2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mvfad

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Alonso would finish the race more than 20s behind Hamilton and he always had a clear track.
I can't see this as good race pace.

organic

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This was determined by fans over a month ago….
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:45
This was determined by fans over a month ago….
Indeed but it's nice to hear from the horse's mouth

diffuser

mvfad wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:30
Alonso would finish the race more than 20s behind Hamilton and he always had a clear track.
I can't see this as good race pace.
Yet he was 7 seconds ahead of Russell. Can't see that as being a bad outing either. They need upgrades but this was fantastic points for another step towards locking in 4th.

diffuser

ALO_Power wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:09
diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:46
-Great drive by #14.
-Great strategy by Aston (going early to Mediums).
-Good car setup/balance for the race.
Probably would be better if they started the race on Soft, cause that 1st stint on Mediums felt like a wrong choice.
Wouldn't change the race position in the end it seems, though, given the difference to Hamilton.
Hard to say on a full tank and a green track.

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
That one is debatable, I didn't watch the onboard but DLR said Fernando had a lot of oversteer. He had a close call coming out of turn 16.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Krack: "There are a couple things for Zandvoort. We have to close the gap."

Fernando: "We have to improve, there's no doubt. Even though today the race has gone well and we scored good points we couldn't fight for the podium and it was a bit far away, and we have to improve. So now we are going to the summer break, this result will surely help the team morale and we leave with less weight on our shoulders because the last few races were adding a bit of pressure on the team. Today we have shown we still have some good pace and we need to improve yes, but not rushing and taking a look at the championship on a more general level."

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:38
diffuser wrote:
That one is debatable, I didn't watch the onboard but DLR said Fernando had a lot of oversteer. He had a close call coming out of turn 16.
He did but when asked about the balance by his engineer, he said "a little oversteer but I'm OK with it". He preferred it to understeer.

Obviously, if we could offer him more rear DF with a better front end and the same or less drag he'd take it.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:25
organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:47
peewon wrote:

They are solidly the 5th best team ahead of Alpine, although they are not a million miles behind so finishing in the points should be straight forward. Its usually not higher than 7th or 8th, which would've been the case here without Mclaren setup gamble not working and Sainz's incident. This is the nadir of their performance this season and result today flatters them in terms of points but the pace is not really that different from the past few weeks.
OK true :D good analysis
You don't know that this wasn't McLaren best setup option. It does show that like in Canada, when they feel the need for top speed, they're lacking. When they're at a track where DF is king, they flourish. One more dry lap and Norris would have been 8th. We'll see if they're in trouble at Monza.
With regards to Ferrari, is it just me that seems to think that their drivers are over anxiously and take turns at taking themselves out of races?
I think if it was dry throughout it would've been clearer. Canada was pre-upgrades so completely different situation. Yes, their straight line speed, tyre deg and slow corners with traction are weak points but to what extent remains to be seen. Austria they were better than AM despite having lot of straights and slow corners. Here they opted for a high DF setup clearly anticipating weather throughout the weekend. They will be good in Monza I think. Maybe not 2nd best but better than AM unless next round of AM updates make significant improvement.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 20:52
diffuser wrote:
organic wrote:

OK true :D good analysis
You don't know that this wasn't McLaren best setup option. It does show that like in Canada, when they feel the need for top speed, they're lacking. When they're at a track where DF is king, they flourish. One more dry lap and Norris would have been 8th. We'll see if they're in trouble at Monza.
With regards to Ferrari, is it just me that seems to think that their drivers are over anxiously and take turns at taking themselves out of races?
I think if it was dry throughout it would've been clearer. Canada was pre-upgrades so completely different situation. Yes, their straight line speed, tyre deg and slow corners with traction are weak points but to what extent remains to be seen. Austria they were better than AM despite having lot of straights and slow corners. Here they opted for a high DF setup clearly anticipating weather throughout the weekend. They will be good in Monza I think. Maybe not 2nd best but better than AM unless next round of AM updates make significant improvement.
Yeah, I'm a AMR fan and the glass is half full. McLaren are faster but finished 17 seconds behind.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando overtakes 3 cars in 15 seconds

peewon

diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 21:45
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Yeah, I'm a AMR fan and the glass is half full. McLaren are faster but finished 17 seconds behind.
I try not to let my fandom obscure my judgement. Sure, what you said is correct but how encouraging it is requires proper context. Even if AM finish ahead of Mclaren on pace this season, and thats a big IF from where Im looking, is that the ultimate goal? For me, they've already got podiums, so any performance indicator has to point towards contending for wins and seeing how far off they are, I cant get too excited. This is why I was one of the more critical people of their decision making in Monaco. They had the chance to win and fumbled it away to secure 2nd. And my immediate thought was, "they might not ever get that chance again".

zoroastar

peewon wrote:
organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:43
peewon wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:42

They are a pit stop gap to Mercedes, Ferrari and probably Mclaren if they got their setup right. RB is another pit stop gap ahead of those teams. Im not sure thats cause for optimism unless the aim is to finish 4th in constructors.
It's better than barely getting into the points on pure pace. The situation is reality
They are solidly the 5th best team ahead of Alpine, although they are not a million miles behind so finishing in the points should be straight forward. Its usually not higher than 7th or 8th, which would've been the case here without Mclaren setup gamble not working and Sainz's incident. This is the nadir of their performance this season and result today flatters them in terms of points but the pace is not really that different from the past few weeks.
are you saying mclaren didnt have enough sense to look at the weather forecast and set things up for the dry race? they must be incompetent. did they set the car up only for the sprint race? or perhaps for friday practice?

zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 21:45
peewon wrote:
diffuser wrote:

is it as depressing for you as it is for me coming in here and watching every single person about to jump off of a cliff? some of the people arent here today because they didnt have enough negativity to throw around with the decent performance aston had today.its kinda sad haha