2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
EJ22B
EJ22B

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

max_speed wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:21
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:16
max_speed wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:11

Yes this is my main point.somehow somewhere he has lost this edge that other drivers have.
Yeah. I don't know about that but he didn't improve in turns 13 and 14.

He had messed up 13 twice before by over throttling it. He didn't this time....He looked like he got understeer...maybe he went to hot....I don’t know if they changed a diff setting and that made the difference....

Remember, the closer to the edge you are, the easier it is to make a mistake.

Max didn't get quicker in his 2nd lap, maybe he's old too?
With Max its an exception today with Alonso it is becoming a pattern. This thing gets ignored because his team member is stroll. Just think alonso is teammate of verstappen and this happens. He will be roasted same way perez is being done. I still rate him among very best on grid so this patterm is not acceptable
Alonso's quali lap weakness was evident against Ocon at Alpine. Ocon is at best a solid qualifier but nothing special so i expected Alonso to dominate him but they ended up as a match for each other.

It's not a speed issue. It's the ability to put together all three sectors. Alonso was always few tenths faster than Ocon over a lap but very rarely put it together.

Sadly, I think we are starting the decline of Alonso's abilities as a top tier formula 1 driver. His race management is still at a high level but that will also start deteriorating in a season or two.
Last edited by EJ22B on 22 Jul 2023, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
diffuser wrote:
max_speed wrote:

Yes this is my main point.somehow somewhere he has lost this edge that other drivers have.

He had messed up 13 twice before by over throttling it. He didn't this time....He looked like he got understeer...maybe he went to hot....I don’t know if they changed a diff setting and that made the difference....

With Max its an exception today with Alonso it is becoming a pattern. This thing gets ignored because his team member is stroll. Just think alonso is teammate of verstappen and this happens. He will be roasted same way perez is being done. I still rate him among very best on grid so this patterm is not acceptable
Max has had a car that was atleast .5 of second per lap edge, no pressure. Pretty easy to put in a better lap. We have no idea how much time he was leaving on the table. Basically, the only time he's challenged all year he doesn't deliver.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 13:59
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 13:49
There is a good possibility of them doing really well in the race tomorrow(making the track very green again). High chance of raining over night, very hot tomorrow and the race starts one hour earlier than qualifying.

We might see a 3 stopper tomorrow.
I dont think they have the outright pace. I also dont think their strategy department is one of the better ones. Dumb luck with a safety car situation like Silverstone could get them up around 7-8th which is the best they can hope for.
Think the safety car hurt them @ Silverstone.

I agree, their quali pace has been weak all year.

alonsofan
alonsofan

diffuser wrote:
max_speed wrote:
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:05
If Alonso would have had the same S3 as the lap before he would have been 4th.
Yeah. I don't know about that but he didn't improve in turns 13 and 14. He was faster overall.

Exactly. Same with Hammie

alonsofan
alonsofan

selvam_e2002 wrote:
behind alpha
:( :( :(

peewon

diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:37
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 13:49
There is a good possibility of them doing really well in the race tomorrow(making the track very green again). High chance of raining over night, very hot tomorrow and the race starts one hour earlier than qualifying.

We might see a 3 stopper tomorrow.
I dont think they have the outright pace. I also dont think their strategy department is one of the better ones. Dumb luck with a safety car situation like Silverstone could get them up around 7-8th which is the best they can hope for.

No, it definitely helped them. Bunch of drivers ahead pitted as soon as VSC was declared and AM and one other team didnt. Then it was upgraded to full safety car on the next lap. You can say that they were clever and knew full SC was going to happen but honestly just seems like dumb luck to me.

alonsofan
alonsofan

diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:34
max_speed wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Max has had a car that was atleast .5 of second per lap edge, no pressure. Pretty easy to put in a better lap. We have no idea how much time he was leaving on the table. Basically, the only time he's challenged all year he doesn't deliver.
=D> =D> =D> Mex is over rated just like Seb and Ric. All Red Bull drivers are Senna's in Red Bull's, and at best average drivers in other cars.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:40
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:37
peewon wrote:

No, it definitely helped them. Bunch of drivers ahead pitted as soon as VSC was declared and AM and one other team didnt. Then it was upgraded to full safety car on the next lap. You can say that they were clever and knew full SC was going to happen but honestly just seems like dumb luck to me.
VSC came out about 100m after Alonso went past the pit entry.

