2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Juzh wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 14:59
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 16:15
vas_04614 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 09:14
So as per THE RACE podcast, AMR struggles if circuit has wide range of corners that is high speed and low speed ones needing car car ride to be set up not very low (for DF) and also not very high. They can't get that good compromise optimum setup to work in high speed and low speed.

For me this tells me canada upgrade (which dan fallows said is get car working in all types of circuits) is yet to work as expected.

Hopefully If they can improve on that set up this week and also the new strong front tyres this week as suggested in some articles work in improving the front grip might help them in doing better relative to Austria
Based on this https://i.ibb.co/vsnLkrP/Screenshot-fro ... -07-59.png image of Norris's fastest lap vs Alonso in the shootout. Their problem is still top speed.
It's weird because in qualifying on friday mclaren held almost no advantage over aston on straight, except on the very top end, but that was mainly down to Norris doing his best lap in relatively close proximity of Sainz ahead (alonso had no slipstream, I checked):
look at time delta trace
https://i.imgur.com/hKLN4mz.png

Somehow in shootout a day later they gained much more time straights, even without slipstream. Norris is noticably gaining on any full throttle section
https://i.imgur.com/BpbWUkm.png
I replied to myself after this post, after I dug deeper into the data on the laps I was comparing, that it was actually Norris braking earlier but carrying more speed in the corner which led to him having more speed on exit and maintaining that small advantage all the way down the straight.

zoroastar

DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 13:00
DGP123 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 16:42
I said AMR would stagnate over the season, and wouldn’t be able to improve the initial concept.

I do wonder how long Alonso hangs around for. The honeymoon is over now.
Good post...
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

As I said, the honeymoon is over.
it appears that a few people have been just waiting on this to happen. because obviously, if it wasnt for newey, f1 cars would be shaped like bricks. and alonso would have burned the whole paddock by now. with alonso, aston has become the perfect storm (conspiracy). every track that aston doesnt get a podium brings them one step closer to disaster.

i sure hope they beat redbull this weekend, or it could be the end of life as we know it.

KimiRai
KimiRai

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 15:32

How was Aston in Silverstone last year?
For a more in depth review youd have to rewatch the weekend. I remember they brought updates here last year. Both knocked out in Q1 and that lap 1 collision and lots of retirements helped Seb to finish 9th and Lance 11th. Only 14 cars finished though.

vorticism

Is Strulovitch Jr. becoming the first pay driver to bring a net negative financial contribution to a team? The 87 pt gap to Alonso must be having even Sr. considering ways to get more points. A 1:5 ratio on points intra team, when else has this been seen?
𓄀

KimiRai
KimiRai

vorticism wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 18:01
Is Strulovitch Jr. becoming the first pay driver to bring a net negative financial contribution to a team? The 87 pt gap to Alonso must be having even Sr. considering ways to get more points. A 1:5 ratio on points intra team, when else has this been seen?
How would it be net negative. Lance's part of the Stroll package and this entire team wouldn't be possible without the Strolls, literally, so more than net positive. He's not that bad anyways.

It's not 1:5 ratio, it's 1:3. Fernando also had a slightly higher than 1:3 ratio against Raikkonen in 2014 and he wasn't a pay driver.
Last edited by KimiRai on 05 Jul 2023, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

vorticism

True, was thinking it was ~ 140 vs 30, it is 130 vs 40.
KimiRai wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 18:09
How would it be net negative.
Sponsors, podiums, visibility, and prize money. Does the team want a reputation of nepotism over merit, etc.
𓄀

yinlad

vorticism wrote:
Considering Alonso is a multiple time world champ, has had a faultless season and Lance started this year with 1 functioning limb and no testing at all, this is a pretty stupid comment to be making. But people just can't help themselves can they...

Had the VSC not ended Lance's race in Austria by ending at exactly the wrong time he was looking at having beaten Alonso in quali twice in 3 races and an equal points haul in those two races. That's just main races and excluding the sprint race at Austria.

