strategy today. Honestly I can't remember the last strategy decision they made that went bad?
Monaco wasn't that long ago. Miami in quali. Even today, Alonso was 1 sec behind Norris, closing in. Norris pitted and for some reason AM waited 2 more laps to pit Alonso. Gap became 8-9 seconds.
They didn't lose positions in Monaco, it didn't change the outcome and TBH it was a tough call.

I don't remember what happened in quali in Miami.

Today, when they came out after the pit stop, they were still 5 seconds behind. It wasn't a stregy issue anyways. The pit crew wasn't ready. If anything they could have used that lap to NOT double stack Stroll
The double stacking screwed Stroll's race.

If anything, I feel the engineer is asking Alonso to do to much lift a coast during the race. They find themselves too far behind to catch up in the final stint.

What hurt Alonso today:
1- Car balance on 1st stint, Hards+high fuel was bad(oversteer in some corners, understeer in others). Although, it got less pronounced on the Med, you have to believe it was still there, gutting pace.
2- Early safety car on hards, you always want to go long on hards. They would have liked to have gone another 5-10 laps on hards in that first stint. Would have had much more pace on the last 2 med stints.
I disagree about Monaco. Luck gave them the opportunity to win (a fairly obvious call imo) and they blew it. Had they gone onto the inters the first time they would have come out ahead of Verstappen and won. If it stopped raining soon and inters turned out to be the wrong call, they had enough gap to pit for slicks again and keep 2nd. The cars behind them all pitted for inters on the same lap. There was no risk in going on inters and all the possible reward. It was a dumb error and even Horner said they let RB off the hook with that call.

Probably could've let Alonso stretch the first stint in clean air and pit for much fresher tires than others. But then to pit a lap late and both cars on the same lap shows a lack of awareness and decision paralysis. Their best chance was to undercut Norris because their deg was better than Norris. Alonso was catching Norris and would've passed him before Norris pitted. Instead they wait two extra laps.

In Miami they tried to get through to Q2 on one run when a super green track (freshly relaid) was evolving rapidly. Alonso barely made it through by couple of tenths and Lance got knocked out event though they had the second quickest car.

diffuser

I Agree Miami was an error. Monaco, I disagree. If it had stopped raining, people would have said, "Oh what a great strategy". Strategy isn't checking the weather forcast.

organic

Silverstone, Hungary have long corners.. if this really is a weakness of the car it could be a tricky few races

Andres125sx

DGP123 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:42
I said AMR would stagnate over the season, and wouldn’t be able to improve the initial concept.

I do wonder how long Alonso hangs around for. The honeymoon is over now.
Good post... if you were trying to explain what an overreaction means :P

this season differences are almost non-existant, any small problem, some tenth down, and you go from podium to p12. This season it´s this tight, so keep calm, one race out of the podium fight does not mean the car is a sitting duck, only that in that race it was not great

peewon

diffuser wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 10:26
I Agree Miami was an error. Monaco, I disagree. If it had stopped raining, people would have said, "Oh what a great strategy". Strategy isn't checking the weather forcast.
If it stopped raining, they would've finished exactly where they did anyway because they already had a pit stop gap to Ocon. Which is why it was an obvious call. Strategy is evaluating the risk reward matrix in real time and making optimal decisions. Here they were presented with no risk and highest reward possible scenario and they botched it. Even if there was a scenario where they could've lost 2nd place to gamble for a race win, I would go for it. For a guy like Fernando, he may not get that opportunity ever again. There's only maybe 1 or 2 races a season which has a fluke winner.