2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PinkFloydPulse

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Alonso Fan wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:57
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:46
Yes, we see quite well how it affected RB… :D Let’s cut the crap guys, car went backwards and that’s it… While others rebuilt their cars during the year AM did very little and those are facts :)
Always remember the car had to go forwards to go backwards. I said it before and I'll say it again. No one here appreciated it when we were scoring podiums left right and centre. Consistent top 10 was always the target form the beginning. When the team started overachieving everyone jumped on the bandwagon and treated Aston like a top team. The truth is it's still far from that. If 2 or 3 years from now the team is still targeting and achieving this same thing then I'll agree we have an alpine problem. Until then there will be many ups and downs. No need to go after people's heads because of it.
I said it a couple of times, everything good that has happened since the start of the year should be treated as a bonus and a sideffect of them moving to a good direction. Not their fault Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Alpine messed up royally at the start of their season. But people expected them to compete with RB from the first race and made a hype so big that no one ever expects anything than podiums from a team that is still not ready for that…
Team Fernando!

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

As expected comments are showing frustration. From 2nd best to maybe 5th or 6th now. Good 75 seconds behind Max. Mclaren has made a good jump, using some design elements from AM. Unless the 2024 car is on a different aero philosophy compared to 2023 one, focusing on next year makes no sense. It will be interesting to see how they cope with this do they come back up or keep going backwards 🤔
Last edited by nowaysthatsreal on 23 Jul 2023, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

max_speed wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:09
There is difference between an innovator and an copier. Time scale is revealing how overrated he has been.
max_speed wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:29
First they copied mercedes and this year redbull and now copy talent is exhausted. There is lot of similiarity if you compare 2 years their upgrades failed. I must admit this year cooying has been bit more effective.
max_speed wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:01
All excuses, incapable folks hide behind excuses. Keep defending them soon they will be behind williams then we will look for another one.
DGP123 wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:23
Said the honeymoon was over a while ago. Unfortunately, AM are now in the doldrums. Upgrade direction has been a shocker. If only Fallows could just nip back into the MK office on Monday, and find those other notes of Newey’s he didn’t take.

Be amazed if Alonso sticks around, if this continues into next year.
alonsofan wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 16:02
I would be happy to swallow my words, but "Fallows to the Gallows" for me.
It's talking to a wall but you have to zoom out the timescale. F1 surely depends on milliseconds but projects thankfully are not planned to come to fruition on such small amounts of time.

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

diffuser wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 11:29
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 06:56
Clearly someone like a nando would be faster on one lap if he was driving AMR but not at the cost of FA, Lance needs to be replaced by someone who can match FA or do better. The points table would look different if Lance was scoring when competition was struggling with their cars. But lack of pace specifically for this track is concerning. Updates did not get em closer to RB, and that’s strange given the wind tunnel time they had.
Yep, they haven't had much in upgrades aside from the Canada one. So maybe they have diverted significant resources to 2024 early on.

I keep thinking that they've been saying all Along that they haven't been expecting this huge uptic in performance. They might have been already planning to take what they'd learned and roll it into the following year's car.

They need to increase the undercut even more, remove the kick out from the side pods and improve performance from the floor.

I had no faith in Canada updates, as the wording was it will allow board setup range , other ones we’re making DRS efficient. None of the updates were backed by any official comment saying we expect few tenth’s or more with this update. So it’s a mystery what they have been working on and what they felt car needs to move forward. I think chasing that straight line deficit got them into this mess.. but again we don’t know and can only guess

Alonso Fan

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 17:24
Alonso Fan wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

Yes, we see quite well how it affected RB… :D Let’s cut the crap guys, car went backwards and that’s it… While others rebuilt their cars during the year AM did very little and those are facts :)
Always remember the car had to go forwards to go backwards. I said it before and I'll say it again. No one here appreciated it when we were scoring podiums left right and centre. Consistent top 10 was always the target form the beginning. When the team started overachieving everyone jumped on the bandwagon and treated Aston like a top team. The truth is it's still far from that. If 2 or 3 years from now the team is still targeting and achieving this same thing then I'll agree we have an alpine problem. Until then there will be many ups and downs. No need to go after people's heads because of it.
I said it a couple of times, everything good that has happened since the start of the year should be treated as a bonus and a sideffect of them moving to a good direction. Not their fault Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Alpine messed up royally at the start of their season. But people expected them to compete with RB from the first race and made a hype so big that no one ever expects anything than podiums from a team that is still not ready for that…
100% my thoughts exactly
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Jambier

Optimistic mode:

- They had a car much better than expected in early season
- Hence they thought it was enough for 23’
- Hence they used all extra CFD and R&D for 24’

Realistic mode:

- They waste extra CFD
- And only did the poor Canada package
- Hence slowly drowning into the midfield

alonsofan
alonsofan

PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

The team owner Lawrence Stroll is ambitious and wanted a double podium in Canada, but fans are being mediocre and saying, we improved so much from last year, that unnecessary hype was created.