The pace has been close enough for any team pairing, I expect a closer points haul from this point onwards
MVRC - Panthera

diffuser

peewon wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 04:48
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 18:29
The other thing I noticed that I can't find a stat for is that Norris was regularly 2 -5 tenth slower in sector 2 than Alonso. Their fastest sector were close, Alonso had a few thousands on Norris but if we were to average the gap over every lap of the race in that sector, it would be large. Was Norris was going slower in that section to save tires?

Alonso was Regularly slower in the First and last sectors till they made a Deployment change in the last stint. What that change was or why they waited for Alonso to complain about deployment, I don't know.
Yeah very strange. Seems like deployment issues have followed Nando around from Alpine. Hopefully it was some dumb error or setup mistake which can rectified easily.
I wouldn't say it was a problem. the engineer just said "try this, it's more efficient". Right away I noticed the difference in the sector time.

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 17:32
DGP123 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Jul 2023, 13:00

Good post...
Thank you. Seems that since this was posted, a few now tending to agree, that AMR are now starting to go backwards and a tough period of races is coming up.

Dan Fallows bought the initial concept and ideas from RB, but now he can’t call upon Newey, his upgrade doesn’t seem to have bought any performance. No surprise really. I sense over the next few weeks and months, Alonso will start to express his frustrations more publicly. Watch this space.

As I said, the honeymoon is over.
it appears that a few people have been just waiting on this to happen. because obviously, if it wasnt for newey, f1 cars would be shaped like bricks. and alonso would have burned the whole paddock by now. with alonso, aston has become the perfect storm (conspiracy). every track that aston doesnt get a podium brings them one step closer to disaster.

i sure hope they beat redbull this weekend, or it could be the end of life as we know it.
LOL

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 18:09
vorticism wrote:
How would it be net negative. Lance's part of the Stroll package and this entire team wouldn't be possible without the Strolls, literally, so more than net positive. He's not that bad anyways.

It's not 1:5 ratio, it's 1:3. Fernando also had a slightly higher than 1:3 ratio against Raikkonen in 2014 and he wasn't a pay driver.
He might be the first driver to pay another driver to beat him :)

KimiRai
KimiRai

Special helmet for Fernando too. Looks cool!

peewon

diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 22:19
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 18:29
The other thing I noticed that I can't find a stat for is that Norris was regularly 2 -5 tenth slower in sector 2 than Alonso. Their fastest sector were close, Alonso had a few thousands on Norris but if we were to average the gap over every lap of the race in that sector, it would be large. Was Norris was going slower in that section to save tires?

Alonso was Regularly slower in the First and last sectors till they made a Deployment change in the last stint. What that change was or why they waited for Alonso to complain about deployment, I don't know.
Yeah very strange. Seems like deployment issues have followed Nando around from Alpine. Hopefully it was some dumb error or setup mistake which can rectified easily.
I wouldn't say it was a problem. the engineer just said "try this, it's more efficient". Right away I noticed the difference in the sector time.
Its kinda bizarre that a minor adjustment which apparently made a significant difference in lap time wasn't figured out till the absolute end of the weekend. Which again doesn't give me too much confidence in their track operations. Alonso said after Miami that they dialed in the car at the last minute, right before qualifying, which again begs the question how much performance is left out there on certain weekends.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 06:40
Its kinda bizarre that a minor adjustment which apparently made a significant difference in lap time wasn't figured out till the absolute end of the weekend. Which again doesn't give me too much confidence in their track operations. Alonso said after Miami that they dialed in the car at the last minute, right before qualifying, which again begs the question how much performance is left out there on certain weekends.
Like the wind tunnel, the simulator will have to wait until 2024. Maybe it has something to do with the sim. Someone like Fernando in the team will make sure that those potential weak areas need to be addressed, as long as they listen to him. According to some people his track record would superficially (and ignorantly) say otherwise, but I'd like to think he'll want to prove that's not the case, that there won't be another person working harder for the team as well in order to lead by example.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 06:40
diffuser wrote:
05 Jul 2023, 22:19
peewon wrote:

Think that is common in the F1 world. Sometimes they go to the track and are on it from the get go. Other times they need to figure it out. Sometimes they figure it out early, Sometimes late, and other times they just never do. Remember, last year, it happened to RBR at Brazil. They got it wrong. It was a sprint weekend but it emphasized that it doesn't just work, even for the best teams.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

may be protect Stroll.