2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:39
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:18
I think they’ll be in for some pain in Silverstone.
Maybe.

When I look at the numbers more closely. Alonso is braking harder and later than Norris all the time. Norris tends to brake earlier, set himself up for the corner, carry more speed in and out of the corners. This is giving Norris an speed edge coming out of the corners that he is able to maintain down the straights. It appears that Alonso has more confidence than Norris with their cars under braking but that confidence is costing Alonso time.
I wonder how much of that is car characteristics vs Alonso's driving style. Usually it's a sign that the car doesn't turn in as sharply at speed. Kinda reminds me of early RB18. This may not be an issue they can resolve mid season with upgrades.

vas_04614
vas_04614

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:15
vas_04614 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 09:14
So as per THE RACE podcast, AMR struggles if circuit has wide range of corners that is high speed and low speed ones needing car car ride to be set up not very low (for DF) and also not very high. They can't get that good compromise optimum setup to work in high speed and low speed.

For me this tells me canada upgrade (which dan fallows said is get car working in all types of circuits) is yet to work as expected.

Hopefully If they can improve on that set up this week and also the new strong front tyres this week as suggested in some articles work in improving the front grip might help them in doing better relative to Austria
Based on this https://i.ibb.co/vsnLkrP/Screenshot-fro ... -07-59.png image of Norris's fastest lap vs Alonso in the shootout. Their problem is still top speed.
Yeah, if we compare it to canada where their top was not that bad and canada doesn't have any high speed corners so they could set up car for low DF

Now Austria 2nd half is complete high speed as you know and was following mini sectors + gap with Merc/Lando/Fer in race and AM was clearly better from last half of 2nd sector till last part of final sector. Looks like they went for high DF and drag issue still there.

I think they improved drag in low DF config but not in highish DF setup. That's where strong front tyres may help if they can setup car with little low DF while those strong tyres help in corners (i am not sure about tyres, but this is what i understand from reading couple of f1 news articles).

diffuser

peewon wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:57
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:39
AR3-GP wrote:
Maybe.

When I look at the numbers more closely. Alonso is braking harder and later than Norris all the time. Norris tends to brake earlier, set himself up for the corner, carry more speed in and out of the corners. This is giving Norris an speed edge coming out of the corners that he is able to maintain down the straights. It appears that Alonso has more confidence than Norris with their cars under braking but that confidence is costing Alonso time.
I wonder how much of that is car characteristics vs Alonso's driving style. Usually it's a sign that the car doesn't turn in as sharply at speed. Kinda reminds me of early RB18. This may not be an issue they can resolve mid season with upgrades.
Yeah, no idea. I would presume that would be something they would talk about between free practices, which there were none of in Austria. Only changes you'll make going into Q1 is any change you know will work or will be quick to undo.

diffuser

The other thing I noticed that I can't find a stat for is that Norris was regularly 2 -5 tenth slower in sector 2 than Alonso. Their fastest sector were close, Alonso had a few thousands on Norris but if we were to average the gap over every lap of the race in that sector, it would be large. Was Norris was going slower in that section to save tires?

Alonso was Regularly slower in the First and last sectors till they made a Deployment change in the last stint. What that change was or why they waited for Alonso to complain about deployment, I don't know.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
It could well be the case, hopefully there is hot weather to help us out (that's the forecast so far thankfully).

peewon

diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 18:29
The other thing I noticed that I can't find a stat for is that Norris was regularly 2 -5 tenth slower in sector 2 than Alonso. Their fastest sector were close, Alonso had a few thousands on Norris but if we were to average the gap over every lap of the race in that sector, it would be large. Was Norris was going slower in that section to save tires?

Alonso was Regularly slower in the First and last sectors till they made a Deployment change in the last stint. What that change was or why they waited for Alonso to complain about deployment, I don't know.
Yeah very strange. Seems like deployment issues have followed Nando around from Alpine. Hopefully it was some dumb error or setup mistake which can rectified easily.

max_speed
max_speed

My bet is that Aston will either be 4th or 5th fastest team in silverstone. Let's see how close it turns out to be.

Andres125sx

DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 13:00
DGP123 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:42
I said AMR would stagnate over the season, and wouldn’t be able to improve the initial concept.

I do wonder how long Alonso hangs around for. The honeymoon is over now.
Good post... if you were trying to explain what an overreaction means :P
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

As I said, the honeymoon is over.