The owner of the team wanting the team to score podiums is also hype? C'mon

By that thinking, we shouldn't have made the huge step at the start, and should have gradually developed over the season. That would have been better for the team.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

alonsofan wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 21:22
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

The team owner Lawrence Stroll is ambitious and wanted a double podium in Canada, but fans are being mediocre and saying, we improved so much from last year, that unnecessary hype was created.

I share a similar assessment. It's bollocks to fall back on "this is where we thought we would be and the beginning of the season was a bonus". What would be worthwhile is understanding why they have not made the logical progression that was expected given their additional WT hours. If it's because they devoted more time to '24 car instead, then so be it. If it's because ideas have failed in the wind tunnel, then that's a different problem entirely which needs review.

The fact that Alonso is now blaming the tires is concerning because it means they don't have a clue why they are slow internally and are now looking for outside variables. I don't believe a tire change could cause this.
A lion must kill its prey.

zoroastar

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:03
alonsofan wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

I share a similar assessment. It's bollocks to fall back on "this is where we thought we would be and the beginning of the season was a bonus". What would be worthwhile is understanding why they have not made the logical progression that was expected given their additional WT hours. If it's because they devoted more time to '24 car instead, then so be it. If it's because ideas have failed in the wind tunnel, then that's a different problem entirely which needs review.

The fact that Alonso is now blaming the tires is concerning because it means they don't have a clue why they are slow internally and are now looking for outside variables. I don't believe a tire change could cause this.
there arent any teams struggling with their tires anymore. this is a huge deal when that was one of astons strengths this season. ferrari has always been on pace with AM but aston could beat them a lot of times because of tire management. not to mention mclarens tire management up until a couple of races ago. it doesnt say anything about teams upgrades but its a huge freaking deal when that is one of your cars main strengths.

zoroastar

this forum is funny. a bunch of mad jokers with i told you so's and people who claim to love alonso but every time hes not on the podium claiming that hes finally showing his age and, hes about fall off that proverbial cliff. i dont know which is worse. watching their form on track for the last few races, or watching this thread haha.

PinkFloydPulse

alonsofan wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

By that thinking, we shouldn't have made the huge step at the start, and should have gradually developed over the season. That would have been better for the team.
what are you talking about?! :D Every team owner is and should be ambitious and should want to win and have double podiums all the time, it's not hype, it's how it should be. The only ones who made hype around AM are the media with their expectations, click bait titles and wishes of a success story where a middle of the pack team has found some holy grail and will from now on be a front row contender... And let's not even talk about fans who are now sad and sour because their dreams and wishes have not come true and the team is taking a piss from their "fans" because of that...
C'mon guys...
Team Fernando!

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 22:03
alonsofan wrote:
PinkFloydPulse wrote:

Alonso also said that they're near the bottom in number of upgrades they have brought. Why that is, I don't know.

f1universe
f1universe

I won't be surprised if the season is over for AM in terms of being truly competitive. Enjoy the early season podiums, I guess.

organic

So far AMR brought a new floor, new sidepods, new front wing , right?

To me that is pretty significant amount of upgrades by Silverstone. Similar to # by Ferrari, RB, Merc

alonsofan
alonsofan

organic wrote:
24 Jul 2023, 09:25
So far AMR brought a new floor, new sidepods, new front wing , right?

To me that is pretty significant amount of upgrades by Silverstone. Similar to # by Ferrari, RB, Merc
If I'm not wrong, RB has updated their sidepods 2 times this season. And that is despite the Wind Tunnel penalty. Merc completely changed the philosophy of their car. In comparison, I don't feel we have done much, especially considering the wind tunnel advantage, and Fallows saying at the start of the season, that it's a solid base from where they can develop the car forward.