If you're watching on F1TV, there is a 8 second delay from where Alonso is on the track to the Engineer's Audio. So Alonso and the Engineer are discussing which plan. Stroll pits on "plan A" and the Enginner says where going to "plan B". So the engineer says "stay out", they go by the pit entry and the VSC is declared.

diffuser

alonsofan wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:45
diffuser wrote:
max_speed wrote:

=D> =D> =D> Mex is over rated just like Seb and Ric. All Red Bull drivers are Senna's in Red Bull's, and at best average drivers in other cars.
I don't know how you can say that.

BTW, I wasn't serious that Max was old, just trying to point out that it's easier to make a mistake when you have to go right to the edge to move improve.

alonsofan
alonsofan

Alpine is bringing new parts to Belgium, so probably they will also make a move on us. Interesting times. I guess we can forget the Singapore victory now.

max_speed
max_speed

diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 18:09
alonsofan wrote:
diffuser wrote:

BTW, I wasn't serious that Max was old, just trying to point out that it's easier to make a mistake when you have to go right to the edge to move improve.
You missing my point. Doing once a while is ok. If its happening frequently its pattern. I am very big Alo fan and want him to one more championship before he retires but this habit might come in winning way.

alonsofan
alonsofan

EJ22B wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 17:33
max_speed wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Alonso's quali lap weakness was evident against Ocon at Alpine. Ocon is at best a solid qualifier but nothing special so i expected Alonso to dominate him but they ended up as a match for each other.

It's not a speed issue. It's the ability to put together all three sectors. Alonso was always few tenths faster than Ocon over a lap but very rarely put it together.

Sadly, I think we are starting the decline of Alonso's abilities as a top tier formula 1 driver. His race management is still at a high level but that will also start deteriorating in a season or two.
Alpine was biased towards Ocon. That guy literally allowed 2-3 cars to go by him while making sure that Alo stays behind him. Had it not been for the bias and the reliability issues, Alo would have certainly been ahead of Ocon.

And mind you, these guys are nearly 20 years younger than him.

Fact is Alo performing better as usual than his teammate and taking the car where it shouldn't be, and these errors are probably because of trying too hard.

In quali in Monaco aswell, I saw so many drivers brushing the wall, and still getting away because of sheer luck. Never did I see a single clip where Alo brushed the wall.

I think he's still at the top as far as performance is concerned, and the mistakes will go away as the car improves and becomes competitive.

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 18:34
diffuser wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 18:09
alonsofan wrote:

You missing my point. Doing once a while is ok. If its happening frequently its pattern. I am very big Alo fan and want him to one more championship before he retires but this habit might come in winning way.
Max is 0 for 1, the one time he had to, he didn't....and again Alonso improved, just noting other in the last sector.

vas_04614
vas_04614

vas_04614 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:07
Just taking step back and looking at it. No team was really slow today.

Don't think even VER lapped any car today, race was, pace-wise very different from other races.

Hards/Med didn't have deg advantage over softs in first stint and Softs didn't have any pace advantage in last stint.

May be because of new tyres!!! Have to see what teams say going into next race
I think ALO said same thing in TV Pen today, new tyre construction has changed cars performance.

Is it purely tyre related? or tyre is affecting aero? its for teams to figure that out but things have changed and its for bad w.r.t AM.

mvfad

Aston Martin's work on upgrades has been pretty bad. This is the reality, unfortunately.
We can only hope that the reason for this weak development is that they would be focused on the 2024 car, but I doubt it.