Good job cementig the overeaction example =D>

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 15:10
Two practice sessions since upgrade… two…
One of them with wet or damp/cold track, but airmchair experts know the potential of the upgrades even before they´re dialed in :lol:

PinkFloydPulse

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 12:26
DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 13:00

Good post... if you were trying to explain what an overreaction means :P
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

As I said, the honeymoon is over.

Good job cementig the overeaction example =D>

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 15:10
Two practice sessions since upgrade… two…
One of them with wet or damp/cold track, but airmchair experts know the potential of the upgrades even before they´re dialed in :lol:
I don't know why people even expect AMR to challenge RB the whole season... Or even to stay 2nd fastest all year long... NO ONE expected their pace to be that good at the start of the season, where ever they finish this year, will be better than last, with building a great foundation for next year as well, and all the podiums or wins or what ever should just be considered a bonus... I feel the people expect them to be WDC and WCC this year... chill dear people! Chill! :D
Team Fernando!

Juzh

diffuser wrote:
vas_04614 wrote:
So as per THE RACE podcast, AMR struggles if circuit has wide range of corners that is high speed and low speed ones needing car car ride to be set up not very low (for DF) and also not very high. They can't get that good compromise optimum setup to work in high speed and low speed.

For me this tells me canada upgrade (which dan fallows said is get car working in all types of circuits) is yet to work as expected.

Hopefully If they can improve on that set up this week and also the new strong front tyres this week as suggested in some articles work in improving the front grip might help them in doing better relative to Austria
Based on this https://i.ibb.co/vsnLkrP/Screenshot-fro ... -07-59.png image of Norris's fastest lap vs Alonso in the shootout. Their problem is still top speed.
It's weird because in qualifying on friday mclaren held almost no advantage over aston on straight, except on the very top end, but that was mainly down to Norris doing his best lap in relatively close proximity of Sainz ahead (alonso had no slipstream, I checked):
look at time delta trace

Somehow in shootout a day later they gained much more time straights, even without slipstream. Norris is noticably gaining on any full throttle section

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 14:59
diffuser wrote:
vas_04614 wrote:

It's weird because in qualifying on friday mclaren held almost no advantage over aston on straight, except on the very top end, but that was mainly down to Norris doing his best lap in relatively close proximity of Sainz ahead (alonso had no slipstream, I checked):
look at time delta trace
https://i.imgur.com/hKLN4mz.png

Somehow in shootout a day later they gained much more time straights, even without slipstream. Norris is noticably gaining on any full throttle section
https://i.imgur.com/BpbWUkm.png
It's possible that different cooling configuration/effectiveness determines how much they can use the MGU-K. Over 1 lap you don't care about the thermals. Over the race distance you have to manage the thermals. At high altitude cooling can be more of a challenge. Mercedes struggled in 2019 with overheating and had to turn their PUs way down.

It was also mentioned that towards the end of the race, Alonso switched modes and was a bit quicker. Since they are going at higher speeds on low fuel towards the end of the race, the cooling would be increased which might enable more power to be used.

All speculation though.
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin F1 announces a one-off livery for the British GP due to new partnership with lubricant maker Valvoline.

Also, according to Krack's original roadmap there should be something coming to Silverstone, but if there is (or not), according to someone else it would be a small update so nothing big.

GoranF1
GoranF1

KimiRai wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:55
Alonso:

Well you always expect a bit more, especially with this year's streak of podiums so you always have the hope of being faster in the race but we didn't go very well the whole weekend, during the race we maintained the same level of pace. We have to understand why, last year in Austria Aston Martin was the 10th team I think, this year we suffered again, Haas was quick in Austria last year starting 6th and 7th and this year it's the same so patters sometimes are repeated year on year, we'll have to understand so next year we won't be slow here again.
In the end we got a little bit closer to Mercedes adding both the Sprint and today, we lost points with Ferrari who have taken a step forward, but it's what it is and each weekend there will be ups and downs for everyone, it was our turn this time but we have a chance for revenge next week.
How was Aston in Silverstone last year?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

AMG.Tzan

What? Valvoline?

If you're going to race a one-off Valvoline livery at least do it properly:

Though that was in CART :P
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

NAPI10
NAPI10

KimiRai wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 15:19
Aston Martin F1 announces a one-off livery for the British GP due to new partnership with lubricant maker Valvoline.

Also, according to Krack's original roadmap there should be something coming to Silverstone, but if there is (or not), according to someone else it would be a small update so nothing big.

https://i.imgur.com/3dwaKN7.png

AM should run with florescent green livery at least once during the season [-o< [-o<